D21 with too many spark plugs

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbro

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I’m a newb from Tamworth, NSW & my daughter has just got an old d21 Ute. It’s a 2.0L petrol & it has 8 spark plugs, but only a 4 plug distributor. It had a pretty bad oil leak from the rocker box, most of the screws holding the cover were really loose, so I hope I fixed that. The 4 plugs on the inlet side are connected, the others are not. As the rocker cover screws were loose & it’s missing a bolt in the exhaust manifold, I’m assuming that someone’s done a head swap in the backyard. Does that sound right?

trying to dig into the brain's memory banks. if the engine is a z20, which came out in the later 720's and d21's, it is a single plug head. pretty sure the KA series engine is a twin plug, so sounds like a hybrid of some sort!

i had a d21 fantastic ute 700000 klms over 22 years i think it was 2.4 petrol but only 4 plugs the exhaust manifold steel turned to sugar best car i ever owned

There are two Z20 engines- Z20S which is a carburated engine and the Z20E which is a fuel injected engine. I suspect that the heads fit either block and your daughters one has had a head change. From the link above
I call bullshit on that one. Not sure about where the twin spark Z20 came from, might be a replacement engine from an JDM import.
Dion called bulshit. I think he is the one calling bullshit

Here in Canada all Z-series engines, Z20, Z22, Z24 came with 8 spark plugs. They also had a 8 spark plug distributor. They were for emissions only and were notorious for burning through the dual rotor under the cap and causing misfiring issues. Many people would either remove all of the leads to the exhaust plugs and just run them as a standard 4 cyl or change out either the distributor or the head to certain US Z-series that only had 4 spark plugs and four blanks where the plugs should be.

Latest posts

Back