Cruise control 'set' light flashing

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dantheman85

Reaction score
All over a sudden this morning on the way to work, i couldn't set my CC. I turned it on and the CC light was solid green but the set light is flashing fast. I couldn't set the CC. And i couldn't turn the Ccl ights off until i stop my ute and turned off my ignition. Any one had this problem before?

Check the speed sensor plug on the output/ towards the rear of the gearbox. Remove, hit it with some contact cleaner, blow off and replace. If that sensor or signal from it fails the ECU will use a wheel sensor as a speed reference and speedo will continue to operate but cruise won't. There is a few other things to look for but that is the easy one to try first.

What model Navara is it. Manual or Auto?

Check the speed sensor plug on the output/ towards the rear of the gearbox. Remove, hit it with some contact cleaner, blow off and replace. If that sensor or signal from it fails the ECU will use a wheel sensor as a speed reference and speedo will continue to operate but cruise won't. There is a few other things to look for but that is the easy one to try first.

What model Navara is it. Manual or Auto?

2009 d40 auto
I’ll give that a go tomorrow

I've never had mine (same model, mine's a Spanish STX) do that, ever. I've been unable to engage CC, but that's been due to a fault in the clock spring.

Now, according to the Spanish bloke I've got here (Manuel), there are two conditions that will make the SET light flash (for the "ASCD", the manual doesn't refer to it as cruise control).

1) (Petrol only) Engine coolant temp is slightly higher than normal, the SET light may blink slowly

2) (Both petrol and diesel) Malfunction in ASCD control, the SET light will blink quickly

The system monitors vehicle speed (2009 D40s get this from the ABS sensor rings, but the ASCD gets it from the combination meter), engine RPM, brake (on its own switch separate to the brake lamp switch), gearbox (Park and Neutral switch positions, plus revolution information as per @Tappet above).

If you've recently had work done on the stereo, try connecting a new earth (negative) wire from any of the body mounting bolts under the dash to the frame of the stereo. The stereo may be "borrowing" an earth path from the instrument cluster causing it to be a little erratic.

I don't have a "SET" light as such, I'm referring to the manual, and think it just means the "Active" light (which I have). My 1996 motorcycle has a "Cruise On" and a "Cruise Set" light, and it doesn't have an ECU.

Bummer. I find the ‘active’ light of very little use and would get more benefit from a ‘set’ indicator of some sort. I’d prefer the cruise was active all the time, I use it a lot.

Well just an update, on the weekend all i did was top up my coolant (seeing that a blinking set light could be a heating issue) and actually my power steering fluid (dont think this has anything to do with it) and so far so good. Back to normal. I didn't clean the speed sensor plug yet like you suggested Tappet but that will be my next step if the issue arises again.

well since last post its been playing up again. Sometimes it works in the morning on the way to work, then it doesn't on the way home. Then sometimes on and off during the same trip. Any other suggestions what it could be?

Latest posts

Back