d22 lift kit already installed do I need a body lift now?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disdat.hemi

Reaction score
I had an Ironman lift kit installed & never having done this before thought I’d then be able to just put larger tyres on🙄Well apparently not! Do I now need a body lift & should that have been done when Ironman did the lift kit. I thought they would have for $2500. Thanks

Last edited:
$2500 for a complete suspension upgrade = not bad. Mine (ARB) was getting near that, 11 years ago!

I suppose it depends on how large a tyre you're trying to fit underneath. Remember that the wheel diameter forms part of the total drive train gear ratio, so making the wheels too large requires more power to get moving, changing down gears earlier on hills and probably heating up the clutch a little more than usual when towing.

Can you put on larger tyres and a body lift as well? Eg. 50 + 50mm or is it one or the other? I think it is 50mm lift total sum of whatever techniques you size, but I am not sure of the rules. Big fines if you get it wrong.

On the D40’s I believe you can fit 285/65 17” tyres, but that takes 8” rims, the standard are 7.5”. I am told the speedo now shows the right speed as well.
It makes the tyres the same as a Toyota 200 series as an additional benefit.
New 8” rims are about $300/wheel.

Tony. I have ARB as well. And for a bit over a grand (plus the original arb mod costs) I now have my gvm increased by 300kg. Well worth it. I think Pedders only give a 200kg increase, total for that system is $4,500.

For NSW it is a maximum 50mm raised suspension plus maximum of 7% increase in tyre diameter (over largest size on tyre placard) to a maximum lift of 75mm in total. There are also rules about max/min travel in either direction (from bumpstops) at the front. Think it's 1/3 - 2/3's. No specialized UCA's or body lifts at all without approval.

For an ST-R D22 the 265/70 r16's have a diameter of 777.4mm, so the maximum allowed tyre diameter is 831.8mm. A 32" tyre (265/75/r16) will usually go straight on and is fine (804mm diameter), but a normal 33" (285/75/r16) at 834mm would need approval (as well as be high and wide enough to be difficult to fit).

Don't take that as gospel though. Have a look for yourself, here's the link, section 3 is the relevant one.

https://www.nsw.gov.au/sites/defaul...cations-manual-suspension-and-ride-height.pdf

Last edited:
^ I'd take that as gospel, because them's the rules.

Seriously though: you can exceed this slightly without any concern as long as 1) it's not excessive and 2) you don't drive in a way that draws the attention of the traffic police. My own car - with ARB Dakar dual-rate leaf springs - rose 43mm in the front and 85mm in the back (I always use standard tyres nowadays) - but I'm known for (painfully) adhering to the speed limit and for stopping completely at stop signs - often to the aggravation of those behind me who don't seem to care that we have traffic laws (yes, I've been honked at for stopping at stop signs!).

I had an Ironman lift kit installed & never having done this before thought I’d then be able to just put larger tyres on🙄Well apparently not! Do I now need a body lift & should that have been done when Ironman did the lift kit. I thought they would have for $2500. Thanks
What size tyres are you trying to fit?

Latest posts

Back