D22 ZD30 - Fan Blowing Fuse

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TiredMule

perpetually lost
Reaction score
Hiya,

I'm new here, but have had a look through the forum and haven't been able to find anything that matches my problem specifically.

I recently bought a 2006 D22 ZD30 and the fan isn't working at all on any setting (zero air flow, unless driving quick)

Dug around and found the 15A fuses have blown in the drivers side box inside. Replaced them and they instantly blew again, not even long enough for me to see if the fan worked.

From my research and look over the wiring diagrams/service manual (of which I barely understand), it could be the blower motor, the fan resistor or any of the connections. Might be a silly question but how am I meant to test connections if the fuses wont last?

I've inherited a bit a rough dual battery setup with a mess of wiring and other mods, the ute wasn't nicely treated but I'm excited about putting some love and blood into it. I'm just getting a bit stumped with this one.

Should note some options I'm considering are:
  • cleaning/wire brushing all the battery connections
  • taking off the blower motor and checking for debris
  • replacing the fan resistor (but its $50 aftermarket)
  • disconnecting as much as I can from the secondary battery and seeing if the fuses still blow.
Any thoughts would be welcome!

Thanks!

Here's something to try to start off: turn OFF the fan, replace the fuse, turn the CAR on (not the fan). How's the fuse? If the fuse is still ok, turn the car off, remove the fan resistor pack, turn the car on, then turn the fan on (it should NOT work, but we're not testing that). Does the fuse blow?

If the fuse blows, it's the circuit leading into the fan system (so, something behind the dash most likely, perhaps someone's done some fancy wiring and attached it to the air control wiring for power). You'll need to pop the panel for the fan controls out and make sure the wiring loom is ok.

If the fuse is ok, it could be a damaged fan. If you've had the motor out, have you tried spinning it or has it siezed (this will make it blow fuses!). If it turns, what happens when you try connecting it directly to power (no fuses, do this on a workbench) ?

Here's something to try to start off: turn OFF the fan, replace the fuse, turn the CAR on (not the fan). How's the fuse? If the fuse is still ok, turn the car off, remove the fan resistor pack, turn the car on, then turn the fan on (it should NOT work, but we're not testing that). Does the fuse blow?

If the fuse blows, it's the circuit leading into the fan system (so, something behind the dash most likely, perhaps someone's done some fancy wiring and attached it to the air control wiring for power). You'll need to pop the panel for the fan controls out and make sure the wiring loom is ok.

If the fuse is ok, it could be a damaged fan. If you've had the motor out, have you tried spinning it or has it siezed (this will make it blow fuses!). If it turns, what happens when you try connecting it directly to power (no fuses, do this on a workbench) ?
Thanks for the stepped out troubleshooting! I'll get onto it and let you know how I get on

If the fuse is ok, it could be a damaged fan. If you've had the motor out, have you tried spinning it or has it siezed (this will make it blow fuses!). If it turns, what happens when you try connecting it directly to power (no fuses, do this on a workbench)
So I may have found the problem ...

Went through the troubleshooting process you suggested and got all the way to taking off the blower motor.

As I was upside down in the passenger footwell, unscrewed it, started to pull it off and about 200ml of water came pouring out from inside.

I'm thinking the last owner drove it too deep in a crossing and got water in the A/C intake.

It has a snorkel, but I think that's just for the engine air intake?

Now I'm thinking what else could be damaged if water got that high? Any areas you guys think I should look at? It drives fine, and all I've noticed is a bit of a leaky rocker cover gasket that I'll get too eventually.

I'm already in love with the bugger and want to get the ute healthy again!

I'd check the air conditioning drain hose, I'd say that might be blocked (mud wasps love hoses around here). It might have just filled from condensation!

I'd check the air conditioning drain hose, I'd say that might be blocked (mud wasps love hoses around here). It might have just filled from condensation!
it was really clean, didn't have a boggy smell or anything. We had just had some rain, but it was the first in weeks and this fan hadn't been working for some time.

I'll check the drain hose in the morning :)

all that water has caused a short circuit. Bad earths or wiring that's exposed the conductor(copper) can also cause a 'short circuit' which draws too much current. I would consider taking putting it back to standard single battery setup whilst you figure it all out.

Latest posts

Back