D22 runs perfectly. stops and won't start until had a rest, then runs perfectly for 10-15ks please help

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Q: Does a ECU need to be specific or set somehow for the fuel pump or are they interchangeable.

Well just to muddy the waters a bit - I bought an exchange re-mapped ecu from Baet and had to supply the injector codes upon ordering.
Explanation from him being that each injector is a little different and the ecu needs to be programmed to take that into account.

Well just to muddy the waters a bit - I bought an exchange re-mapped ecu from Baet and had to supply the injector codes upon ordering.
Explanation from him being that each injector is a little different and the ecu needs to be programmed to take that into account.
I read on their website that this was required for the YD25, but they didn't request it for the ZD30. Presumably only required for common rail?
I was able to do a straight swap with my remapped ECU

I read on their website that this was required for the YD25, but they didn't request it for the ZD30. Presumably only required for common rail?
I was able to do a straight swap with my remapped ECU

Ah yes - my ignorance re ZD's.
I had no idea they were not common rail.

There's a map to reduce fuel at high engine temps but it doesn't start till 110c.
Your problem sounds like the mofset failure in the vp44 ecu. I can't think of anything else that would explain what's happening .

Let it get hot and shut down , if it won't restart pour water on top of the vp44 for a couple of minutes to cool it down , then try starting it , if it goes then i'd say it's the VP44 ecu failure.

Rumpig, Cheers,

Should be borrowing a (main) ECU from Boogieboots this weekend and will try that first just to rule that out.

But as you say if its not the main ECU then it has to be the VP44 ECU.

The temps around the VP44 never reach above 82 degrees (measured externally with a temp gun) but the internal could well be hotter... or the map temp reduce may be kicking in at 82.

Q: if BB ECU makes no difference and we conclude that its either new/recon VP44 or a Removal of VP44 and a look at it on a bench has, anyone viewing this thread ever Removed a VP44 from a ZD30 NN ?

if so do you recon slow learner can manage it ?

if Slowlearner gets it off has anyone on this site got involved with the circuitry in the VP44 ECU. ?

I haven't remove one but others have , can be tricky as the timing gear is a scissor gear and needs to locked , stuff it up and it can be hard to line everything up again.
The VP44 was fitted to lots of cars from different manufactures and the Mofset failure isn't real common but does happen . Some have fixed it themselves but from the pics of seen it's a pretty delicate operation , think "heart surgery".
Do a google image search for "VP44 Mofset repair " and you should find some threads from some European forums about it. It wasn't always the Mofset failing either , some times it was a wire about the thickness of a strand of hair and i think it is all encased in something like silicon so not a straight forward soldering job.

For those in the future chasing down an outcome - for me the D22 was sold to a wrecker for $1400. It was out of rego and my thinking was was the cost of replacing the pump and registering the car was close to or equalled the resale value of the car which I figured around $8k (or $6.4 if you take off the wrecker money). Not a happy choice but I hope Slow Learner has fared better. Thanks to all who have helped.

Reaching out here to anyone who has had this fault or has the knowledge to help me keep the D22 running further than 10-15ks

Just driving at 100k and suddenly it was as if the fuel had been cut. as I started to pull over she leaped into life again. all dash lights on and just trucking as usual, 5ks later I pulled over and turned her off, she won't start. the battery was turning her and I could hear the fuel pump but no fire.

just left her and went home. returned six hours later and she started first time. drove her home

following day checked the battery and charged it over night, it was slightly low but took charge. checked the alternator and she was pumping out the Vs

figured I would change the diesel filter so went ahead and did that.

drove perfectly for 8ks when I returned to start her no good.... had her at Nissan and no fault can they find..... praying for an answer.
Could it be as simple as a dodgy fuel cut off relay?

Latest posts

Back