D22 lacking boost/ power

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fnoke

Reaction score
Hi there ! I’ve got a 2012 D22 ST-R 2.5.
Drove it to work just fine and then driving home it was as if it had no boost at all. Could hardly climb over 80km/h, very slow climbing RPM and gets worse in higher gears.

Checked MAF sensor, checked my intercooler and it seemed fine. Changed my boost hoses which made a small improvement but problem still persists.
Can hear the turbo spooling but next project is to pull it out and check it.

has anyone had an issue like this ? I’ve run it with an EGR block for about 3 months without an issue and installed a catch can.

Pull the hose off the front of the turbocharger and wiggle the shaft. It shouldn't wiggle, it should rotate smoothly although it shouldn't spin like mad, there should normally be a small amount of "weight" and it should stop fairly quickly. If this isn't the case - wobble in the shaft, for instance - your turbocharger may have failed.

To be sure, pop the outlet hose off the turbocharger and wipe your finger on the inside of the pipe. Under a very bright light, inspect your finger - if there's any glitter, it's a sign that the impeller may be rubbing against the housing which means the turbo is definitely gone.

However, there are other reasons. Fuel pump issues (not so common with that D22), clogged fuel filter (could happen to anyone), muck over the fuel tank pickup - particularly in an alpine area that's not using winterised diesel.

Start by checking the turbo just to rule out one high priced item (the fuel pump is another, but I suspect not unless you've had some bad fuel contamination).

Did you refuel during this trip?

Pull the hose off the front of the turbocharger and wiggle the shaft. It shouldn't wiggle, it should rotate smoothly although it shouldn't spin like mad, there should normally be a small amount of "weight" and it should stop fairly quickly. If this isn't the case - wobble in the shaft, for instance - your turbocharger may have failed.

To be sure, pop the outlet hose off the turbocharger and wipe your finger on the inside of the pipe. Under a very bright light, inspect your finger - if there's any glitter, it's a sign that the impeller may be rubbing against the housing which means the turbo is definitely gone.

However, there are other reasons. Fuel pump issues (not so common with that D22), clogged fuel filter (could happen to anyone), muck over the fuel tank pickup - particularly in an alpine area that's not using winterised diesel.

Start by checking the turbo just to rule out one high priced item (the fuel pump is another, but I suspect not unless you've had some bad fuel contamination).

Did you refuel during this trip?
Thank you, I’m currently pulling the turbo off to check it and see if the wastegate is working properly.

It doesn’t really seem to be fuel only cause it’s not shuddering and it has clean revs. It happened after half the tank so I doubt it’s the problem but if the turbo is fine then it’s my next step.

*Fixed*
Thought I’d write down my fix just in case some one else might have this issue.

I thought the issue was weird as it was very sudden as if something had blown. I had noticed as well that the rubber grommet stopper for my break pedal had broken as my break lights were left on.

I tested the turbo and the wastegate was fine, and I chucked a bolt in for a temporary fix for the break pedal.
Thought the break pedal thing was a bit far fetched to be the problem but now the car runs fine again. Maybe it’s just under fuelling cause it thinks the breaks are left on.

Last edited:
*Fixed*
Thought I’d write down my fix just in case some one else might have this issue.

I thought the issue was weird as it was very sudden as if something had blown. I had noticed as well that the rubber grommet stopper for my break pedal had broken as my break lights were left on.

I tested the turbo and the wastegate was fine, and I chucked a bolt in for a temporary fix for the break pedal.
Thought the break pedal thing was a bit far fetched to be the problem but now the car runs fine again. Maybe it’s just under fuelling cause it thinks the breaks are left on.
that makes sense.
i have heard of it with autos and people having feet on the brake and gas at the same time.

Hi there ! I’ve got a 2012 D22 ST-R 2.5.
Drove it to work just fine and then driving home it was as if it had no boost at all. Could hardly climb over 80km/h, very slow climbing RPM and gets worse in higher gears.

Checked MAF sensor, checked my intercooler and it seemed fine. Changed my boost hoses which made a small improvement but problem still persists.
Can hear the turbo spooling but next project is to pull it out and check it.

has anyone had an issue like this ? I’ve run it with an EGR block for about 3 months without an issue and installed a catch can.
Hi
Check if the hose that connects to the throttle body is tight enough and not sucking in air which may cause the engine to be sluggish and loose the vacuum pressure.

Hi
Check if the hose that connects to the throttle body is tight enough and not sucking in air which may cause the engine to be sluggish and loose the vacuum pressure.
Thanks for the reply, turns out the issue was from my break pedal stopper had broken and my car quite possibly under fuelling cause of the break pedal being “stuck on”.

Latest posts

Back