Clunk clunk clunk!?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guido

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've had this clunking/knocking noise in my Nav for a bit now. It happens when braking, cornering and a combo of both. During a simple corner it may knock up to 3 or 4 times. I can faintly feel the knock through the brake and nothing through steering. Nothing bad has ever come from it except being very annoying. The mechanic came to the conclusion (99% sure) that the control arm bush is screwed and needs replacing. I got my ute back while they order the new arm/bush assembly and the sound is gone, though slowly re-appears. Apparently they leaver it back into position but over time it loosens up.

Anyway the arm has been replaced and quite a few hundred $ and a week later back comes this clunk. It's doing my head in...seriously!

I've got it going back in for another look Monday. I really hope there is an easy solution to this and I hope i just didn't throw $$$ down the crapper.

What do you guys think? Have you encountered this noise before? I'll keep you posted on the progress...

Guido

Is it only on full lock, or any amount of turn on the wheel, if it's only at full lock it will just need the steering stoppers greased, but what you describe sounds like the lower control arm bush on the side closest to the torsion bar to me, it's fairly common for that to chew out as it cops a ton of pressure from the torsion bar. The noise, is it a clunk, or a cracking sort of noise, the lower control arm bushes usually make a cracking noise.

Other things to check would be the upper control arm bushes if the front end has been wound up in height, also you should also take a look at the wheel bearings and check that they are adjusted correctly. 3-4 clunks sounds in a corner sounds about the same number of revolutions the wheel would do around a corner.

Shonky, Not full lock and can happen anytime really. Sometimes I can hear/feel it when I launch hard from 1st gear but it wouldn't be a clunk as such but more of a very fine 'stretching' version of the clunk. It is not limited to a number of rotations of a tyre as I can pretty much make it clunk on demand by either adding an extra sharp inward turn while cornering or breaking gently and applying the brakes sharply.

The best way I can describe the noise is a dull clunk.

Guido

Tighten everthing.

The first rule of thumb for clunking noises is loose components. Suspension and body bolts may appear tight, however due to the forces applied to the components, a quarter of a turn on a tight bolt can repair the noise. WD 40 all the suspension and body bolts. loosen them and re tighten. Look for rust stains around components, that is an indication of loose or cracked components. Another method is to spray WD 40 on one components where it joins another component and then test, this may pin point where the noise is coming from.
MG

The best method is to get under ur truck, grab a hold of anything that could come loose, and shake it firmly. Should become obvious. Check all suspension components 1st, including the swaybar + mounts. Remember to use lock-tite so it doesn't happen again!

If it happens anytime, might be worthwhile looking at the torsion bar bushes near where the adjustment is. Have heard this a couple of times on hilux's after the owner changed all the front end bushes and it didn't help.

Dave.

I have the same problem with my STR. The noise appears to come from the rear and initially only when turning right (especially heard on roundabouts) but now can be heard turning left and right. It is due for its 40,000 service in a few weeks so we will see whether Nissan can find the problem.

dont know if this is the same prob or not, but was just slowly reversing the navara then, and while slightly turning the wheels the car seems to clunk and rock side to side.

perhaps i just didnt have enough revs on the engine? i couldnt replicated it again, hmm

Well we think we have found the problem...time will soon tell. I'm not sure what they are called but just inside the front drivers wheel arch behind the wheel and towards the front is a small rubber mount, a cab mount? It has a bolt going through it vertically. It looked to be a bit angled so the guys gave it a tightening and it made the noise pretty much identical to what happens on the road. So they stripped it out, greased it up, put it back together tight and away we go...no noise...yet!

So, new control arms worth a few hundred pennies and quite a number of hours later hopefully we're at the bottom of it all. I'm not looking forward to the bill :51:. One thing is for sure, I have had one of the most thorough inspections done on a ute as every visible nut, bolt was tightened, greased, brakes off, tightened...the list goes on. I should have trouble free driving for quite a few km's now!!!

Guido

One of my cab mounts fell out about 3 months after I got my ute. Nissan replaced the bolt and tightened the rest.

Dave.

hey,
i was just flicking through the manual for the d22 and came upon the ABS system.

it said that when going slow in either forward or reverse, that you may feel the car clunking and the brake pulsating due to some sort of ABS self test or something.

Chartrock, How did you go with that noise with your navara? I'm having the same issue

"I have the same problem with my STR. The noise appears to come from the rear and initially only when turning right (especially heard on roundabouts) but now can be heard turning left and right. It is due for its 40,000 service in a few weeks so we will see whether Nissan can find the problem."

Just wanted to know how you went or if anyone else knows what the issue is

It may sound totally silly and pers may laugh......
I have the same problem,,,, Clunk NOT rattle or crack..... Intermittent, left & right corners, roundabouts, and even driving on normal streets... Not usually freeways.....

I have put it down to the 'D' shackles I have on the towbar hitch of the truck they are relatively big hence I reckon the clunk NOT crack or ting.... Very dull noise. Anyways I followed my wife in our other car a while ago and the shackles will sit perfectly still for ages then when doing any of the above the 'D' shackle would bounce around a bit then stop mid corner etc then bounce around again if the direction change and it would settle somewhere else....

It's a big call I know and if I'm right you spent some unnecessary $$$$ SORRY.......

Last edited:
hey,
i was just flicking through the manual for the d22 and came upon the ABS system.

it said that when going slow in either forward or reverse, that you may feel the car clunking and the brake pulsating due to some sort of ABS self test or something.

i do get a small noise similar to what you describe there when reversing the brake pulsates and u feel and hear a dull clunk from the rear diff area. But i have the DX and I'm pretty sure I don't have ABS because I can lock it up quite nicely lol

PS is that manual cd?? I can't find 1 to buy that covers the zd30

Chartrock, How did you go with that noise with your navara? I'm having the same issue

Just wanted to know how you went or if anyone else knows what the issue is

Jas, sorry about the slow reply I did not see yor question till today.
I had the car in for service but was told they could not replcate the problem. I am going deaf in my dotage but my LOTO says she can still hear it. So I am afraid I have no answer for you. I have tried a number of the suggestions above but no joy and I am pretty sure my ST-R does not have ABS so that rules out another solution. I may try removing my tow bar tongue and see if the noise stops.

i guy i knew had the same problem and it turned out that the lower ball joint was stuffed and that was what the noise was on his.
so i wuld get them checked, nissan reckon's with his they couldn't find the problem but a pedder's suspension place found it for him.

i got that issue now i believe.

when ever i turn, and it doesnt have to be a hard turn left or right, i feel more than hear a clunk noise like if something in the steering area has like slipped or locked up.

havent any idea of what it could be yet and its fairly random, but getting more common. just over 7100km on the car and otherwise nothing else is an issue.

take it to nissan dealer now or wait for my 10K RAC service and have them solve it?

If it helps, I've tracked a couple of strange noises. in mine. take off and more often braking a creak...cab mount bolt missing. clunk clunk clunk from rear at slow speed in car parks or reversing..diff LSD binding. oil change. fixed. inexplicable rattle from rear and occasional dull thud on turns...the spare wheel needed one extra turn of the wind up. the chain for it rattles sometimes too. I've also had the creak from the steering stops when the grease has disappeared but that's pretty common as I understand

Latest posts

Back