Cooling/Radiator to ally/ do you do the Water pump too? Whist ya there as they say!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Been a while

Reaction score
Howdy all, hope you had a great Easter break!

I had a slow tip back from N.S.W months ago with heating/boiling issues on the zd30, what I hope to be the problem was a cracked overflow pipe that comes from the radiator, the pissy little plastic bit!
What I'm thinking is that I've leant on it during the many hours under the bonet and just sliglty cracked it, and it was this stopping the coolant from being sucked back into the radiator... true story ;)
Well it seems it was the issue and I didn't notice it untill it was completely busted off and flapping in the wind ... I used that plastic glue and drove to and from Lake Burrumbeet over Easter with it glued on , I know I know, not good but I had to move my camper trailer from Avoca... Thing is it held up, amazing stuff to seal that break.. sorry no photos of the break but only the repair..

Now, because of a certain condition I can't leave it like that lol I've got to fix it right- right!

So I grabbed a 3 core aluminium one of flebay with a life time guarantee, well as long as they are in business guarantee eh! Nice looking unit! So that fixes the broken overflow pipe fitting...

Now, do you do the water pump whilst you're there??. I've got a Gates one sitting there but,,, is it worth changing it out? Are the Nissan ones known for wear? Gates over Nissan original, with over 300'000 k's on it ..... stupid question I guess..... thoughts!

Luky find, this little shite of a 10mm came from the new bonnet scoop... dropped it during fit up and couldn't find the swine of a thing! Used cams the lot too!

It was wedged there too, it came out with the radiator...

Attachments

• 20210412_113939.jpg
    20210412_113939.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
  • 20210412_113919.jpg
    20210412_113919.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
With the good luck comes the bad eh.. over tightened once to often..

I think this is the 4th time the radiator has been out .. Looks like a job for the drill and a "nutsert" ..

Attachments

• 20210412_113820.jpg
    20210412_113820.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
It looks ugly but it worked!

To add the powder to the underneath I put a pile of the powder on a rag then slid the rag under the fitting and blew it into place..

yes, I gave my radiator a ;)

Attachments

• 20210412_193235.jpg
    20210412_193235.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 10
If you've kept up with regular flushes and coolant changes, probably no need to change water pump unless you think the overheating might have damaged it in some way (which seems unlikely).. The factory ones are excellent quality imo and might be better than the aftermarket one. If it ain't broke, don't fix it as they say.

I'm having my water pump replaced as part of the head replacement (doing thermostat too). I'll take a look inside and let you know (they're working on it today and tomorrow - I should get a call tomorrow telling me it's done). The old parts (head, water pump and thermostat) are being put in my tub for the trip home.

If you've kept up with regular flushes and coolant changes, probably no need to change water pump unless you think the overheating might have damaged it in some way (which seems unlikely).. The factory ones are excellent quality imo and might be better than the aftermarket one. If it ain't broke, don't fix it as they say.
Never really back flushed it but it has been changed on services...
yeah the original ones are VERY good, looks brand new on the inside.. I couldn't get an original one so I had to go the Gates one.. I'm thinking of heading over to W.A so I thought why not...

yup, I changed it! Whilst I'm there eh, it's a shite of a job to do on the side of the road and with over 300'k's on her I thought why not...
There's more than a good chance I'll end up putting a do my v6 in it soon going by the "blow by" I'm catching in the catch cans :(

Orrr maybe a quick rebuild, drop the balance shafts, new rods and pistons -rings, good hone, check head/new?maybe?- valves seats gaps etc depends on $$$ and time really... ZD's are thirsty and I'd rather the v6 fuel economy but I've done mountains of work on it the zd, bigger turbo, intercooler, new alt, starter, water pump, Injector Pump, timing chain "major kit/sprokets etc", injectors, ceramic glow plugs, aaaaand I have a new oem "oil pump/cover" and heavy duty clutch in the shed so I don't know which way ill go yet..
$$$ says she will end up with a rebuild :)

thanks for your help...

Last edited:
I'm having my water pump replaced as part of the head replacement (doing thermostat too). I'll take a look inside and let you know (they're working on it today and tomorrow - I should get a call tomorrow telling me it's done). The old parts (head, water pump and thermostat) are being put in my tub for the trip home.
Yeah I would too Tony! What water pump did you use, Nissan, OEM or Aftermarket?

Bit the bullet and did mine too... seemed silly not too!

Got the new tank in, not very impressed with it, the damaged fins! Bad! Real bad, but I had to fit it.. I'll still send the pics to the supplier and see what they say.... very ugly job!

I have to fix the EGR Valve Bracket before I fill and test.. The weight in that Valve, no wonder the pipes break, mine did and now the bracket.. Been gone for a while by the look of it but I only heard it the other day!

It was fine when I did the injector pump so relatively new damage...

I'm going to lose the valve, I'll keep the sensor and the heater water pipe section and just mount that without the valve...

I'll take a photo of the heater water pipe section tomoz, it's blocking the hoses atm...

Attachments

• 20210412_150458.jpg
    20210412_150458.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 6
  • 20210412_151049.jpg
    20210412_151049.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 6
  • 20210412_150513.jpg
    20210412_150513.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • 20210412_150447.jpg
    20210412_150447.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 5
  • 20210412_173208.jpg
    20210412_173208.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • 20210412_173227.jpg
    20210412_173227.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
It's a shity job.... soooooo whilst the radiator is out....

You need some small ring spanners to get too a few of the studs.... r/r, belt pully/tensioner and cover plate, the only way to get to the lower studs..

