Quantcast

Clock Spring?

The Navara Forum

Help Support The Navara Forum:

Cainezo

Reaction score
Hey legends!

So my horn isn't working and cruise control does not work.

The horn won't work no matter what the steering wheel position is, and cruise control light will show it is engaged, but it won't actually set speeds or anything.

Searched through the forums and it definitely seems like the clock spring is the answer, I just wanted to see if there was some good ways to test this theory before ordering the part? I've seen posts saying something about running a wire from the battery directly to the horn to test if this is working, how would I go about doing this?

Thanks in advance!!

KevinE

Reaction score
You could test the voltage at the horn with a multi meter on the connections while someone else helps out by pressing the horn, or

Unplug the horn from the wiring loom & apply 12V power at the connectors on the horn directly from the battery using jumper leads. Just be ready for the horn sounding when you touch the terminals on the horn with the jumper leads.

Cainezo

Reaction score
Thanks very much mate, I'll give it a whack :) Do I just find a diagram of the loom to find which one is responsible for the horn, or can I trace this back from the fuse box somehow? Sorry, I'm not very experienced with electricals, but always willing to learn.

Cheers!

KevinE

Reaction score
I'd just test via the actual horn under the bonnet first up;

If it doesn't register on the multi meter, you have a problem further back up the loom.

Or, if you test it by isolating it (by disconnecting the two wires) & it works when you apply 12V via jumper leads, then you have a problem elsewhere.

Just a thought, but have you checked the horn fuse? If not, I'd check that first.

Cainezo

Reaction score
Ah brilliant that makes sense! Cheers. Haha yeah checked the fuse and no issues.

Old.Tony

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
With a fine flat, medium flat and PH2 Phillips screwdriver plus a torx driver bit and a large spanner for the steering wheel nut you can check it yourself with a multimeter. The clock spring has pins on both sides that connect the horn and cruise control buttons. Indicator/headlight/wiper controls are managed on the sides of the clock spring unit, you can ignore these because they don't use the inner spring. It will be a matter of trial and error with the multimeter - but what I did was place the multimeter in resistance mode with sound on, place one electrode on the connector for the steering wheel controls and then run the other electrode through the range of pins in the bottom. If none of them make a beep you know the wire's broken.

Take care removing the airbag. It's easy to disconnect, just don't put your face too close to it in case it triggers (unlikely, but possible). It has a black retaining clip that needs to be pulled up and away from the yellow plug before pulling the yellow plug out.

Cainezo

Reaction score
Thanks mate!

Would disconnecting the battery before removing the airbag be advised or does the airbag trigger not use power from the battery?

Old.Tony

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
The airbag trigger does use battery power, but I've never had an issue with mine, and I've had my clock spring out quite a few times. If you feel more comfortable without any power to the vehicle, make sure you have the radio PIN beforehand, and write down your trip meter values if you use those for fuel consumption records then remove the negative battery terminal lead. As you open the door again, the internal light should consume what's left in the system.

Latest posts