Clock spring replace now Steering angle fault

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannydogfish

Reaction score
hi Guys thanks for allowing me to join the forum, I have a 2012 Navara pickup CDI Automatic, had the airbag light on for a couple of months and decided to change the airbag spring, all went well airbag light reset but have slip and ESP lights on, had a friend plug in and to try and calibrate but didnt work got the codes; C1143 (ST ANG SEN CIRCUIT) and C1133 (engine signal4) do I need to change the steering angle sensor, if so where can I get one in the UK.. tried every where? thanks

Double check that you plugged the steering angle sensor into the clock spring fully first.

hi landmann thanks for coming back to me, I re checked it yesterday all looked right, I checked if any of the pins where bent but all ok too?

This exact problem cost me over $1500 to fix at Nissan.

I had followed a video on youtube to the letter, and this was the result.

Turns out you have to transfer the Steering Angle Sensor from the old clock spring to the new clock spring, for some clock springs on the market. Or maybe all of them.

Anyhow, take your new one off again, and compare it to your old one and see if theres something that needs to be transferred across.

Going to try and get it calibrated again on a different machine, if that fails I think I will have to invest in a second hand angle sensor.

Hi Guys had an other garage plug the Navara in to try and calibrate the Steering angle sensor after me changing the Squib spring unit, there computer says break in circuit or no power to Steering angle sensor, anyone got any ideas?
got codes C1143 ST Ang Sen Circuit and C1133 Engine sign 4 ( not related to Angle sensor)any help would be great

How sure are you that the new clock spring hasn't broken already?

I ask this because we bought a clock spring from a seller on eBay and when it arrived, I assumed that it was already centred. With the steering wheels straight, I installed the new clock spring, reassembled and went for a drive. First time I used full lock destroyed the clock spring - they had it wound completely one way but pegged as if it were centred. Lesson learned, I re-centre them myself now (even if I'm rebuilding it myself, which is what I did last time and it still hasn't failed).

Hi Old Tony thanks for the response.. I did exactly the same, had to buy a second squib spring, and centralise it the second time, before fitting steering wheel back on, everything else is working cruise control, air bag light has gone off, so think the new squibs working fine. I just need to the skip and ESP light to go off, and apparently I need to have the steering angle sensor calibrated to sort it, have had it two different garages, both mates, and they have both got the same CODE C1143, ang sen circuit.. So still trying to sort it before investing in a new steering angle sensor, think its a circuit issue, any ideas??

Has anyone got a wiring diagram for Navara Navara D40 2012 DTC circuit, showing the Steering angle sensor?

My Nissan Service Manual doesn't describe that fault at all. I even looked through the section describing replacing the "spiral cable" (we call it a "clock spring", but it's actually just a ribbon cable wound around itself). It doesn't even describe an item called "Steering Angle Sensor", so I can't help there, but ... I found this video, it might help with resetting the sensor using a diagnostic tool.

hi Guys thanks for allowing me to join the forum, I have a 2012 Navara pickup CDI Automatic, had the airbag light on for a couple of months and decided to change the airbag spring, all went well airbag light reset but have slip and ESP lights on, had a friend plug in and to try and calibrate but didnt work got the codes; C1143 (ST ANG SEN CIRCUIT) and C1133 (engine signal4) do I need to change the steering angle sensor, if so where can I get one in the UK.. tried every where? thanks
I had similar problem with my 2010 Navara. Tried to do it myself easy enough to fit but had all sorts of problems. Took it to my local garage they basically said most of the non genuine parts out there don't work. One genuine part and fitted. £260 later all sorted.

My Nissan Service Manual doesn't describe that fault at all. I even looked through the section describing replacing the "spiral cable" (we call it a "clock spring", but it's actually just a ribbon cable wound around itself). It doesn't even describe an item called "Steering Angle Sensor", so I can't help there, but ... I found this video, it might help with resetting the sensor using a diagnostic tool.

THANKS TONY

Latest posts

Back