Component speaker help please

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LukeMck

Reaction score
G'day everyone
Ive been installing new audio into my recently aquired 2011 stx 550 and having a few dramas-
So its a pioneer 2 din head unit which is working.. kicker 6.5 coaxials in rear are fine.. but the kicker 6x9 components in the front i am having dramas with. So ive wired the crossover units into the wiring that came from factory 6x9s, then the corresponding wires into the new 6x9s and into the new tweeter under the dash but all i am getting is like a very low volume treble from the 6x9s (tweeters seem to working).
Does anyone know where ive gone wrong please?
I dont think its a polarity issue because when i was testing they sounded the same whichever way the wires were.
The wiring from the factory tweeters has just been left blank.
Im stumped.
Thanks in advance

EDIT- sorted it out, i had the head unit on network mode when should have been on standard

Last edited:
I've just started on the same upgrade today.
I bought a pair of 6x9 components for the front. The 6x9 bass driver in the door shouldn't pose any issues - straight swap.

But...
Has anyone successfully fitted aftermarket tweeters in the stock position under the glass?

And...does anyone know how the factory tweeter wiring is designed?
i.e. are there crossovers under the dash somewhere?
Or does the head unit handle the frequencies internally and then drive the tweeters directly?
I noticed the factory tweeter has a capacitor attached next to the terminals...maybe this is all it has for frequency control? And if so, would it be wired from the h/u or the 6x9 driver?
The harness at the 6x9 door drivers only has 2 cables I think...which would indicate it's not driving the tweeters?
Apologies is this has been covered on the forums already.

(pics attached)

Old and new tweeters.jpg
Tweeter brackets.jpg
Tweeter hole 2.jpg
Tweeter hole.jpg

I've just started on the same upgrade today.
I bought a pair of 6x9 components for the front. The 6x9 bass driver in the door shouldn't pose any issues - straight swap.

But...
Has anyone successfully fitted aftermarket tweeters in the stock position under the glass?

And...does anyone know how the factory tweeter wiring is designed?
i.e. are there crossovers under the dash somewhere?
Or does the head unit handle the frequencies internally and then drive the tweeters directly?
I noticed the factory tweeter has a capacitor attached next to the terminals...maybe this is all it has for frequency control? And if so, would it be wired from the h/u or the 6x9 driver?
The harness at the 6x9 door drivers only has 2 cables I think...which would indicate it's not driving the tweeters?
Apologies is this has been covered on the forums already.

(pics attached)

View attachment 37177View attachment 37178View attachment 37179View attachment 37180

I have pretty much completed my install now.
Im pretty sure the original 6x9/tweeters had there own wires running directly to h/u.
Anyways, i ran the original 6x9 wire into the input of the aftermarket crossover and then the tweeter wire through the rubber boot and under the dash. I hacked up the housing of the original tweeters to make a bracket for the new ones, with the new wire going directly to them.
Seems to all be working very well.
If you find out anything suggesting that i should have used a different method, please let me know.
Cheers

I might have a look at the back of the factory h/u and see if there's 6 pairs of speaker wires.
This would indicate the tweeters are driven directly from the h/u...which is not typical (?)
The wiring diagram for my aftermarket speakers has it the way you described - primary signal from h/u goes into c/o first. Then wire the 6x9 and the tweeter to their respective outputs on the c/o.

Did you mount your new tweeters in the factory location?...or somewhere else?

I might have a look at the back of the factory h/u and see if there's 6 pairs of speaker wires.
This would indicate the tweeters are driven directly from the h/u...which is not typical (?)
The wiring diagram for my aftermarket speakers has it the way you described - primary signal from h/u goes into c/o first. Then wire the 6x9 and the tweeter to their respective outputs on the c/o.

Did you mount your new tweeters in the factory location?...or somewhere else?
I did consider checking the speaker wires in the original loom, althougj that was during the drama in my original post- but everything had already been run and connected, and i found the actual issue first.
I never found an exact wiring diagram although of all the various nissan/nav diagrams i found, the factory tweeters seemed to run directly to h/u. But i may not be correct.
Yeah, mounted in same location. I wanted it to look as factory as possible.

I got around to looking at a wiring diagram today.
The wire colours seem to correlate to my Nav and the tweeter circuit is shown, so I think it's the right diagram (so many different Navs over the years!)

It looks like the output for the tweeters is spliced into the wires for the door speakers somewhere downstream of the h/u. In other words, the tweeters are not driven directly from the h/u via their own wire. So unless there's something I'm missing, the capacitor soldered into the factory tweeters is the simple high-pass filter and the only device in the system to split the sound.

This means the output frequencies are not controlled or filtered inside the h/u....and connecting my new tweeters directly to the factory wiring would risk damaging them as they rely on the separate crossover box for correct frequency filtering.

