D22 engine rattle

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waynet

Reaction score
Hi guys, Im new here so please be gentle,
I have a 2008 D22, 2.5 Ltr Navara. Idles sweet, runs like a charm. I feel its a bit low on power but that may be because its only 98Kw. Fuel economy is, in my opinion great.
Here's the thing.
There is a weird rattle sound coming from the engine, it sounds a bit like loose tappets, (yes I know they dont have tappets as such) and it is definatly not faulty lifters.
So, drive down the road at about 2000 RPM this rattle is there, if I accelerate noise goes away, return to cruse noise is back, take foot off throttle noise is gone.
With just the slightest change of the throttle I can turn the rattle on and off, (weird hay)
Any help from you guys would be much appreciated.

It could be a slight leak from the gasket between the exhaust manifold and turbocharger. Look for sooty emissions around this point. Check elsewhere in the exhaust/EGR for soot too, because there have been a couple of reports of cracked EGR tubes in the past. The sooty streaks point right at the crack.

You might also run a bottle of Liqui Moly Fuel System Treatment through a tank of fuel in case the injectors are clacking a little. This is more common when it's cold, though, but the injector cleaner won't harm the car anyway.

It could be a slight leak from the gasket between the exhaust manifold and turbocharger. Look for sooty emissions around this point. Check elsewhere in the exhaust/EGR for soot too, because there have been a couple of reports of cracked EGR tubes in the past. The sooty streaks point right at the crack.

You might also run a bottle of Liqui Moly Fuel System Treatment through a tank of fuel in case the injectors are clacking a little. This is more common when it's cold, though, but the injector cleaner won'tks harm the car anyway.
Cheers Tony,
Definatly not an exhaust leak, that would increase under acceleration.
I have been using injector cleaner regularly.
Starting to think it may be one or more faulty injectors. Have ordered 4 new injectors (crap they are expensive) and see if that works.
Will post the outcome.

I know this may sound a little weird. Try spraying water on the engine belts when its making the noise. The belts on these engines give a loud rattle when they are worn. you would swear its a timing chain rattle. If the noise goes away once you wet them, then you've found the problem.

has that model have a clutch pulley on the alternator, during ACCELLARATION and DE accellaration is when the clutch is supposed to do its job,to check slacken the belt ,carfulley put a screw driver in to jam the armature. the pulley should turn firmly only ONE way if it turns loosely or both ways its stuffed, replace it ,you can buy removal tool on ebay. When its completely stuffed you will get belt flap and the tensioner bounces, and metallic rattle.. will sound like a chain rattle

I have a 2008 D22, 2.5 Ltr Navara. Idles sweet, runs like a charm. I feel its a bit low on power but that may be because its only 98Kw. Fuel economy is, in my opinion great.
Here's the thing.
There is a weird rattle sound coming from the engine, it sounds a bit like loose tappets, (yes I know they dont have tappets as such) and it is definatly not faulty lifters.
So, drive down the road at about 2000 RPM this rattle is there, if I accelerate noise goes away, return to cruse noise is back, take foot off throttle noise is gone.
With just the slightest change of the throttle I can turn the rattle on and off, (weird hay)
Hi Waynet, My D40 has the same rattle and if it is a little quieter as the day warms up and air temp increases it could be the same thing. I
have advised the Mechanics at service time since new and told it is injectors and normal, they have done pump reset and diagnostics and informed me all OK. I have found it much quieter in Summer and the opposite on frosty mornings.
Good luck, Peter

Thanks Stix, it dosent sound weird at all, I have tryed spraying the belts with CRC, didnt notice any change
so replaced the belts anyway but its still there.
I have heard of this one way alternator clutch before Izzibri, when I replaced the belts I spun the alternator to see if it made any bearing noise. I will definatly check this out, Thanks.
Noise dosent seem to change with change of temperature Peter and I have been told its injectors. ????
I have ordered new injectors, but not confident of what the outcome will be.
Thanks guys for all your help, realy appeciated.

I went through a similar problem after purchasing my 2010 D40. Injector rattle didn't quite fit the bill as no amount of injector additives helped at all. Wasn't belts and I had installed a dual row timing chain as soon as I had possession of the Ute. My guess was it may have been piston slap so had a shot at moving from 5w30 to 10w40 (still DPF friendly). Has done the trick for me and I really hope it works for you. I found the "pseudo tappet" noise was damn annoying and frustrating when I had to listen to it.

Hi gjr, you are damn right its annoying.
I have owned this ute for a year now and have tried everything, the noise was there when I bought it and the previous owner said it has been there all the time he owned it.
I did a service a week ago and used 10w40 Penrite but no change in sound.
Thanks for your help mate, Cheers.

Here's the thing.
Hi Waynet
Sorry to hear your troubles.Most Nissan diesel DCi engines experience that.What I ve learnt over years owning and learnt over my DIY service and repairs,the ANNOYING RATTLE sound is coming from the injectors not anywhere in the engine. It seems from my experience Nissan never advised us on the specific diesel type their engines are compatible with or designed them with changes in the additives that may added in future fuel technology. Although the RATTLE NOISE IS NOT HARMFUL, it is annoying when you drive.I did several trial and test errors which yielded good results at the end in rebuilding the D40 engines and I figured out the best fuel for that engine is currently the Shell V-Power 50ppm.If you want to test and hear best result finish up any left diesel ,clean up the tank,replace the fuel filters and replace fuel with SHELL V-POWER 50PPM.You shall notice very much difference in performance and you shall miss to hear the diesel engine sound of your truck/pickup/bakkie/ute as it called.it shall sound very quite after engine is hot and even more quieter like petrol engine on long country drives.The bakkie is a very good one and enjoyable to drive and has enormous power for its size at all.For more advise dont hesitate to chat.

