Custom snorkel

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oaks001

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has made and installed a custom stainless snorkel to a 2012 d22 with factory duel batteries? What is the trick for young players or is just worth fitting an arb safari snorkel?

Cheers, oaks

Grab a TJM/Nissan one, Safari won't work with that model and a stainless tube one will likely cause you warranty issues.

if your confident in fitting yourself nizzbits sells the Nissan one for like $350.

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has made and installed a custom stainless snorkel to a 2012 d22 with factory duel batteries? What is the trick for young players or is just worth fitting an arb safari snorkel?

Cheers, oaks

I have a custom stainless one on my 06 nav and I love it heaps of room for the dual batteries etc I'm unsure of the warranty issues though

I have a custom stainless one on my 06 nav and I love it heaps of room for the dual batteries etc I'm unsure of the warranty issues though
Hey mate, I'm making my own snorkel for my 06 d22 at the moment but can't figure the best way to run it through the guard to the airbox. Are you able to shed any light on how you did it? Pics would be Awesome. I don't wont to start welding to I have the final plan sussed.
Cheers Zac

Hey mate, I'm making my own snorkel for my 06 d22 at the moment but can't figure the best way to run it through the guard to the airbox. Are you able to shed any light on how you did it? Pics would be Awesome. I don't wont to start welding to I have the final plan sussed.
Cheers Zac
Be careful of making your own mate! It's the insurance and the wollopers you have to worry about.. They both like genuine plastic ones..

The genuine plastic ones cover the hole that you cut in your Gaurd, ones like mine don't! And that's where they get you... open cut panel, no insurance and unroadworthy! Unless you fold or fabricate a folded edge to that cut panel and get it engineered ..
Then there is the mounting and support of the s.s ones, it would want to be thorough...

I go through constant crap for mine.. mines tagged but I still go through the rego rwc crap every road block etc I'm planning on painting it black and adding the roof rack taking your eye off it...

Be careful of making your own mate! It's the insurance and the wollopers you have to worry about.. They both like genuine plastic ones..

The genuine plastic ones cover the hole that you cut in your Gaurd, ones like mine don't! And that's where they get you... open cut panel, no insurance and unroadworthy! Unless you fold or fabricate a folded edge to that cut panel and get it engineered ..
Then there is the mounting and support of the s.s ones, it would want to be thorough...

I go through constant crap for mine.. mines tagged but I still go through the rego rwc crap every road block etc I'm planning on painting it black and adding the roof rack taking your eye off it...
Thank fully i'm in NZ and the only thing we need to worry about is how it is mounted to the A pillar.

Where did you hear that? These things can vary from state to state but I'd be wanting to get the facts directly from the insurance company and the cops.

Unless the hole creates a structural issue, the insurance company won't differentiate between the holes cut for SS pipes or plastic ones. The hole edge is very easily dealt with by the use of a bit of pinch-weld. What do you mean by "engineered"? That one has me well puzzled.

I'm going to suggest that someone capable of fabricating their own snorkel won't be fazed by the fabrication of a simple bracket or two.

Care to share a picture or two? There are a huge number of people driving around with SS snorkels and not getting hassled over it. Perhaps there's something about yours that attracting their attention.

I did say check with wollopers and insurance yeah
Pinch weld doesn't cut it... if the hole is not covered it needs a folded edge... as soon as you cut a panel it becomes unroadworthy... it doesn't have to be structural...
You can suggest all you like lol
Lol and what will posting a picture prove champ, what do you do for a job mate? What will you be looking for in my snorkel that you'd know is leagel or not ... what are you police ? An engineer? A panel beater mechanic welder fabricator?

What's your speciality bloke?

lol I deal with it every time i get pulled over ... They dont like s.s ones end of story, if you've got one good luck, if you've got a hole in your panel hidden by pinch weld and getting away with it , great, good luck lol but just because you get away with something means squat ...

I did say check with wollopers and insurance yeah
Pinch weld doesn't cut it... if the hole is not covered it needs a folded edge... as soon as you cut a panel it becomes unroadworthy... it doesn't have to be structural...
Pinch-weld certainly seems to be just fine for the hundreds, if not thousands, of others with a stainless steel snorkel.

Lol and what will posting a picture prove champ, what do you do for a job mate? What will you be looking for in my snorkel that you'd know is leagel or not ... what are you police ? An engineer? A panel beater mechanic welder fabricator?
I'm really just curious what's so different about yours that gets you pulled over as much as you say when others, all over the country, don't have that problem. Why is it attracting so much attention? As for my profession or qualifications, that's irrelevant. Anyone can obtain and read the ADRs and roadworthy requirement documents.

We I suggest you and your Mensa mates start reading, just because YOU see it doesnt make it legal now does it...

Well having some idea of the field does help, just because someone can weld doesn't mean they know how to engineer and fabricate what's needed or know HOW it should be mounted.. yeah yeah we I all have ideas but are they right...
A pillar mounts are scrutinized... fact, if you have a s.s and not been looked at your lucky... just say'n!

Anyway, I cant any more .... Lol I seriously just can't... you have a great day...

Oh, What type of snorkel do you have fitted?

Latest posts

Back