D22 YD25 limp mode?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samt9892

Reaction score
Hi,

My 2013 D22 YD25 (244000kms) started having a rough idle a few days ago after start up. Hunting from its usual idling rpm of 750 up to almost 1000. Thought it was just the cold weather starting in WA.

Then today when driving to work I started to loose most of the power and my injectors became suspiciously quieter than usual (they are noisy normally when under load).

Turned on my bluetooth scan tool and noticed that the fuel rail pressure wasn't ever rising above 70000kPa on the live graphs.

Turning the car off and on again corrected this, but the next time I would have to idle in traffic for longer than about 30 seconds the same thing would happen.

After work my car immediately threw an engine code on startup:
- P0089 - Fuel Pressure regulator performance

Did some troubleshooting tonight including:
- clear hose from fuel filter line to injector pump - no air lock, system primes and holds pressure fine using the hand pump on the filter
- Loosened fuel cap - no sucking in of air and made no difference to performance
- checked the fuel pressure relief value on the back of the common rail - removed return hose and got her up to 4000rpm, no fuel leaking out so don't think that valve is bleeding pressure, I did find it weird that the hose from the valve was pressurised though and diesel would flow out when removed from the valve and the motor running (I thought that was just a return line for excess diesel / pressure ?)
- Last fill-up was from a large shell in central Perth, though I will top her up from elsewhere to dilute any bad fuel in the tank
- last fuel filter change was <5000km ago
- leaving batteries off tonight to reset the ECU

Went for another drive this evening and managed to replicate the same fault - again only starts after driving for a bit then idling for >30 seconds, after that engine load stays <33% and rail pressure <70000kPa always.

I have uploaded a picture of the log from the evening drive (OBD-II reader)
you can clearly see after I stop for the second time and idle for a while the fuel pressure / engine load refuses to go up despite me booting it.. (top graph is engine load %)

Anyone had anything similar happen with their D22? Reading that this is a pretty common thing with the D40s and the SCV is to blame?

Don't really have a mechanic I can trust in Perth and as a poor PhD student I'm hoping this isn't the injector pump $$

Any suggestions / advice much appreciated!

Cheers
Sam
Screenshot_20220428-210523.jpg

Last edited:
I'm new to Navara, so I can't help you sorry, but what software do you use? I'm using torque lite.
Thanks and hope you'll get her fix soon

I'm new to Navara, so I can't help you sorry, but what software do you use? I'm using torque lite.
Thanks and hope you'll get her fix soon

I use 'Car Scanner Pro' with an OBD-AUS reader. Tried torque pro but couldn't get it to connect to my reader - suspect it was something to do with having 2 OBD apps installed at the same time.

Thanks Old Tony - I will try the fuel system cleaner and a top up at BP at the weekend and report back 👍

Filled up with BP ultimate and ran a bottle of that Liqui Moly Fuel system cleaner that @Old.Tony kindly linked.

Unfortunately the issue persisted over the weekend - I get maybe a maximum of 10 minutes use from the car before limp mode is entered and the fuel rail pressure is limited.

Just purchased a new SCV from Repco for $170 on sale, so will try that this week.
Found one video online about SCV replacement in the D22 2.5:

Has anyone done this job themselves? looks pretty easy just 2 hex bolts, though access isn't great, anyone has some tips on the process?

Cheers
Sam

It's usually 2 torx bolts, so be careful there. That, and the electrical connector. Apply a little diesel to the thing before insertion.

I can't do my own any more, unless it's around a motorsport event when I'm taking enough antinflammatories to keep Uncle Arthur at bay, otherwise my hands just can't undo the electrical connection let alone manipulate the torx wrench.

So I changed the SCV today,

Its was a pretty easy job - just remove the two fuel return lines that are in the way and make sure the rubber gasket is seated on the back of the fuel pump (rather than on the back of the SCV where it can move and pinch)

I started the car and the rough idle had gone, but the rail pressure was 90000Kpa which was way too high and the injectors were loud. Confused, I took the car for a short drive and it went back into limp mode and threw the same engine code.

I then did the pedal dance ecu reset as follows:
1. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch ON and wait 3 seconds.
2. Repeat the following procedure quickly five times within 5 seconds.
3. Fully depress the accelerator pedal.
4. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
5. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 10 seconds until the MI starts blinking.
6. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
— ECM has entered to Diagnostic Test Mode II (Self-diagnostic results).
7. Switch Ignition off to exit

Restarted the car and rail pressure down to a stable 30000kpa and limp mode gone!