Gees I’m scared to post here after all that, but after reading the very first post the rattle has exactly the same characteristics if little end/ wrist pin and excessive big end clearance. Have had one engine fail while driving and rebuilt others that had that exact noise come and go at no load /light load /overrun. In diesels it is not necessarily terminal, in petrol engines it is in my experience. But then again it could be other things, listening thru a stethoscope or long screwdriver to the ear will pin point it. Blunt end to the ear please. Oil pressure gauge can tell u a lot too if it’s anything to do with big ends although big ends on the way out have different noise under drive conditions.

Interested to know if u installed new injectors yet and if they made a difference.

Hi Erick, dont be scared now.
Injectors arived today and I will fit them when I get a day off, and will post results.
Nah, definatly not gudgen or bigend noise.
Been all over it with a Stethoscope but I dont have access to a Dyno so cant reproduce on road conditions.

Edit: offensive content removed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Baw, I am trying to ignor you and not take offence at your posts, and stop hiding behind dilexia. There are inteligent people here trying to carry on a discussion about something you clearly have no clue about.
Waynet, very well said ! I admire your restraint.
I certainly find this diatribe very tiresome and offensive. It is totally inappropriate for such a friendly and intelligent forum.
I will simply be skipping over his posts in future and not reading them.

Waynet, very well said ! I admire your restraint.
I certainly find this diatribe very tiresome and offensive. It is totally inappropriate for such a friendly and intelligent forum.
I will simply be skipping over his posts in future and not reading them.
Thanks Monsta,
I started this thread in good faith to ask a simple question, I certainly didnt expect to be attacked.
But hay, its all water off a ducks back to me.

I've cleaned the thread up. Guys, please remember it's a forum where we help each other out, and we should also remember that there are sometimes large differences in levels of experience and abilities, as well in our abilities to express and/or explain issues or even how to correct them.

as a point of interest i have stripped big ends on about 3 old well used motors, initial rattle would happen when i removed foot off accellerator, eventually it would be all the time .... i created a rattle on my mark 2 zephr once when i ran out of fuel walked to a farm house and only fuel they had was dry cleaning fuel about 2 ltrs which i think you could call it jet fuel its clear and smelly.. at the nearest servo i filled up with standard petrol.. this caused pre-detonation and a rattle. when i took it to an old mechanic to test drive it he immediately asked me what fuel did i put in , its now contaminated , never used any thing but petrol in the old girl i again
have a good yarn for ya all
, later they started using benzol mix which you coud buy at the bowzer , my old 440 cortina loved it , as a matter of fact that was my last fill at Kilmore , when i got a bit careless accellerating and got my self in a bad sutuation couldnt overtake a car that had qickley slowed in front of me no brake lights, oncoming traffic pulled back in locked my wheels
started to skid decided to let brake pedal off to try braking again. Must have permantly locked one drum , all i remember is a sensation of trees spinning and blue sky, off the road ,car ended up on its roof, had 3 brothers with me rember calling out is every one okey , i counted 3 yeses and boy was i releived . When we got out my brother said look at that damage on the back of the car there was a large branch behind the car he pointed up and sure enogh about 3-4 meters up , thats where it come from,the car had gone into a ditch did a nose forward flip and ripped the branch off the tree.. its now a good yarn but boy it could have been traggic .. take care we cant be too careful

as a point of interest i have stripped big ends on about 3 old well used motors, initial rattle would happen when i removed foot off accellerator, eventually it would be all the time .... i created a rattle on my mark 2 zephr once when i ran out of fuel walked to a farm house and only fuel they had was dry cleaning fuel about 2 ltrs which i think you could call it jet fuel its clear and smelly.. at the nearest servo i filled up with standard petrol.. this caused pre-detonation and a rattle. when i took it to an old mechanic to test drive it he immediately asked me what fuel did i put in , its now contaminated , never used any thing but petrol in the old girl i again
have a good yarn for ya all
, later they started using benzol mix which you coud buy at the bowzer , my old 440 cortina loved it , as a matter of fact that was my last fill at Kilmore , when i got a bit careless accellerating and got my self in a bad sutuation couldnt overtake a car that had qickley slowed in front of me no brake lights, oncoming traffic pulled back in locked my wheels
started to skid decided to let brake pedal off to try braking again. Must have permantly locked one drum , all i remember is a sensation of trees spinning and blue sky, off the road ,car ended up on its roof, had 3 brothers with me rember calling out is every one okey , i counted 3 yeses and boy was i releived . When we got out my brother said look at that damage on the back of the car there was a large branch behind the car he pointed up and sure enogh about 3-4 meters up , thats where it come from,the car had gone into a ditch did a nose forward flip and ripped the branch off the tree.. its now a good yarn but boy it could have been traggic .. take care we cant be too careful
Good story izzi,
Maybe we should start a new Forum, (dumb things we have done, And survived).
Good old days hay mate.

Hey mate, I have the exact problem. Did the injectors remedy this issue? Cheers.

Latest posts

Back