Converting ZD30 to QD32

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3VILC

Reaction score
Hi guys, not too sure where to put this, but this seems to be probably the right place.
Was pointed to this forum for info but still can't seem to find what I am looking for.
Got an R50 Terrano (TerranoIII/Pathfinder in other markets) which I suppose is most closely related to the D22 although I know the ZD is slightly different between the 2. The ZD30 has decided to die and the general consensus seems to be 'chuck a QD32 in it' but I can't really find any info from anyone that's done it. I have a QD32ETi at a good price, and he has the rest of the truck available so I can get everything I need, but the problem is finding exactly what bits I need to get, and whether it is actually a fairly simple swap.
My wagon is a '99 Facelift R50 ZD30DDTi, the donor is a '98 pre facelift QD32ETi but with a lot lower mileage than mine.
I know I will need the complete engine, engine bay loom, ECU(s), engine crossmember, I guess the gearbox+ECU as the bellhousing is probably different, do I need the gearbox mount as well? (I believe the box itself is the same so assume the mount/crossmember would be the same), and what about the dash loom and instruments? Or should it plug/wire into the original dash/body loom OK?

Any help from anyone that knows more than me or even better has done this swap would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Clive

i wish we had more QD32 factory turbos here in Aus.

If you can find a manual QD32TD then you wont need any of the electrics. with the qdtdi i would grab as much of the electrical loom/ecu etc as possible.

i haven't found any loom pinouts for a qd, so you will want to label everything, otherwise it will make the conversion a real PITA...the mechanical side of the swap should be straight forward, just the wiring will be "interesting".

I understand you need the bell-housing, not necessarily the gearbox or gearbox mount (same place only change if doing auto/manual).

With the donor car available for bits and being essentially the same chassis, I think you've got an easy swap ahead of you. Good question on the dash, good chance it'll work straight up as I reckon both would be electronic speedo, as Christian said we don't have many QD32ETi Terranos or engines here, nowhere near as many as NZ, so it's uncharted territory for me at least. I think you'll have to try it and find out.

With the donor car available for bits and being essentially the same chassis, I think you've got an easy swap ahead of you.

Famous last words lol.

Good luck dude hope it works out and isn't a massive mind f#@!.

Maybe start a thread and keep us updated on the changeover if you have the time

Thanks for the info anyway guys. Still haven't had chance to get the head of the ZD yet but fairly sure given the racket it makes its probably fatal.
Since I struggled to find info on what I though would be a fairly common swap, I will do a write up if I go down that route. It might even be almost plug n plug, doubtful, but would be nice.
Given the price I can get the QD for and the fact he has most the rest of the truck still available this is likely the swap I will make

Well, I've brought a QD32ETI, should be here early next week, so no turning back now haha. So I'll be sure to try remember to take pics and do a write up as it goes along

Hey Clive,

I've got a 2002 Nissan Navara running a QD32ETI. The original ZD30 did what it was good at.
I didn't do the conversion but brought it done already. Hence why I grabbed it. It is running 5spd manual, might be from TD27? It all fits nicely and runs really well.
Electrical was done by Pitcon Auto Electrical in Te Awamutu. That's all I know.
I have heard of a guy up in Whangarei who removes blown ZD30's from Navara's and puts TD27 ETI's in them. Same as QD32ETI except for longer stroke.
His name is Zharx (?) on Trademe.

Not the same vehicle as yours, but similar conversion.

Theres enough places doing it so it can't be that complicated to do. Electrically the 27ETI and 32ETI seem to be the same, it seems even the same ECU works on both. With a hacked up loom and no specific instructions I managed to wire up EFI into a carby Hilux, so this 'should' be a walk in the park haha..in theory anyway. Just got to check if I have a manual with the QD32 wiring or ECU pinouts. I have one for the ZD30 at least, downloaded several to find one covering the patrol/terrano style ZD so pretty sure I might have a QD one as well

Well for those that are interested, I've done it! After a lot of reading, planning, fluids on the garage floor, swearing, rum, and a few packs of cigarettes, its in and running and looks as if the factory put it there.
Since finding, collating, and making sense of the bits and pieces of info that are few and far between on the QD32/TD27ETI was probably almost the hardest part I am quite keen to do a writeup on the swap as I get time. Since its not really Navara related but likely most if not all would apply to swapping the ZD/YD out of Navara, I will post up a link here once I've written it all up (don't feel like copy pasting so much info into several forums haha)

Keen for a write up, as if my zd30 ever blows up the qd32 with a turbo banged on would be the way to go, as they seem to be a really reliable engine compared to the zd and yd

Hey Clive,

I've got a 2002 Nissan Navara running a QD32ETI. The original ZD30 did what it was good at.
I didn't do the conversion but brought it done already. Hence why I grabbed it. It is running 5spd manual, might be from TD27? It all fits nicely and runs really well.
Electrical was done by Pitcon Auto Electrical in Te Awamutu. That's all I know.
I have heard of a guy up in Whangarei who removes blown ZD30's from Navara's and puts TD27 ETI's in them. Same as QD32ETI except for longer stroke.
His name is Zharx (?) on Trademe.

Not the same vehicle as yours, but similar conversion.

Actually smaller bore and smaller stroke. That's why they are a 2.7 and not a 3.2

Does anyone have anymore info on this swap, engine mounts in particular, maybe some photos of the engine mounts?

Latest posts

Back