So I can either integrate my aftermarket crossovers into the factory wiring to protect my new tweeters....or....I can just run one factory tweeter with 4 new door speakers until I buy an aftermarket h/u. At which point I'll likely by-pass most of the factory speaker wiring and run my own cables from the new h/u....
(can't wait for that job :rolleyes:)

LukeMck - As I now understand it, you could connect either the door speaker wires or the tweeter wires as the main crossover input. They would all be at the same voltage and carrying the full frequency range from the h/u.....if I'm reading the diagram right.

The wire colours seem to correlate to my Nav and the tweeter circuit is shown, so I think it's the right diagram (so many different Navs over the years!)

It looks like the output for the tweeters is spliced into the wires for the door speakers somewhere downstream of the h/u. In other words, the tweeters are not driven directly from the h/u via their own wire. So unless there's something I'm missing, the capacitor soldered into the factory tweeters is the simple high-pass filter and the only device in the system to split the sound.

This means the output frequencies are not controlled or filtered inside the h/u....and connecting my new tweeters directly to the factory wiring would risk damaging them as they rely on the separate crossover box for correct frequency filtering.

So I can either integrate my aftermarket crossovers into the factory wiring to protect my new tweeters....or....I can just run one factory tweeter with 4 new door speakers until I buy an aftermarket h/u. At which point I'll likely by-pass most of the factory speaker wiring and run my own cables from the new h/u....

LukeMck - As I now understand it, you could connect either the door speaker wires or the tweeter wires as the main crossover input. They would all be at the same voltage and carrying the full frequency range from the h/u.....if I'm reading the diagram right.
Cheers Barney, good info.
Nice to know whats happenening with that factory tweeter wire under there.
All seems to be good with mine now, just having trouble with the crossover settings in the h/u and on the amp getting the right sound i want, but maybe im just expecting too much.

Cheers Barney, good info.
Nice to know whats happenening with that factory tweeter wire under there.
All seems to be good with mine now, just having trouble with the crossover settings in the h/u and on the amp getting the right sound i want, but maybe im just expecting too much.

You might have mixed polarity if it's sounding strange or lacking volume/punch...?

Hi Like from reading your post you might be able to help me out. I've got a 2011navara and as you point out the wiring has changed alot over the years and models.

You mentioned that you have a wiring diagram, was this for the model with the navigation unit built in? I have picked up a nissan centre console with the full navigation system and heater controls. I have the plugs and about 12 inches of cable on each which is where im now struggling. Ive been trying to get my hands on a wiring diagram in order to connect the unit which i must admit looks so much better than the original cd radio.

If you have this information or can point me in the direction of where i can obtain it other than from nissan uk who ha e been no help what so ever i would be extremely grateful

Steve

You might have mixed polarity if it's sounding strange or lacking volume/punch...?

Everything that i read said that i would notice a significant difference if polarity was incorrect, however i couldnt hear a difference at all. Maybe i didnt have it loud enough... its sounding pretty good, but i may pull the door cards off again at some stage and test again.

Hi Like from reading your post you might be able to help me out. I've got a 2011navara and as you point out the wiring has changed alot over the years and models.

You mentioned that you have a wiring diagram, was this for the model with the navigation unit built in? I have picked up a nissan centre console with the full navigation system and heater controls. I have the plugs and about 12 inches of cable on each which is where im now struggling. Ive been trying to get my hands on a wiring diagram in order to connect the unit which i must admit looks so much better than the original cd radio.

If you have this information or can point me in the direction of where i can obtain it other than from nissan uk who ha e been no help what so ever i would be extremely grateful

Steve

Hi Steve im sorry i cant help. I only found diagrams from other nissans of similar years.
And my factory h/u was just the bottom of the range and i did not use an aftermarket housing.
But Barney above mentions he found a diagram.
All the best with it.

Hi Steve im sorry i cant help. I only found diagrams from other nissans of similar years.
And my factory h/u was just the bottom of the range and i did not use an aftermarket housing.
But Barney above mentions he found a diagram.
All the best with it.
Thanks for your reply Luke , sorry just noticed the typo

Hi Barney from reading your post you might be able to help me out. I've got a 2011navara and as you point out the wiring has changed alot over the years and models.

Im trying to do a bench test before ripping the whole thing out which i know is easy enough but want do it at my leisure and not rush and balls it up

Hi Barney from reading your post you might be able to help me out. I've got a 2011navara and as you point out the wiring has changed alot over the years and models.

Im trying to do a bench test before ripping the whole thing out which i know is easy enough but want do it at my leisure and not rush and balls it up

Sounds like a mission!
Try here:
https://navlife.com.au/d40-series-service-manuals/

Hi Barney thank you for providing this information and yes it does look like ive got a mission on my hands which i look at undertaking in Jan. Its been really annoying that nissan dealers or nissan uk will not help on this even after several emails and trips to dealers

Thanks again and i hope that you have a wonderful Christmas
All the best

Steve

Latest posts

Back