D22 first timer

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Costal19

Reaction score
Cheers guys,

Bought a 2010 D22 YD25 ST-R with 178000 on the clock about 3 month ago. Part of the reason why I decided to go with it was that reading trough this and other Navara forums and the D22 appears to be an amazing (but apparently gutless) Ute.

So far I'm absolutely happy with it.
- Have a squeaking clutch Paddel but found out what the reason is (just haven't fixed it yet.
- air con needs a regas as I can't handle the heat anymore (Perth, Western Australia)
- quite a bit of steering play but that seems to be common and doesn't seem like I can adjust it.

BUT just yesterday my clutch went. Not a lot of sign of it. Patel didn't come back half way. Pulled it up. Pulled over. Had 1st gear in. Car jumped and died (due to being in gear and me on the brake). Pedal is loose. Can move it freely from top to bottom. First thought clutch cable ripped as it was so sudden. Made it home thanks to being a manual and diesel and was lucky to not have any red lights on the way.

It seems like the master cylinder, slave cylinder and ether whole hydraulic system is fine. The clutch fork however is really loos. From what I found it might just be a broken clutch fork but might as well get the whole clutch changed as it has never been done and if it it apart might just do it.
Don't have the space nor tools to do it myself so have to find a mechanic who can do it soon as I wanted to do a trip next week.

So much for me and my Navara. Still love it. Not planning of giving it away. Hope I won't have more of those troubles 😁

Cheers

Attachments

• 630A0980-59FD-4480-A73B-F946BC5270A4.jpeg
    630A0980-59FD-4480-A73B-F946BC5270A4.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
The D22 is a great vehicle, less ramp-over than the D40, slightly narrower wheeltrack and just handles most of what's thrown at it. I drove one for a while and enjoyed it - sure, it had slightly less power than my D40 but for most purposes you're not using full power anyway.

Replacing the clutch and pressure plate with a HD unit will make it last forever if you're not hauling 3T up a boat ramp daily.

The beauty of the D22 is that they were made for so long there will never be a shortage of spares!
Regardless of problems you do have, you will find heaps of support here🍻

And looking at next week's weather, might be worth getting on that AC sooner rather than later!

The D22 is a great vehicle, less ramp-over than the D40, slightly narrower wheeltrack and just handles most of what's thrown at it. I drove one for a while and enjoyed it - sure, it had slightly less power than my D40 but for most purposes you're not using full power anyway.

Replacing the clutch and pressure plate with a HD unit will make it last forever if you're not hauling 3T up a boat ramp daily.
Two thoughts re your comments Tony: Low range with the hubs out will pull anything anywhere without smoking the clutch. Re D22 power - they are pretty gutless. I stuck a Baet remap ecu in my YD and its made a significant difference. Nothing over the top, just feels like a normal vehicle as opposed to an asthmatic one.

Do the Fork and pivot pin also, obviously spigot and rear main :) I'd put kits through the master and slave cylinders... new hose too.. check part numbers!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221229-125438_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221229-125438_Chrome.jpg
    841.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20221229-125456_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221229-125456_Chrome.jpg
    496.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20221229-125513_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221229-125513_Chrome.jpg
    559.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20221229-125536_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221229-125536_Chrome.jpg
    534.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20221229-125615_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221229-125615_Chrome.jpg
    522.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20221229-125611_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221229-125611_Chrome.jpg
    490.6 KB · Views: 0
I'd rethink the heavy duty clutch if you do most of your driving around town. People who have done it have posted elsewhere that it's a pain.

When taking off from stopped, I don't touch the throttle until the clutch is all the way out unless I have to (hill start towing etc).

Mine has towed heavy loads pretty much daily for 9.5 years on the factory clutch.

Do you sleep under your Nav BaW?
The amount of work you are always doing will give people the idea they are unreliable 😂
Oh man, I've got a 1st reverse gear selection issue, and a coolant leak that's coming from the heater pipe to head area but can't work it out.. Doesn't do it all the time, just every now and again I get a small puddle, very weird..
I pulled it apart today and can't see any real issue with heater pipes and rubber hose, although the barb that goes into the thermostat area has lost the lip "raised section round the top of the barb connector that holds the hose with the camp" in places and maybe it pushing past that?? I can't find a replacement in Australia atm grrr
The coolant stain can be seen round that area but not from a certain place, it looked like it may have been coming from the head and bloke!
I honestly thinking of parting it out lol, or fit a reco motor and box...

Clutch - its pretty common for these rigs to still be on the original clutch at 400, 000k's. sometimes HD can be a bstrd. Very heavy to push in, I think this can be sorted by changing to an upgraded slave cylinder? Otherwise in the long term there may be potential for firewall cracking.

Steering - maybe change your draglink, the ball joints in them wear out fairly regularly and yours is probably the original. (consider them a consumable, i'd guess 100, 000k's at best) check tie rods at the same time.

I'd rethink the heavy duty clutch if you do most of your driving around town. People who have done it have posted elsewhere that it's a pain.

When taking off from stopped, I don't touch the throttle until the clutch is all the way out unless I have to (hill start towing etc).

Mine has towed heavy loads pretty much daily for 9.5 years on the factory clutch.
Clutch - its pretty common for these rigs to still be on the original clutch at 400, 000k's. sometimes HD can be a bstrd. Very heavy to push in, I think this can be sorted by changing to an upgraded slave cylinder? Otherwise in the long term there may be potential for firewall cracking.

Steering - maybe change your draglink, the ball joints in them wear out fairly regularly and yours is probably the original. (consider them a consumable, i'd guess 100, 000k's at best) check tie rods at the same time.
I don't have the experience but so far most people told me that if I don't have an issue with a heavy clutch then I should go HD and don't worry about it any more. I get your arguments and now are thinking about if the HD one is a bad idea. I guess a standard could last long without issues or again break quick and the HD could last long or give me a headache. You never know before hand but now I'm unsure which way I should go 😅

446ks on a factory clutch here, and it is always loaded and towing.
It really just comes down to the person operating the equipment.

446ks on a factory clutch here, and it is always loaded and towing.
It really just comes down to the person operating the equipment.
Agree. Bought it with 176k and now it's gone with 184k. What must someone do to wreck it in such a short amount of time 🤦🏼‍♂️

Im 1 that supports that the stock clutch is the way to go. They are already heavy duty enough. Im on 246 000km on the original one and its still no signs of premature wear. I guess it all comes down to the user just like brake pads.

Im 1 that supports that the stock clutch is the way to go. They are already heavy duty enough. Im on 246 000km on the original one and its still no signs of premature wear. I guess it all comes down to the user just like brake pads.
Usually I'm the same. As it was my first Navara and I read way too much and had to do a rather quick decision it was then the HD clutch in the end.
Have to say it feels absolutely great, not hard to push at all so let's hope I won't have any issues in the long run.

And yes, I absolutely agree that it comes down to the user. Unfortunately you never know how the previous owner(s) have driven and treated the vehicle.

Latest posts

Back