D22 engine rattle

The Navara Forum

Help Support The Navara Forum:

waynet

Reaction score
Hi guys, Im new here so please be gentle,
I have a 2008 D22, 2.5 Ltr Navara. Idles sweet, runs like a charm. I feel its a bit low on power but that may be because its only 98Kw. Fuel economy is, in my opinion great.
Here's the thing.
There is a weird rattle sound coming from the engine, it sounds a bit like loose tappets, (yes I know they dont have tappets as such) and it is definatly not faulty lifters.
So, drive down the road at about 2000 RPM this rattle is there, if I accelerate noise goes away, return to cruse noise is back, take foot off throttle noise is gone.
With just the slightest change of the throttle I can turn the rattle on and off, (weird hay)
Any help from you guys would be much appreciated.

Old.Tony

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It could be a slight leak from the gasket between the exhaust manifold and turbocharger. Look for sooty emissions around this point. Check elsewhere in the exhaust/EGR for soot too, because there have been a couple of reports of cracked EGR tubes in the past. The sooty streaks point right at the crack.

You might also run a bottle of Liqui Moly Fuel System Treatment through a tank of fuel in case the injectors are clacking a little. This is more common when it's cold, though, but the injector cleaner won't harm the car anyway.

waynet

Reaction score
It could be a slight leak from the gasket between the exhaust manifold and turbocharger. Look for sooty emissions around this point. Check elsewhere in the exhaust/EGR for soot too, because there have been a couple of reports of cracked EGR tubes in the past. The sooty streaks point right at the crack.

You might also run a bottle of Liqui Moly Fuel System Treatment through a tank of fuel in case the injectors are clacking a little. This is more common when it's cold, though, but the injector cleaner won'tks harm the car anyway.
Cheers Tony,
Definatly not an exhaust leak, that would increase under acceleration.
I have been using injector cleaner regularly.
Starting to think it may be one or more faulty injectors. Have ordered 4 new injectors (crap they are expensive) and see if that works.
Will post the outcome.

stix

Reaction score
I know this may sound a little weird. Try spraying water on the engine belts when its making the noise. The belts on these engines give a loud rattle when they are worn. you would swear its a timing chain rattle. If the noise goes away once you wet them, then you've found the problem.

izzibri@gmail.com

Reaction score
has that model have a clutch pulley on the alternator, during ACCELLARATION and DE accellaration is when the clutch is supposed to do its job,to check slacken the belt ,carfulley put a screw driver in to jam the armature. the pulley should turn firmly only ONE way if it turns loosely or both ways its stuffed, replace it ,you can buy removal tool on ebay. When its completely stuffed you will get belt flap and the tensioner bounces, and metallic rattle.. will sound like a chain rattle

Pedro55

Reaction score
I have a 2008 D22, 2.5 Ltr Navara. Idles sweet, runs like a charm. I feel its a bit low on power but that may be because its only 98Kw. Fuel economy is, in my opinion great.
Here's the thing.
There is a weird rattle sound coming from the engine, it sounds a bit like loose tappets, (yes I know they dont have tappets as such) and it is definatly not faulty lifters.
So, drive down the road at about 2000 RPM this rattle is there, if I accelerate noise goes away, return to cruse noise is back, take foot off throttle noise is gone.
With just the slightest change of the throttle I can turn the rattle on and off, (weird hay)
Hi Waynet, My D40 has the same rattle and if it is a little quieter as the day warms up and air temp increases it could be the same thing. I
have advised the Mechanics at service time since new and told it is injectors and normal, they have done pump reset and diagnostics and informed me all OK. I have found it much quieter in Summer and the opposite on frosty mornings.
Good luck, Peter

waynet

Reaction score
Thanks Stix, it dosent sound weird at all, I have tryed spraying the belts with CRC, didnt notice any change
so replaced the belts anyway but its still there.
I have heard of this one way alternator clutch before Izzibri, when I replaced the belts I spun the alternator to see if it made any bearing noise. I will definatly check this out, Thanks.
Noise dosent seem to change with change of temperature Peter and I have been told its injectors. ????
I have ordered new injectors, but not confident of what the outcome will be.
Thanks guys for all your help, realy appeciated.

gjr

Reaction score
I went through a similar problem after purchasing my 2010 D40. Injector rattle didn't quite fit the bill as no amount of injector additives helped at all. Wasn't belts and I had installed a dual row timing chain as soon as I had possession of the Ute. My guess was it may have been piston slap so had a shot at moving from 5w30 to 10w40 (still DPF friendly). Has done the trick for me and I really hope it works for you. I found the "pseudo tappet" noise was damn annoying and frustrating when I had to listen to it.

waynet

Reaction score
Hi gjr, you are damn right its annoying.
I have owned this ute for a year now and have tried everything, the noise was there when I bought it and the previous owner said it has been there all the time he owned it.
I did a service a week ago and used 10w40 Penrite but no change in sound.
Thanks for your help mate, Cheers.

