D21 speedo problem

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foobs

Reaction score
hey guys
my names Ben from country SA and im hoping some of you fellas can help
me out a little.
just bought meself a 86 D21 2wd dual cab. its running a z24 with 5 speed.
the drama im havin is the speedo has stopped working.
i have unscrewed the speedo cable from the box and it seems to be fine
as i can not pull the cable out so i dont think its broken.
would it be the speedo drive in the box or somewhere up in the cluster.
hope someone out there can give me some advice on what to do
cheers

It's more than likely the speedo cable, try taking it off at the gearbox to see if its broken on that side.
How long has it been going on for? I'm also in country sa and I have noticed that in the heat my speedo dial has been sticking, easiest way to check if its that, is by giving your dash a good hard knock while driving, it should jump to your current speed strait away.
If it's your speedo cable and you cant source one from a wreckers, they are are available from nissan at around $180, or you could always buy that gps youve always wanted and use the speedo on that.

I hope this helps and welcome to the forums
Thomo

G'day mate.

D21 instrument clusters are notorious for the needles bending (melting...) over the course of 15+ years to the point where they touch the face of the dial, and if they're bent enough they'll stay jammed and sometimes a whack like d21demon suggests will free them momentarily. Check if your needle is bent. Solutions include removing the needle and bending in hot water, or breaking and regluing it straight. Or a new needle if they're cheap.

Or the speedo cable, check this also as suggested above.

thanks for the help guys.
i have taken the cable off from the gearbox and it does not appear to be broken. will try and get someone to watch the speedo and give the cable a flick. should make the needle move if its okay.
have checked needle on cluster and it is fine still straight and if you give dash a knock it moves so definately not jammed.
a mate told me if the cable is hard to turn by hand it could be stuffed but he said i could try sprayin some crc down it and it may free up.
good to know that you blokes are happy to help out.
cheers

G'day mate.

D21 instrument clusters are notorious for the needles bending (melting...) over the course of 15+ years to the point where they touch the face of the dial, and if they're bent enough they'll stay jammed and sometimes a whack like d21demon suggests will free them momentarily. Check if your needle is bent. Solutions include removing the needle and bending in hot water, or breaking and regluing it straight. Or a new needle if they're cheap.

Or the speedo cable, check this also as suggested above.

i had the same problem when i got my nav, i took the cluster out, took the cover off and between the needle and speedo face i carefully heated the needle with a heat gun. left the cluster for a few minutes to cool down and presto, back to normal.

hey guys
so i pulled the cluster out and i found that in the end of the cable is a small plastic piece.
its bout 2 inch long. has square section that obviously fits into the gauge and then there is a larger bit with a spring inside it that lets the square bit push inside.
this piece is seperate and i can pull it out of the cable housing.
is this meant to be part of the cable and joined to it?
if so then obviously me cables knackered.

From what I can remember, when I changed my cable it was all one piece that slid into the cluster, If you go into a nissan parts dealer they would be able to bring up a picture of the cable for your model.
If it is the cable at fault, maybe you could hit pro-nav up for the one out of his 2wd doner, if his sill got it...

Yep... Sorry to resurrect an old post (hi everyone!) but it looks like I'm about to have the same problem. I've found a D21 that I'm pretty keen on, but the Speedo doesn't work.

I'm pretty nervously hoping that it will pass ACT roadworthy on Monday so that I can change the rego over.

So my dealer (really nice folks in Fyshwick) says I should think about getting a new cluster, but from what I've seen here it looks like I should have a good look at the cable and the needle.

How hard is it to get to the cable and have a gander at it? Is it easy to get to the speedo needle? Do you think it'll pass RWC with a dodgy Nissan speedo?

Half a dozen screws in the dash should get it out. Removing the plastic around the steering wheel will help - another 5 screws. It's not too difficult. Speedo cable fits in right behind the speedo.

Did it get the RWC?

Thanks Pinelli, I'll give it a look!

And yes, it got the RWC!~ (awesome) But... It possibly shouldn't have... Tells you a lot about the ACT's idea of 'roadworthy'.

I have to fix a radiator leak somewhere, and... There's this peculiar high-pitch metal ringing sound that I get at speed... Curious, no? I figure it's probably not a mangled piston ring because the exhaust is clear and good.

Also, I have a redback living in my bumper... : S

Aright... So, I spent the day fixing things and evicting arachnids...

I'll be doing an oil change in Cooma this week because we have ramps down there... It badly needs it (the Nara is brand new for me).

And all the problem with the speedo was, was that the plastic was bent. In bending it back, I managed to snap the needle - so now my speedo is a 'fully sick' red-painted toothpick (uleh!) haha.

Oh well, at least it works. I feel much less anxious about driving her now.

D21 Speedo

Hello Foobs and Crossroads,

I have a dash as you seem to requier, but I cut the Clock off and have it in my
"Deco-Art" dash and it works well, so if you want to use the rest of it for parts,
either of you are very welcome, for no charge, but you pay the postage only!
Your Choice no rush, think about it!

I am going Bush Walking to see if I can Salvage another about 150 miles from my Home, South of Rockingham, and will call for needs once I have it on the front Lawn!

regards,
Highway Man!:yeahright:

Dion and the Five Year Itch.

Thanks for that Dion, I must make it a habit to look up before I answer these posts
they have both probably died of old age since they put that up, so I'll
just bin the Dash system and stop my rambling!

All the best!

highway Man!:deadhorse:

I commend you for your good humour Highway Man. Keep it up, and as Dion mentioned some of the posts are very old and the members no longer visit.

Latest posts

Back