D22 buying guide

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirty One

Reaction score
Hey all, just registered with the forum and found this section and thought i would post up a thread. Im looking at buying a D22 turbo diesel navara around the 04-06 model but possibly newer if i can get a good deal.

Just after some info on what to look out for as in comon places for oil leaks to appear and stuff like that and also peoples opinions on either the 3.0 or 2.5 intercooled model..i have been looking at the 3.0 recently.

cheers

Hey mate

I was in the same predicament as you a few months ago and 2 weeks ago bought an 06 D22. Generally look everywhere around the engine, underneath and the surrounds for signs of oil leaks, rust and broken bits.

I have always been wary of cars that have been immaculately washed in the engine bay and underneath (some resprayed) as it can be a sign of covering up leaks, rust etc If you come across one that is dirty/dusty it can be a good sign as you will know nothing has been done to cover anything up.

Turn the car on and check if oil is spitting out the exhaust, also rev it and have someone check if the smoke is black or clear (as clear as a diesel can be lol)

Test drive it for throttle response, give it a bit to hear any unusual rattles in the engine

Test the 4wd, always fun!!

If your buying from a dealer, try to get some accessories included if it doesnt have them. I got a snorkel for free seeing as he didnt budge on price!

Happy hunting

how much you looking at spending?? You can get them brand new for $29880 if you got an abn. I cant believe how cheap they have got.

Nothing wrong with a looked after 3L.

Mines up to 190,000km's now and going strong.

Dave.

This has some helpful info for the first time buyer.
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I1Nzx2iSiY&feature=player_embedded[/YT]

I think the 3.0L is a pretty good engine, shares a lot with the patrol but dosent go bang like they do. I'd be looking at a truck in good overall condition, check things like underbody contact (scratches etc), shockers (standard or aftermarket), and accessories. things that will generally give you an idea on how it was used. And kms dont seem to be an issue, plenty here that have racked up a few and still going strong. like Dave's and mine 190K kms and runs awesome, just make sure it has been serviced regularly.

good luck with the purchase & welcome to the furum.:welcome:

thanks for all the info guys, looking at spending 24 but will stretch to 27 if i find a really nice truck..I own a 2004 GU coil cab ute with the 4.2 td but im stuggling with the 2 seats..and dont really want a wagon because i like the convenience of the ute/tray.

Looks like the 3L is the pick of the lot and i have in my mind exactly what i want..so far the criteria is a silver or full black not the two tone..has to have atleast a bull bar but doesnt matter if there is spotties or not, also if there is a uhf already thats a bonus but not essential and same goes with a snorkel. not too fussed on suspension as i plan to out a 3 inch lift in it.

Quick question is the hardtop cover hard to remove, as i see alot with them and will more then likely have bikes in the back.

Na the hardtop is easy to remove. Remove the 2 gas struts and remove the pins.

Dave.

for $25k second hand for on 05 you should be looking at one around 100,000km and there should be plenty on carsales.com that already have bar work, spotties and a 2 inch suspension lift included. Have fun shopping.

ps - all black D22s rock!!!

Just curious guys, spending $25 on a second hand 3.0L d22 - why not buy a new one @ $29k (sure it doesn't have any accessories, but at least its new and full warranty provided.)

the current D22s are 2.5l and made in Thailand. just ask Aido how good they are. the 3.0l were all made in Japan and for my money are better built. I've compared mine to a friends 2009 2.5 and he has had a number of warranty issues; ranging from paint, sports bar too tight and creased the panel, suspension issues, wheel alignment, interior quality etc.

I just looked on red book, i think its only 12 kws between the 3L and the 2.5 L. It wouldn't bother me too much, as a 3L motor with a 100 to 150 thousand kms that you dont know the history and is probably getting a bit tired. I don't think the difference would be noticeable.
But I guess it depends on how long you plan on owning the car. If only 2 or 3 years, probably would go a 2nd hand, as you could get one with most of the mods you want. But if you plan on owning the car for 5 or 6 years it might be worth to spend the extra money and get one new, and slowly do it up to how you want it.

If you don't have an ABN it ruins everything.

Its just my opinion. Good luck with it all, you may also be able to get a pretty good deal on a 2nd hand, as more people would be going new, so I'm guessing there are a few about. I feel sorry for someone who spent $42k a few years ago on a new navara and are trying to sell it now for $30k.
I'm also guessing the depreciation on a D22 that you can buy for $30k wont be as much as a 2nd hand one you buy for $22 to $25k on

I just bought a new one i looked at that many 3ltr over priced shit cars. If you got the money buy a new one .All these guys think the 3ltr cars are gold plated.

the current D22s are 2.5l and made in Thailand. just ask Aido how good they are. the 3.0l were all made in Japan and for my money are better built. I've compared mine to a friends 2009 2.5 and he has had a number of warranty issues; ranging from paint, sports bar too tight and creased the panel, suspension issues, wheel alignment, interior quality etc.

correction:

2008 was the release of the new d22 with 2.5L CRD which was the last year nissan made them in japan :)

I just bought a new one i looked at that many 3ltr over priced shit cars. If you got the money buy a new one .All these guys think the 3ltr cars are gold plated.

And 3 yr/100k Warranty (All be it a Nissan Warranty!!) No wear and tear and an opportunity to look after it as you want from new.

In saying that, Snagging a last of Jap built 2.5's with ultra low k's would be good.

Regards
Greg

And 3 yr/100k Warranty (All be it a Nissan Warranty!!) No wear and tear and an opportunity to look after it as you want from new.

In saying that, Snagging a last of Jap built 2.5's with ultra low k's would be good.

Regards
Greg

i recently sold my 2008 jap built navara dx single cab with only 18K km on it, havent heard back from the buyer so looks like its still going strong haha

Hey all, just registered with the forum and found this section and thought i would post up a thread. Im looking at buying a D22 turbo diesel navara around the 04-06 model but possibly newer if i can get a good deal.

Just after some info on what to look out for as in comon places for oil leaks to appear and stuff like that and also peoples opinions on either the 3.0 or 2.5 intercooled model..i have been looking at the 3.0 recently.

cheers
go 4 the 3.olt 1 mine is 04 model but try and get the later model 3lt cause they lengthened the chassis and tub by 100mm . wen u get it just service it every 8000kms fit a catch can do egr and and drive it like a company car , mine stll going strong with 278000kms on it

thanks for the input everyone, i think im sold on a silver 3.0 so thats what i'll be looking for. In saying that i have to go find a 3.0 in a car yard and take it for a test drive :rock:

correction:

2008 was the release of the new d22 with 2.5L CRD which was the last year nissan made them in japan :)

I only recently got exactly one of those . Goes hard , we did a trip out past white cliffs last month and apart from a hard ride ( gotta luv leafs) it did nt miss a beat .
On the road we were averaging 130 kmph and on the dirt 100+ , very economical , I bought it at a dealer for $26k . I still reckon its a good buy.

Latest posts

Back