D40Fanatic

Reaction score
Here's the thing.
Hi Waynet
Sorry to hear your troubles.Most Nissan diesel DCi engines experience that.What I ve learnt over years owning and learnt over my DIY service and repairs,the ANNOYING RATTLE sound is coming from the injectors not anywhere in the engine. It seems from my experience Nissan never advised us on the specific diesel type their engines are compatible with or designed them with changes in the additives that may added in future fuel technology. Although the RATTLE NOISE IS NOT HARMFUL, it is annoying when you drive.I did several trial and test errors which yielded good results at the end in rebuilding the D40 engines and I figured out the best fuel for that engine is currently the Shell V-Power 50ppm.If you want to test and hear best result finish up any left diesel ,clean up the tank,replace the fuel filters and replace fuel with SHELL V-POWER 50PPM.You shall notice very much difference in performance and you shall miss to hear the diesel engine sound of your truck/pickup/bakkie/ute as it called.it shall sound very quite after engine is hot and even more quieter like petrol engine on long country drives.The bakkie is a very good one and enjoyable to drive and has enormous power for its size at all.For more advise dont hesitate to chat.

Been a while

Reaction score
Lol you sprayed your what with WHAT! oh man, just stop. .. who was the dumb arsed twat that directed you to spray a LUBRICANT on rubber belts that TURN PULLEYS ffs
Just stop...

It sounds like "Rod float", little end on no load and big end on load..

I've had "know it all" twats that have laughed at me for having a set of these...
You can hear through walls with theses..

Go buy a set and at least look like you know what your doing, lol crc on fan belts lol ... my god, don't forget to give the alternator a good spray with crc too mate lol make sure you get a good thick coat on the inside bud, in fact, gear oil works well ..
And you have fitted the steel wool to your wipers for winter yes?

Come on man, read the label on things...

Buy these.. Google Image Result for https://www.repco.com.au/medias/A9503440.jpg?context=bWFzdGVyfGltYWdlc3wyMjUxOHxpbWFnZS9qcGVnfHN5cy1tYXN0ZXIvaW1hZ2VzL2hiYS9oZDcvOTcyMjk4NTE1MjU0Mi9BOTUwMzQ0MC5qcGd8MWE5ODlmODhkOGFjOWNlNDlmYmJhMGZiZTNjNDNkZTFkNDZmN2VjMmI4ZjhjZjUyMjI3MjE1YzYwNDg2NTY4Yw

Boogieboots

NF Supporter
NF Supporter
Reaction score
Lol you sprayed your what with WHAT! oh man, just stop. .. who was the dumb arsed twat that directed you to spray a LUBRICANT on rubber belts that TURN PULLEYS ffs
Just stop...

It sounds like "Rod float", little end on no load and big end on load..

I've had "know it all" twats that have laughed at me for having a set of these...
You can hear through walls with theses..

Go buy a set and at least look like you know what your doing, lol crc on fan belts lol ... my god, don't forget to give the alternator a good spray with crc too mate lol make sure you get a good thick coat on the inside bud, in fact, gear oil works well ..
And you have fitted the steel wool to your wipers for winter yes?

Come on man, read the label on things...

Buy these.. Google Image Result for https://www.repco.com.au/medias/A9503440.jpg?context=bWFzdGVyfGltYWdlc3wyMjUxOHxpbWFnZS9qcGVnfHN5cy1tYXN0ZXIvaW1hZ2VzL2hiYS9oZDcvOTcyMjk4NTE1MjU0Mi9BOTUwMzQ0MC5qcGd8MWE5ODlmODhkOGFjOWNlNDlmYmJhMGZiZTNjNDNkZTFkNDZmN2VjMmI4ZjhjZjUyMjI3MjE1YzYwNDg2NTY4Yw
Ease up BaW, not too many been as deep to the elbows as you in their vehicle brother 😁

Been a while

Reaction score
Lol crc where lol

Seriously man, what ever possessed you to do that lol
You did wipe it off all the pullies before it penertates the new belts and adds to them failing lol
Ease up BaW, not too many been as deep to the elbows as you in their vehicle brother 😁
I know but crc on belts, come on! Umpire!

I feel like a right prick now, thanks for pulling my head in..

But in all seriousness, "we" are dealing with weapons and we have to think before we start !
And that includes reading LABELS, manuals and mechanical books, and that's coming from one who deals with stinking dyslexia... lol it took me three months to fit that stinking injector pump, had to read that bloody manual over and over and over. Then I'd read one bit and forget the bit I just read, try that with code reading and code chasing... My point, those works won't kill another but, me working on gear boxes, diffs and brakes is another story indeed! You have to know your limits!