Will do a longer drive tomorrow but I'm pretty sure this is fixed

To anyone doing this in the future - remember to reset the ECU after an SCV change :)

Cheers 🍻
Sam

Nope 0 problems ever since! Fuel consumption improved slightly and just idles slightly higher now until the vehicle comes to a complete stop (never used to do that before the change). SCV was a Repco one from memory. Cheers

Nope 0 problems ever since! Fuel consumption improved slightly and just idles slightly higher now until the vehicle comes to a complete stop (never used to do that before the change). SCV was a Repco one from memory. Cheers
Hi @samt9892 i have a limp mode issue myself in a 07 D40 2.5, if i give it too much pedal in one heavy press i have had limp mode come on.

No probs at idle etc though or casual driving letting the revs go up normally. It was bad the other day on the freeway had it happen for first time and had to pull over at 100 n just in time with a double carriage semi screaming past me. Way too close a call so i should do something very soon about this.

My cheap ELM is connecting on Car Scanner free, which it wouldn't on its stock app in the instructions, but not able to read the Obd-II sensor info, so i'll try a OBD-AUS one asap to get readings.

Ive had codes i don't know what yet a few times intermittently but had them clear by themselves.

So i need to work that out.

I have an important question to you/ anyone else that can answer RE: THE PEDAL DANCE that sorted you after u replaced your SCV.

See following message

Hi @samt9892 i have a limp mode issue myself in a 07 D40 2.5, if i give it too much pedal in one heavy press i have had limp mode come on.

No probs at idle etc though or casual driving letting the revs go up normally. It was bad the other day on the freeway had it happen for first time and had to pull over at 100 n just in time with a double carriage semi screaming past me. Way too close a call so i should do something very soon about this.

My cheap ELM is connecting on Car Scanner free, which it wouldn't on its stock app in the instructions, but not able to read the Obd-II sensor info, so i'll try a OBD-AUS one asap to get readings.

Ive had codes i don't know what yet a few times intermittently but had them clear by themselves.

So i need to work that out.

I have an important question to you/ anyone else that can answer RE: THE PEDAL DANCE that sorted you after u replaced your SCV.

See following message
So @samt9892 & anyone else who can instruct on the exact procedure of the pedal dance please.

I've looked it up before here, seen varying instructions & i imagine its gotta be exactly right to work!

In your description,
Some of what u wrote didn't make sense to me, your notes...*

*Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch ON and wait 3 seconds.

(DO I HOLD IT DOWN FIRST BEFORE THAT?? AND FOR HOW LONG)

2. Repeat the following procedure quickly five times within 5 seconds.

(DO I TURN IGNITION A CLICK LEFT TO OFF, THEN HOLD/RELEASE ACCEL, THEN TURN IGNITION ON & WAIT 3 SECONDS??
HOW IS ONE SUPPOSED TO DO THAT 5 TIMES W/IN 5 SECONDS??)
🤣 -PLEASE ELABORATE IF U CAN-
What exactly to do there.. Please.

3. Fully depress the accelerator pedal.

(OK)

4. Fully release the accelerator pedal.

(OK)

5. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 10 seconds until the MI starts blinking.

(OK)

6. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
— ECM has entered to Diagnostic Test Mode II (Self-diagnostic results).

7. Switch Ignition off to exit

(OK)
Then i would think.. what else?
Anything?

Start the car & see if its corrected?
go for a nice 15-20min drive around if so mildly til it relearns, pull the car up, turn the ignition right off and should be saved ?

Sorry all the questions, so many different variations of pedal dances haha when looking on this forum, others or googling how to do it.
Think i had a very complete one of what you said in a browser tab somewhere, but i just want to get this procedure down pat with perfect instructions so i can stay out that limp mode out there, its downright dangerous and I'm not a fan of how these vehicles can limp mode at all!

I tried the battery trick to reset the fuel sys/ecu l, then went for a drive & it did nothing if barely anything at all i noticed in any regard
My other issues a under load black soot and loss of power.
It seemed to restore some power doing the battery reset trick,
But not much and still blowing alot of soot under load but probably half as much and not as black :😎

Latest posts

Back