CV boot split. Lift related or just age?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GunMentalGrey

Reaction score
Have just installed a DIY 45mm lift on my 2007 STX with 180k on it. Just spacers to start off cheap. Took it for a little off roading yesterday including a rut that cost traction on 2 wheels.

Today I’ve noticed a split CV boot (no other bad noises etc). Before I replace them with new Is It more likely the boots are just worn out from age/kms or that the lift may have caused some damage.

Ute hasn’t done much serious off roading before

That was my thoughts, just finished them off. Interested to see other’s opinions. Don’t want to go install some new parts and have it happen again in the next off road jaunt.

It is also possible I damaged them during install when I disconnected the top ball joint to get the springs back in.

It is also possible I damaged them during install when I disconnected the top ball joint to get the springs back in.
Maybe a combination of all 3. There old, and as Tony mentioned exacturated travel probably both on installing and the lift when off roading. Having said that the CV angles on Navaras are pretty good with a lift. Better than Hiluxes.

Even if you keep the standard springs get a new set of decent shocks/struts as soon as you can. You won't believe the difference. Till you do that is. In fact, soft spring, firm Damper can work pretty well in some circumstances.

at 180th klms i would personally buy new complete shaft for about $110 each , i have had good run with cheap shafts ( a proper boot is about $30.00)
i noticed when i googled cv boot for nissan navara repco comes up with $1.00 cost could be a mistake

I’ll probably replace the whole CV. I’m hoping to do a bit more off road work so would prefer a little bit of preventative maintenance rather than having an already worn one fail while out and about.

There’s a good chance they are originals, but I only got the Nav with 140k on it so can’t be sure.

at 140th the left one would be ready to give way the right one may last longer once the boot is split the joint would be fould up, while you are at it upper and lower ball joint replacement is a must , i found with my car i had to release the upper and lower ball joints for a quick replacement of shaft , the ball joints were always worn , too loose in there socket , repack grease in bearings ,dont miss needle roller bearing if any sign of water discoloration of grease new seal is a must, and perhaps new bearing kit including needle roller, dont lose the brass spacer washer the cosy $45.00 plus each, they last forever.when you retighten the bearing leave a bit of run out, from firm slacken the adjuster , should be able to see or feel slightest woble of wheel on bearing dont wont to seem to be an expert ,do a thorough job once, its all about preventing costly breakdowns and keeping your car roadworthy at all times. cheers

Howdy, look at your c.v angles.. Depending on how it's been raised you may have to drop the diff. It's the extra "droop" that kills them boots! They bunch up on the downward droop on the control arm's.

Re-boot them, there's plenty of ways to do them . I'm sure I took photos when I had a go at it, they should be on here.. Look into the coke bottle trick! I disassembled and re greased so didn't go the coke bottle trick, but if I was in the bush and did one, I'd be looking for the coke bottle.. very cleaver indeed..

Special greases used throughout too, make sure you get the right QUANTITY in the needle bearings that carry the c.v shaft ... Buy yourself a needlepoint grease gun fitting, and I mean needle point ;) those needle bearings need to be pack well and proper! You'll see why when you get there..

Make the parts washer your friend, you need to remove all old grease before repackaging! Finish off with light air bursts and brake/parts cleaner.. You don't need to completely disassemble to do this job.

This sort a job I would usually completely service the front drive, repack wheel bearings, hub locks etc And especially those needle bearings! You have to press the grease in with a chinesefinger, it's a tricky job.. but make sure you know how to pack a bearing, there's actually a measurement/weight for the min amount, I know I read it somewhere!

Latest posts

Back