Sure I work on brakes, have done since my father taught his retarded son over 40 years ago how too, I know brakes! Would I work on a make/model that I don't know with out reading the manual for that make first- no!
Would I work on a diff, yes, under guidance of a A grade! Same as the gear bag! Know your limits "I say".. Sure it's crc on rubber today with little effect, but tomorrow, the wrong method could bare a cost more than $$$ eh

It scares me man, you should go on that Facebook thing lol my God! You have this level of abilities working on brakes, gears, steering and bearings ... but your right, hit me with the big T, I was a little harsh... best I apologise eh ok here goes.. cough cough

Oh, Waynet! Lol, but ya gunna get'em aren't ya ;) and nowwwww more than ever! J.k j.k

Smartarse and dick head in the same sentence, stop it, you're confusing me ffs...

O.k, So no more playing with things you know nothing about untill you do you research huh.. Shite man, there's some great people here willing to share thier knowledge - so ask here before you start turning nuts and bolts ok!

I'm sure someone will tell you where and where not to use the ol' CRC also ;) now thats being a smart arse... oh, and my winter tips for you 4b! Not a good idea... I'd hate to read on Facebook you've pot scoured your windscreen or your alternator has caught fire...

Now Mr CRC man, getting back to your shite box lol J.K J.K I'm just pulling your chain ;) with out hearing the pitch of the knock/tap/rattle and its position, makes it very tricky for people on here to have any chance of diagnosing this for you..
A video will only help so much also, you won't capture the pitch, tone nor position, it will be all distant guesses from us..

You're going to need two people, one on the throttle- you, "Mr CRC" and another on the stethoscope "someone that knows thier shite" and go searching.. Can you replicate the noise stationary at idle speeds etc, you Mr CRC need a decent trustworthy mechanic!

Or go do a basic mechanics course and get to know the teacher, a few beers after class and I'm sure he'll help you diagnose and teach you the basics, like not to oil fan belts :) and not all rubbers like oil, lubricants, greases etc But more importantly why!

You wrote that you thought it wasn't a manifold leak or some other problem and it gave me the impression you knew something's that's why the crc on the belts threw me lol talk about left hook, did not see that one coming at all lol eh Mr CRC ;)

But seriously, go buy an auto diagnosis stethoscope, a manual and go listen.. Stay away from the spiny things and the wiry things, we don't need you torn up or set on fire, sure it's funny but someone has to clean up ;)

You know why I think people spray belts with CRC and wd40 etc, I think it's because you could actually buy what was called "belt tac" in a spray can, it stopped belts slipping... Maybe people have seen mechanics use it and think its crc or alike... no idea really, I thought you were trolling by saying you did..
Anyway, moving on....

Erick

Reaction score
Gees I’m scared to post here after all that, but after reading the very first post the rattle has exactly the same characteristics if little end/ wrist pin and excessive big end clearance. Have had one engine fail while driving and rebuilt others that had that exact noise come and go at no load /light load /overrun. In diesels it is not necessarily terminal, in petrol engines it is in my experience. But then again it could be other things, listening thru a stethoscope or long screwdriver to the ear will pin point it. Blunt end to the ear please. Oil pressure gauge can tell u a lot too if it’s anything to do with big ends although big ends on the way out have different noise under drive conditions.

waynet

Reaction score
Hi Erick, dont be scared now, there is always one fool in every croud.
Injectors arived today and I will fit them when I get a day off, and will post results.
Nah, definatly not gudgen or bigend noise.
Been all over it with a Stethoscope but I dont have access to a Dyno so cant reproduce on road conditions.

Been a while

Reaction score
Gees I’m scared to post here after all that, but after reading the very first post the rattle has exactly the same characteristics if little end/ wrist pin and excessive big end clearance. Have had one engine fail while driving and rebuilt others that had that exact noise come and go at no load /light load /overrun. In diesels it is not necessarily terminal, in petrol engines it is in my experience. But then again it could be other things, listening thru a stethoscope or long screwdriver to the ear will pin point it. Blunt end to the ear please. Oil pressure gauge can tell u a lot too if it’s anything to do with big ends although big ends on the way out have different noise under drive conditions.
Really! You're scared ! Of what?

Maybe sugest to the moderators to put in a safe room and we can all go there and hug it out huh lol scared to post!

Lol the pointy end goes away from the body, careful, he'll cry and run home...

Last edited:

Been a while

Reaction score
Lol, yeah and those fools spray thier fan belts with CRC and cry about it too other little pussy bit%$#@ when they get called out... I hope that's not to scarey a truth for you champ... Do you two need your safe space now hmm, maybe a tissue to dry your noses?

Man I was just joking with you, shite, if I had of known you are going to be this soft and fragile I would not have wasted my time on you in the first place, champ... You f%$#@$ up, own it, don't run and cry with the other girls about it shite! It's not even that big a fu$# up ffs...

After that little passive bitchy remark I know who the dick head is now champ... good luck Mr CRC, all the best with your Nav ...

Sprays CRC on rubber and calls me a fool and a dick head, riiiiight! Got it! Smfh!

you're a rather defencive bitchy little man aren't you.... anyways, all the best...

waynet

Reaction score
Baw, I am trying to ignor you and not take offence at your posts, and stop hiding behind dilexia. There are inteligent people here trying to carry on a discussion about something you clearly have no clue about.

Latest posts