Cruise control turns on but won't set

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's VSK, it wasn't working when I bought it. Never had a car without the set light I just kinda assumed it was in all cars!

It's VSK, it wasn't working when I bought it. Never had a car without the set light I just kinda assumed it was in all cars!
I reckon the 2007 VSK probably didn't have it in the first place. I've seen others complain they don't have that set light. It's like the MNT doesn't have the outside temperature display even though the field is there in the lcd display.

My car doesn't have the "Set" light either. I must look into this a little - even my bike has it, and it's a 1996 model.

Just had a look in the manual, never references a 'set' light, only the 'cruise' light. Could have saved myself some trouble if I just read the manual eh.

Just had a look in the manual, never references a 'set' light, only the 'cruise' light. Could have saved myself some trouble if I just read the manual eh.

That's ok, I hardly ever read the manuals either. :D

Admittedly I do refer to them a lot for responses here, because sometimes I'd rather be sure ...

Just to add my experience to this for anyone with a similar issue...

I just bought my D40 a couple of weeks ago.
One of the only things that wasn't working was the CC. No set light and no speed control.
So I started sniffing around the back of the pedals and managed to solve it.

On my M/T vehicle there is two switches on the back of the brake pedal - one for brake lights and one for CC.
Both seemed to be positioned correctly and I could move them in/out with a finger without difficulty.
(I hadn't grabbed the multimeter yet....just an initial inspection).

There is also a similar switch on the back of the clutch pedal. Mine was a bit munted....or rather the small round rubber pad was worn through.
So I ditched the pad and then adjusted the switch position slightly so the rod was close enough to the back of the pedal to make contact.
I think it's a 14mm spanner f/m.

Next drive out I switched the system on, but no set light.....I figured it still wasn't working....until a roundabout started approaching rather quickly!!
Shit! It's working.
Then I realised maybe it never had a set light...?? Weird....but OK once you reprogram your brain not expect the visual confirmation that's ON.
You just have to use your "Bum Sensor".

Next drive out I switched the system on, but no set light.....I figured it still wasn't working....until a roundabout started approaching rather quickly!!
Shit! It's working.
Then I realised maybe it never had a set light...?? Weird....but OK once you reprogram your brain not expect the visual confirmation that's ON.
You just have to use your "Bum Sensor".
Yeah. Annoying isn’t it. Most other cars I’ve had have had a ‘set’ indicator of some sort. 2003 Forester was the same though, cruise ‘on’ light, but no ‘set’ light.

In the Forester I set it up to automatically come on when you turned the car on because the on switch was down on the dash separate from the ‘set’ stalk. similar to where mirror switches are on the Nav. I was a fumble to activate it when I used the cruise every day on the commute.

In the Forester I set it up to automatically come on when you turned the car on because the on switch was down on the dash separate from the ‘set’ stalk. similar to where mirror switches are on the Nav. I was a fumble to activate it when I used the cruise every day on the commute.

Yes I remember your posts on the Forrester Forum. The modification I did to turn my CC on automatically when the cars starts has been very successful and has been working famously for over 6 months. I don't even think about it now ... start the car, get up to speed and hit set!

Yes I remember your posts on the Forrester Forum. The modification I did to turn my CC on automatically when the cars starts has been very successful and has been working famously for over 6 months. I don't even think about it now ... start the car, get up to speed and hit set!
I haven’t otherwd in the Nav because the on off switch is on the wheel. Although it’s a bit frustrating that our R51 pathfinder has the on/off and cancel buttons switched in position so I often turn off cruise instead of hitting cancel.

D40 stx550. One similar experience I have had it that the CC would turn on but refused to set to any speed. This was because of a faulty EGR valve. If the EGR valve fails and produces an error then, for some reason, the CC also fails. It seems unrelated but I am told this is a known feature.
The egr error cleared by itself and then CC worked again.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back