Cruise Control main switch now automatically activated after car starts.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott52

Reaction score
I worked out how to make my cruise control activate when I start the car. It was a $10 part and a couple of hours with some wiring.

I find the Nissan system frustrating as I have to push two buttons to set the speed. Many cars don’t have the two steps only requiring one.

I’m used to driving my Mercedes C Class and Mercedes Vito van and both have the cruise control active as soon as the engine is started. My neighbour’s VW is the same as are Audi’s, Honda’s and Volvo's.

So the Germans, Swedes and some Japanese don’t require a two stage process … you start the car, get up to speed and hit set.

When on an outback expedition it becomes tedious. You’re cruising in the middle of nowhere and pull over for ten minutes to view a POI ... then it becomes three button pushes to set the cruise speed again …
  • Start the car, accelerate to cruise speed, push set button and nothing happens … bugger ... it has to be activated again!
  • Push the activate button.
  • Push the set button.
With my Mercedes and now my Navara it’s …
  • Start the car and accelerate to cruise speed.
  • Push the set button.
It's great and works a treat ... the less buttons I have to push the better.

Last edited:
That's interesting. I didn't know that was a thing. Now that you mention it, it makes sense to just hit set.
Not that it is any use to me, my D22 has no cruise at all, though I have seen a kit that can be installed mentioned on here before.
You should post a quick rundown on here so others can copy your work

How did you manage to activate yours (and what model is it)? Be interested to see how it’s done.

I did this years ago on my forester. It was worse than the Navara as the cruise on off switch was down where he mirror switches are on the dash. So you had to look or fumble around before choosing set on the lever beside the wheel. At least the nav has both on the wheel.

In the forester I added a couple of components to make a momentary on circuit that was activated by ignition on, and bridge the circuit across the cruise switch. Occasionally it would work which was frustrating as it seemed to lock out the cruise and required stopping and restarting the car.

I'll make a video as it's easier to show how I did it. I'll put a link in this thread probably tomorrow. I filmed the relevant bits as I was doing it and I'm part way through stitching it together into a coherent description.

The vehicle is a 2011 Navara RX D40 single cab Thailand built. The Spanish wiring is the same based on the diagram I had.

I'm really happy with the outcome so I'm certainly pleased to pass on what I learnt.

It will be good for any vehicle requiring a momentary push of a button or lever. A friend with a 2005 Holden Calais is going to use the same method. Her car requires a momentary push on the end of the CC stalk. She has the same frustration in that it has to be activated again after the car is started.

Last edited:
How did you manage to activate yours (and what model is it)? Be interested to see how it’s done.

I did this years ago on my forester. It was worse than the Navara as the cruise on off switch was down where he mirror switches are on the dash. So you had to look or fumble around before choosing set on the lever beside the wheel. At least the nav has both on the wheel.

In the forester I added a couple of components to make a momentary on circuit that was activated by ignition on, and bridge the circuit across the cruise switch. Occasionally it would work which was frustrating as it seemed to lock out the cruise and required stopping and restarting the car.
Actually I think I saw your thread in a Subaru forum. I was searching around to see if anyone had solved the problem troubling we "One Push Cruise Controllers".

That's interesting. I didn't know that was a thing. Now that you mention it, it makes sense to just hit set.
Not that it is any use to me, my D22 has no cruise at all, though I have seen a kit that can be installed mentioned on here before.
You should post a quick rundown on here so others can copy your work

Yes I will. Easier to make a video so I'll post a link here maybe tomorrow.

Actually I think I saw your thread in a Subaru forum. I was searching around to see if anyone had solved the problem troubling we "One Push Cruise Controllers".
Wow. Haven’t been on that forum since I got the Navara. Surprised it still exists!

Edit: I’m locked down so went on a bit of a nostalgia search. Turns out the original thread has disappeared along with ozfoz.com.au or whatever it was, but apparently I did cross post is elsewhere:
https://www.subaruforester.org/threads/way-to-keep-cruise-control-switch-always-on.93370/
While I’m keen to see how you did it, I probably won’t bother on the Nav. What I would like is a ‘cruise set’ indicator light on the dash. Something lacking in my 07 STX.

Last edited:
Wow. Haven’t been on that forum since I got the Navara. Surprised it still exists!

Edit: I’m locked down sonwent on a bit of a nostalgia search. Turns out the original thread has disappeared along with ozfoz.com.au or whatever it was, but apparently I did cross lost is elsewhere:
https://www.subaruforester.org/threads/way-to-keep-cruise-control-switch-always-on.93370/
While I’m keen to see how you did it, I probably won’t bother on the Nav. What I would like is a ‘cruise set’ indicator light on the dash. Something lacking in my 07 STX.

Now your reminded of the two step process every time you hit the activate button it will annoy you! My 2011 D40 has the "SET" and "CRUISE" light. My C Class has a "SET" indicator and a display of what speed is currently stored but the Vito doesn't have anything ... you do it all blind. There's no consistency at all.

So here's a how to video for anyone interested. I've been using this for a while and it's fantastic. As I said my other cars don't require dancing on the controls with multiple button pushes.

Hi Scott52, great video. I have an STX-550 and go through the same routine! Where did you purchase the timer board and or what is its proper name?
Would this board do the same for the wing mirrors? Sometimes I drive off and the mirrors are still closed and only notice when I put the indicators on. On the dash below the ignition is a switch that will open and close the wing mirrors.
Any info on this mod would be helpful.
Eric

Hi Eric. Look in the video description as I've pasted links to instructions, the name of the module and where to purchase. The 10A rated timer module is very versatile with many uses limited only by your imagination. If the wing mirrors use a momentary switch to fold them you could use one of these modules.

I have a second one of these providing a 10 second delay to my android head unit boot up. It commences boot up as soon as you turn the key but power is cut when you're cranking. Once started the power is connected again part way through it's shutdown. Sometimes it makes it freeze and become unstable. The 10 second delay has solved that problem.

I posted a link to an electronics store in Adelaide who sell this module for about $13 delivered. There are many Vendors who sell cheaper who say they're in Australia but they're not. Postage takes ages (obviously from overseas) so pay an extra few dollars so you'll get it within a week.

Last edited:
Hi Scott52, great video. I have an STX-550 and go through the same routine! Where did you purchase the timer board and or what is its proper name?
Would this board do the same for the wing mirrors? Sometimes I drive off and the mirrors are still closed and only notice when I put the indicators on. On the dash below the ignition is a switch that will open and close the wing mirrors.
Eric
It will depend on how the switch works. Our pathfinder switch (assuming the same) is a two position switch, open or closed. It must only power them long enough to fold though. Circuit diagram might help.

What I would like is a ‘cruise set’ indicator light on the dash. Something lacking in my 07 STX.

I reckon you could use one of these modules or a voltage sensitive relay module to create your own SET indicator. There are 18 different programs in the software that use one or both time settings T1 & T2. The relay is a dual throw so either normally closed or normally open is available. You can also trigger the module with a momentary pulse besides triggering when powering on. Perusing the instructions will generate ideas, however, there's nothing like setting it up on the bench with test lights to experiment with the available functions.

Eric
On mine I bought a cheap kit off eBay that is designed to turn power fold mirrors into automatic. It was an easy fit too.

Ebay have them

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210816-070323_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20210816-070323_eBay.jpg
    699.6 KB · Views: 13
Back