d22 2.5cr egr mod???

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi HJ,
This is gonna sound like a ridiculous question but what is at the very far passenger side of that egr tube and does it hold any benefit at all to block it over on that side also?
4x4Nav posted a picture of the tube earlier in the thread with 2 black pipes, this is gonna sound crazy but what are those 2 pipes for?
Thanks guys

The passenger's side of the egr tube is the inlet from the exhaust manifold. Personally, I blocked both ends. That way if the egr cooler (the tube you are looking at) fails internally, the turbo or the motor (depending on which end is blocked) won't cop a gutfull of coolant....

I also got the jet tube replacement plate from yd25.com.au to remove the inlet manifold restriction from the tube sitting in there

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Is this egr blocked (I assume so)

Attachments

• 20210914_090309.jpg
    20210914_090309.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 36
  • 20210914_090246.jpg
    20210914_090246.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 36
  • 20210914_090253.jpg
    20210914_090253.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 37
Can the blanking plate be mounted on the exhaust inlet side of the EGR Cooling tube? Mine is venting oily exhaust smoke under the bonnet again and I was thinking that a plate might fix this.

Yes, but the plate has to be made of sturdy material. Some people use aluminium plate, but the temperature on the exhaust manifold can exceed 900 degrees celcius under load, which will destroy an ordinary aluminium plate. I'd use mild steel, 3mm thick - it melts at 1400 celcius which your engine will never reach. Stainless steel starts to lose structural integrity at 1000 celcius which your engine can get close to, so do NOT use it on the exhaust side (on the intake side stainless is fine).

Also pay attention to the gasket between the exhaust manifold and the turbocharger. My own gasket here started to leak, became thinner and started to act like a reed in a very badly played clarinet.

Thanks Old.Tony, I'm sure I can find an old piece of plate somewhere. Would the plates supplied through mobs like Chipit and the likes be up to the task and heat ranges that you mentioned?

I thought ChipIt had gone insolvent - their web site www.chipit.com.au isn't responding.

You'd have to ask them what the blank is made from and which side of the pipe they recommend it goes on. If it's mild steel it can go on either side, any other material should be on the EGR valve side. The EGR valve side has cooler gas (it's passing through a cooler to get there) so aluminium and stainless are suitable for that side, but not the "hot" side.

So, I've got a piece of "Corten" plate (stuff they make shipping containers out of) that's free, do you reckon that would do the job?

I ordered mine from the ebay for my D40,it was very cheap. Blanking plate with gaskets.

Thanks guys but mine will be mounted on the exhaust side, need the additional thickness due to heat consideration.

OMG! This has to be the BESTEST Free Mod that I've ever done! Why wasn't I told before? Just after buying my '11 D22 six years ago, I had the same problem as I'm having now (lots and lots of oily black smoke staining the tops of the mud guards and the entire engine bay, loss of power and wheezing from front of the block), local Nissan guys did me over for around $2k - I shit you not!
Scored some Corten 3mm steel plate from work and cracked on this morning. I'm no mechanic, have very few tools, work bench is the BBQ table, vice is a G-clamp, you get the idea!
Took the entire assembly off this morning and problem obvious right from the start - exhaust end of the cooling tube broken away at the flange! Explains the oily sooty covering of the engine bay!
So, from start to finish, made two blanks using angle grinder and file, re-fitted the cooling tube, with very little experience or tools, under an hour!
Took the battle truck for a run, blew thick black smoke for the first hundred metres under improved acceleration, it coughed and farted, cleared the exhaust and settled down!
So, way better acceleration, way less noise under the hood, no smoke in the cabin, not blowing the same amount behind me, and the turbo is spooling like a charm again! Nothing but goals all around!
All for free!

The best part is that I've got enough left over to make another 6 at least!
If someone one around Brisbane needs one .......

So, 6 months since I plated the EGR Cooling tube and I've noticed a couple of things that may interest some folk.
Firstly, I travel about 600km a fortnight to and from work and I reckon that I'm saving about 6-8 litres of fuel per top up. Cost of a pizza at least!
Secondly, no matter how hard I try I cannot get her to blow any smoke at all, not even up hill at full noise! Nothing!
Turbo cuts in a lot earlier too, bloody thing pulls like a teenager!
So winning all round, for the Cost of nothing!

Latest posts

Back