Clutch Rebuild Help

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all, new here :)
I own a 1992 Nissan Navara D21 4x4 (see below) . It has a TD27 (non-turbo) and a 5 speed manual. Its a single cab with a custom tray and bullbar and my brother owned it for 7 years before I bought it from him. He did NOT treat it well and did NOT take care of it but I don't mind as I enjoy working on it.

Anyway, to the point... I'm looking to rebuild the clutch as its almost 30 years old and I plan to do some 4x4ing in the near future. I have found a heavy duty replacement kit with the clutch disk, release bearing and pressure plate. I'm going to replace the rear crankshaft seal too and while I'm down there I have 2 options in terms of ensuring I don't have to pull the transmission out again at a later date to fix the flywheel.

I can resurface the flywheel (if possible at all) or I can get a new one. The cost for a new one and to resurface mine is basically the same but I cant seem to find a flywheel anywhere! Everytime I search something along the lines of "nissan navara d21 td27 flywheel" it shows me clutch kits and I cant seem to find the model of transmission that's in my car.

If you guys could point me in the right direction to finding one (I'm located in Australia) or try identify the model of transmission I have I'd greatly appreciate that!
IMG_3730.jpg

Hi, These are My thoughts.
If you are replacing the clutch then fly wheel machining is highly recommended. I would never fit a new clutch assembly without re-surfacing the flywheel.
DO NOT put any spacers between the fly wheel and the clutch cover. I have no idea why anybody would do this. Not only will it reduce the clutch clamp pressure there is a high probability the clutch will explode as this could allow the cover to flex.
When fly wheels are machined the material removed is minimal. If there are surface cracks evident then the fly wheel will most likely need replacing. If you are unable to purchase one off the shelf then there are machine shops that can make a new one if you provide a sample. Its also a good idea to replace the ring gear at the same time.
Don't forget to fit a new spigot bearing at the same time.
Cheers

you are correct, but get someone who is an expert on resetting the spacer as 10th off the fly wheel translates to massive amount of travel for engaging the clutch, i have dissembled clutches and have found spacers in there ,mainly on tractors with a lot of hrs on clock

to explain better some fly wheels have the pressure plate bolted on at a different depth as the clutch surface area then spacers are neede when you dont machine the outer edge of the wheel to the same depth of the machined clutch contact surface area theView attachment 34858

Yes spacers are used in some instances like tractors however unless a spacer is fitted as part of a factory production design then I would strongly recommend that this modification is not done.
I have never seen a spacer used to correct a clutch rebuild in an automotive application. The simple fact is that a spacer between the pressure plate and the flywheel will reduce the clamping force of the clutch diaphragm or spring pack. If the flywheel has a stepped surface then both surfaces should and would be machined the same amount to retain that relationship and the correct clutch clamping force, NOT machine one surface and correct the other with a spacer.
Again, flywheels should be resurfaced to correct surface imperfections like glazing and heat spots, not to remove sufficient material that it dramatically affects the flywheels mass.
In addition, if you need to remove that much material from the surface of a fly wheel that it affected the clutch throw out bearing travel then the flywheel should be scrapped.
Engines are designed with a specific flywheel weight for delivery of smooth power from a motor, the inertia of the flywheel opposes and moderates fluctuations in the speed of the engine and stores the excess energy.

Yes spacers are used in some instances like tractors however unless a spacer is fitted as part of a factory production design then I would strongly recommend that this modification is not done.
I have never seen a spacer used to correct a clutch rebuild in an automotive application. The simple fact is that a spacer between the pressure plate and the flywheel will reduce the clamping force of the clutch diaphragm or spring pack. If the flywheel has a stepped surface then both surfaces should and would be machined the same amount to retain that relationship and the correct clutch clamping force, NOT machine one surface and correct the other with a spacer.
Again, flywheels should be resurfaced to correct surface imperfections like glazing and heat spots, not to remove sufficient material that it dramatically affects the flywheels mass.
In addition, if you need to remove that much material from the surface of a fly wheel that it affected the clutch throw out bearing travel then the flywheel should be scrapped.
Engines are designed with a specific flywheel weight for delivery of smooth power from a motor, the inertia of the flywheel opposes and moderates fluctuations in the speed of the engine and stores the excess energy.
you are correct as i found this article about spacers in a tractor.. i have an 8100 i'm on putting a new clutch in , tried just a plate with a flywheel skim as the presure plate looked good , came to put back together and the fingers were too close to the drive plate to work so i adjusted them to the distance it says in the manual, shoved her back together , couple of bolts in and did a clearence test , wont clear even with no free play it wont clear. i seem to remember years ago taking out these 4 spacers from between the flywheel and pressure plate due to the clutch slipping, since then no more probs, could it be that now with a new plate in , its putting too much pressure on , thus not having enough travel to make it clear. i'm getting a new pressure plate tomorrow to fit with the new plate so they are definatly compatible, spacers are going back in

Latest posts

Back