D22 Gearbox

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradles

Reaction score
Question- is the 5spd 4wd gearbox used in the 3.0L D22 (ZD30) the same as the as the gearbox used in the later 2.5L models?. I shared an earlier post that my gearbox has given up first so I am looking at low km s/h gearboxes and was wondering if one from a later model might be suitable. Any help appreciated.

This is
Found this link Bradles that will give you some info on differences between ZD30 and YD25 model. Same gearboxes it seems.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mSxcKP9yZghYnS5E-aRWHpfEMrhMYoEQ/view
Has anyone ever swapped the bell housings on these, much involved in doing it?

This is not for YD25 4WD though. I believe they have a different gearbox. Also better to upgrade to a heavier duty box while you are at it especially if you tow as the factory ones are not the best for this.

This is

This is not for YD25 4WD though. I believe they have a different gearbox. Also better to upgrade to a heavier duty box while you are at it especially if you tow as the factory ones are not the best for this.

If you look again you will see that it actually says in the diagram under "YD25DDTi models only"..."Transmission Assembly (4WD Model)" and is the same gearbox as ZD30. The YD25DDTi model also has a 2wd counterpart.

Only posted this to illustrate the bell housings are different.

ps. what exactly are you referring to as an upgraded "heavier duty" gearbox. I tried to get a problem gearbox "upgraded" once but the bloke rebuilding them was either too honest or ignorant. The advice was not to waste your money and put it towards a car that is designed to do what you are using it for to begin with.

Last edited:
In this link under "General Specifications" it lists the gearboxes for each model. All 4WD models (except for KA24DE) use the exact same gearbox. Including later model YD25's which also have the same ratios. The VG33E and QD32 have slightly different ratios in 5th.

The only problem might be changing the bell housing. Not seeing that being much of a problem either, but it would be good to hear from someone with experience.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1U2PYAb3PL-5p9ISWt4U1bT7n9wmBcomm/view

Last edited:
I remember asking an old fella who rebuilt gearboxes once if he could do an "upgrade" or "heavy duty" rebuild on mine (another brand). His answer stuck with me and I found the logic difficult to fault (and have generally found it correct).

His answer was roughly...."gearboxes in general are designed to certain tolerances and only take certain size parts. But what I could do is rebuild it with the best parts I can source and then tell you it's had a heavy duty "upgrade"if it would make you feel better? lol.

He then explained that the thinking behind buying something and then trying to upgrade to get it to do what you need, is a reasonably good indication that you have bought the wrong car to begin with. Though I don't doubt some might disagree.

Back