Attachments

• 20210412_130915.jpg
    20210412_130915.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 9
  • 20210412_130949.jpg
    20210412_130949.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
  • 20210412_130926.jpg
    20210412_130926.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
I let the mechanic arrange the water pump and the thermostat, so I don't know if they're genuine or not. They should be hard at it right now, too ... hopefully we'll get some good news later today.
Oooooo nothing worse than "The Wait" !.... j.k, she'll be fine!

Be interesting to see if the new head gives you better economy...

Runs well, so far! Took it for a quick run up the freeway and she is definantly running cooler- going by the dash temp gauge..

It once would sit about 1/3 on the gauge and now she's sitting on 1/4... FINGERS CROSSED!

Oooooo nothing worse than "The Wait" !.... j.k, she'll be fine!

Be interesting to see if the new head gives you better economy...

Well, the mechanic called.

"Looks like you had a double row timing chain kit installed in here, guides look perfect mate, I wouldn't touch a thing!"

And as I told the guy, that's the first time the timing cover has ever come off - we've owned the car since new - and he's the first to ever see the chains. Obviously, driving moderately has some benefits!

So, reassembly time, he's going to take his time with it and get it right, I don't mind because I can't get up to Bathurst now for a few days anyway (medical stuff with family).

Never really back flushed it but it has been changed on services...
yeah the original ones are VERY good, looks brand new on the inside.. I couldn't get an original one so I had to go the Gates one.. I'm thinking of heading over to W.A so I thought why not...

yup, I changed it! Whilst I'm there eh, it's a shite of a job to do on the side of the road and with over 300'k's on her I thought why not...
There's more than a good chance I'll end up putting a do my v6 in it soon going by the "blow by" I'm catching in the catch cans :(

Orrr maybe a quick rebuild, drop the balance shafts, new rods and pistons -rings, good hone, check head/new?maybe?- valves seats gaps etc depends on $$$ and time really... ZD's are thirsty and I'd rather the v6 fuel economy but I've done mountains of work on it the zd, bigger turbo, intercooler, new alt, starter, water pump, Injector Pump, timing chain "major kit/sprokets etc", injectors, ceramic glow plugs, aaaaand I have a new oem "oil pump/cover" and heavy duty clutch in the shed so I don't know which way ill go yet..
$$$ says she will end up with a rebuild :)

thanks for your help...
Yeah, I changed radiator and water pump at 300k kms. Was unnecessary though, and unless you're really going off beaten track probably not worthwhile. I had some remote area solo travel (with Mrs) lined up, so a type of insurance I guess.

Though the water pump looked like brand new when I took it out, radiator was perfect as well. If I had it to do again I wouldn't bother, original parts on these are usually very good quality (except for the turbo lol) and probably last for the life of the ngine if serviced properly.

I don't find them thirsty, generally get 9.5-11 litres per 100km depending how much is off road (and which type of tyres). Got across the 500+ kms and 1000+ sand hills (so they say) of the Simpson on one full tank of fuel (75 litres). That's exceptional IMO, ask the land cruiser boys how much they use!

At 300k kms yours would only be starting to run in. lol. Last motor I rebuilt I threw the balance shafts away, can't remember whether I just turned the bearing shells around to block the oil jets, but I remember the kit had (timing) parts specifically for this option. Ran fine and made absolutely no discernible difference to smoothness.

Last edited:
Yeah, I changed radiator and water pump at 300k kms. Was unnecessary though, and unless you're really going off beaten track probably not worthwhile. I had some remote area solo travel (with Mrs) lined up, so a type of insurance I guess.

Though the water pump looked like brand new when I took it out, radiator was perfect as well. If I had it to do again I wouldn't bother, original parts on these are usually very good quality (except for the turbo lol) and probably last for the life of the ngine if serviced properly.

I don't find them thirsty, generally get 9.5-11 litres per 100km depending how much is off road (and which type of tyres). Got across the 500+ kms and 1000+ sand hills (so they say) of the Simpson on one full tank of fuel (75 litres). That's exceptional IMO, ask the land cruiser boys how much they use!

At 300k kms yours would only be starting to run in. lol. Last motor I rebuilt I threw the balance shafts away, can't remember whether I just turned the bearing shells around to block the oil jets, but I remember the kit had (timing) parts specifically for this option. Ran fine and made absolutely no discernible difference to smoothness.
Run in lol i wish!

Mines shocking on fuel, I'd be lucky to get 450 to 500ks per tank..

Run in lol i wish!

Mines shocking on fuel, I'd be lucky to get 450 to 500ks per tank..
Something else going on there, that's terrible. That's roughly the same economy (or perhaps worse) that I get fully loaded while struggling over a thousand or more sand hills, mostly in first gear. lol.

Something else going on there, that's terrible. That's roughly the same economy (or perhaps worse) that I get fully loaded while struggling over a thousand or more sand hills, mostly in first gear. lol.
Yup, got me tossed! Valve clearances? Rings/compression?

Yup, got me tossed! Valve clearances? Rings/compression?
Is it chipped? No fuel leaks?

I filled mine up today. After 319 kms since last fill, it took 31.1 litres which is roughly about right, depending on conditions. Not particularly light either. Got steel bar, winch, second battery, rear canopy and a fair bit of gear and tools I just leave in it. Was still some way above half full at that.

Is it chipped? No fuel leaks?

I filled mine up today. After 319 kms since last fill, it took 31.1 litres which is roughly about right, depending on conditions. Not particularly light either. Got steel bar, winch, second battery, rear canopy and a fair bit of gear and tools I just leave in it. Was still some way above half full at that.
Tiz chipped, forefront turbo, 31"s, alloy bar, winch, running boards sliders, full tool box"nav life", fridge etc... never really had good economy when i got, 580 a tank..
She must need rings and a head job.. one thing i havent got for the t.box is a high comp compression tester for diesels. ...

Latest posts

Back