Clunck when changing gears

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damgud987

Reaction score
Hi all I have a clunck when I pull away if I let the accelerator off clunck then put my foot down clunck do you think it could be the cv joints if so how can I check and are they diy fix? Many thanks

Could be the drive shafts (uni joints, more accurately). Under the car, grab one and give it a good shake. It shouldn't move, rotate freely, nothing. If they're both ok, put the car on jack stands and turn over each of the front wheels, you'll hear the CV joints better.

Are they (CVs or unis) a DIY fix? Depends on your skill/patience level and how good your tool collection is. You have to remove the old dust boot and install the new one - the clamps aren't too difficult. Both jobs are better done on a hoist.

Not sure what it is with the D40 uni's. I have had to replace both front and rear on my main shaft. The originals were not long lived.

I've changed mine ... let's say "numerous times" and leave it at that.

Got a front right wheel bearing going on me now, thankfully already have the replacement in the back. I'm considering dropping the RDA slotted rotors and getting all new discs + pads soon though - brakes are starting to feel a little aged, and these have done 150,000km at least.

Did mine at 150k. Started as a squeal on and off again from what I thought was front end right brake area. Then eventuated into the clunk and I knew it was uni straight away. Easy fix.
I'm going to have a go at it looks pretty much straight forward on YouTube lol

Half the battle is sourcing bearings not manufactured in China. Even some of the bearing shops can't say or "don't know" where their stock is made.
Maybe there are good ones around but I prefer not to take the risk.

I'm going to have a go at it looks pretty much straight forward on YouTube lol
Lots of genie piss, let them soak, use a big hammer, have blocks of wood handy, and a heavy vice. The circlips can be a pain, but it's all low tech... my economy improved after changing my front uni, which was squeaking, funny enough, it would only squeak in reverse.

Lots of genie piss, let them soak, use a big hammer, have blocks of wood handy, and a heavy vice. The circlips can be a pain, but it's all low tech... my economy improved after changing my front uni, which was squeaking, funny enough, it would only squeak in reverse.
Thank you I will give it a go

Latest posts

Back