D22 Custom rear bar Build-up.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshman

Reaction score
This is basically just going to be a pics thread for the build-up of the custom rear bar and swing away wheel and Jerry-can holders for my truck.

just a note. I have both a rear quarter chop and a 2" body lift which has aided and greatly simplified the design and building of this bar.

All Fabrication work by Dave. (AKA Deadly on this forum)

Pic #1: The back end of the truck before work began, note how low down the towbar sits

Pic #2: After the rear-quarter Chop. I finished the edging with some sikaflex and rubber stripping.

Pic #3: This is the plate that sits inside the chassis to provide some extra strength for the towbar. I've cleaned it up and we're going to modify/re-use it for our bar.

Pic #4: How that plate sits inside the Chassis

Pic #5: The first look at our mount brackets. Made from solid 10mm plate, and will also incorporate a recovery point at the very rear.

Attachments

• IMG_0472.jpg
    IMG_0472.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 1,010
  • IMG_0481.jpg
    IMG_0481.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 1,771
  • IMG_0493.jpg
    IMG_0493.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 905
  • IMG_0494.jpg
    IMG_0494.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 919
  • IMG_0495.jpg
    IMG_0495.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 896
Pic #1: First fitment of the mounting plates.

Pic #2: fitment of the mounting plates with the new tow bar made up and tacked in place. This is what the final departure angle of my truck will look like.

Pic #3: another view of my now-awesome departure angle.

Pic #4: A detail shot of some of the mountings

Pic #5: And another shot of the mountings.

I could explain more about the plans on where we're taking the build, but that'd ruin the surprise. We're hopefully continuing work on it on saturday, so keep an eye on this thread after then.

Attachments

• IMG_0498.jpg
    IMG_0498.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 765
  • IMG_0499.jpg
    IMG_0499.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 967
  • IMG_0500.jpg
    IMG_0500.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 792
  • IMG_0501.jpg
    IMG_0501.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 742
  • IMG_0502.jpg
    IMG_0502.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 860
Absolutely, looks awesome. Just getting the finishing touches to my rear bar done at the moment. Almost wish I had of seen/thought about the rear quarter chop first!

Slight delay on the sheet for the jerry can holder, will do photos as soon as its done. Doing battery set up next friday hopefully too, so might start a build thread

Looks the good so far!
Are you/ we allowed to just knock up a rear bar and/or especially a tow bar like that or does it need to be checked or engineered etc ??
I hate how low my D40 tow bar sits and I was chatting to the old man about changing it last night. It just needs to go straight out instead of down.
There's nothing to get under like a rear step etc as iv got a tray..!

Looks the good so far!
Are you/ we allowed to just knock up a rear bar and/or especially a tow bar like that or does it need to be checked or engineered etc ??
I hate how low my D40 tow bar sits and I was chatting to the old man about changing it last night. It just needs to go straight out instead of down.

Not sure whether you d40 drivers can get the dx bar to fit you st and stx models. We can have a dx towbar fitted to our str models which brings the towbar up closer to the tub/tray by about 3". Try seeing if the d40 dx towbar is similar?

Looks the good so far!

Was thinking tha same thing.would love to build a new rear bar/towbar for my d40 but i was thinking i would have to skip the actual towbar (50mm square socket) as i would never have the time to get it legal...was thinking just a very solid bar mabee a small step with 2 recovery points.but i tow a car trailer occasionaly for work....dilemma

Pic #1: repainting the plates that sit inside the chassis rails

Pic #2: first bend of the tube

Pic #3: Dave measuring up things

Pic #4: scallop in the steel plate to accommodate the tube.

Pic #5: Two bends done and a rough idea of what its gonna look like.

Attachments

• IMG_0506.jpg
    IMG_0506.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 376
  • IMG_0508.jpg
    IMG_0508.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 376
  • IMG_0510.jpg
    IMG_0510.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 454
  • IMG_0512.jpg
    IMG_0512.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 421
  • IMG_0515.jpg
    IMG_0515.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 543
Pic #1: Tube is tacked in place and the swing away carrier stub-axles have been recessed into the tube.

Pic #2: different angle on pic #1

Pic #3: another different angle on pic #1

Pic #4: The recessing of the stub-axles.

Pic #5: The second row of tube has been tacked up and we finally have a good looking overview of the final product. This represent the majority of the hard work being done, now it's just a whole bunch of gussets and fancy stuff to give it some strength. (and weight!)

Attachments

• IMG_0516.jpg
    IMG_0516.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 434
  • IMG_0520.jpg
    IMG_0520.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 407
  • IMG_0521.jpg
    IMG_0521.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 408
  • IMG_0524.jpg
    IMG_0524.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 386
  • IMG_0525.jpg
    IMG_0525.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 503
Pic #1: another view of where the progress ended yesterday. Yes, we know that that stub-axle is not quite square, and yes, that will be fixed.

Pic #2: and what the final departure angle will look like.

This will be the last of the updates for a while (from me, anyway) as dave is pretty busy over the next few weekends, and i won't have the truck with me for the few weekends after that, but all things going well, i should have the final product bolted up before Easter, and i will do a full picture job of the final product, especially all the gussets and little details that i know you all want to see.

Things learnt:
Measure 3 times, cut once.
Don't trust me with the tape measure.
Steel is HEAVY. (i predict the final product to weigh in the vicinity of 40-50kgs)

Attachments

• IMG_0526.jpg
    IMG_0526.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 442
  • IMG_0528.jpg
    IMG_0528.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 494
That is some awesome clearance, or at least it looks like it haha!

My bar is finished, bright and sunny at the moment. If it stays that way I will take some photos when I get home and post them up tonight.

Latest posts

Back