Clunk clunk clunk!?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too have all sortsof sounds from my front end. Some snapping, some squeaks. I have yet to replace the complete CV shaft assembly on my drivers side as the boot is punctured and i assume this causes the snapping sound. It seems to happen at full lock and is more prone to happen when in 4wd and on rough ground.

Did anyone end up getting a clear answer on to what the clunking noise is? I have a 2010 D22 STR with 1800kms on it and its started to develop a knocking/clunking noise from the rear right somewhere when turning left and and going over bumps.

The more bumps there is the more clunks there are so it sounds like something is bouncing inbetween two surfaces. Checked the jack and spare wheel and doesn't appear to be any movement. I can slightly feel the clunk come up through the drivers seat as well.

If it happens anytime, might be worthwhile looking at the torsion bar bushes near where the adjustment is. Have heard this a couple of times on hilux's after the owner changed all the front end bushes and it didn't help.

Dave.

torsion bar bushes ????? i just finished replacing my bars and didnt see no t/bar bushes:suicide2::suicide2:

Good one will...........nice helpful advice - that's what we're all about. :thank_you2:

Last edited:
"LOWER CONTROL ARM BUSHES" is the correct description. Upper control arm bushes also just as likely to be gone too.

Just for reference I have replaced all my lower and upper control arm bushings and still have a mystery clunk which has been there since new. I am literally running out of options as I have replaced all the suspension and now all the bushing. Also replaced the upper ball joint as it was leaking grease. Last thing is the lower ball joint but it looks fine.

This is an old thread I don't even remember posting in haha. But my problem a few posts up ended up being my body mounts. Got them replaced twice now under warranty since I got the ute.

Hasn't come back after the second time so fingers crossed as it's no longer under warranty.

Just for reference I have replaced all my lower and upper control arm bushings and still have a mystery clunk which has been there since new. I am literally running out of options as I have replaced all the suspension and now all the bushing. Also replaced the upper ball joint as it was leaking grease. Last thing is the lower ball joint but it looks fine.

Hey shorty did you ever get a resolution to this??

those clunks on my old 1998 ute... shocker bushes , loose exhaust, shot centre bearing , tail shaft cross bearings, ball joints and cv shafts, rubber mounts, clunk on full lock, dry stoppers , i put some moly grease on them. excessive run out on front bearings. worn short drive shaft forgot to grease the slide .usually start after about 80th klms depend on terrain one travels on

Well we think we have found the problem...time will soon tell. I'm not sure what they are called but just inside the front drivers wheel arch behind the wheel and towards the front is a small rubber mount, a cab mount? It has a bolt going through it vertically. It looked to be a bit angled so the guys gave it a tightening and it made the noise pretty much identical to what happens on the road. So they stripped it out, greased it up, put it back together tight and away we go...no noise...yet!

So, new control arms worth a few hundred pennies and quite a number of hours later hopefully we're at the bottom of it all. I'm not looking forward to the bill :51:. One thing is for sure, I have had one of the most thorough inspections done on a ute as every visible nut, bolt was tightened, greased, brakes off, tightened...the list goes on. I should have trouble free driving for quite a few km's now!!!

Guido
Hey, Mate did that bolt end up being the culprit, have you had any noise since?

Latest posts

Back