Clicking from transfer case d22

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ollieb84

Reaction score
Hi all. Last oil change Infound a small chunk of metal on the drain plug of the transfer case, the other day I got run off the road by a kid in a tractor, slammed a pothole, now I have a continuous clicking coming from the transfer case. Every thing works fine. My question is: is it worth stripping the t case and replacing a bearing if that is what it is or buying a second hand unknown t case. The oil seal leaks too and the oil disappears quickly. Which could be what had contributed to it. Not sure why hitting some potholes would trigger it though. Any thoughts appreciated.

A "ticking noise" sounds like it could be something other than a bearing. Had a (different brand) 4x4 that developed a ticking noise in the gearbox once, ended up being a spline or something broken on the input shaft. Was a particularly crappy car though, things like gearboxes were expendable items like filters are on normal cars lol.

Are you certain it's from within the transfer itself? Tailshaft, unis, centre bearing all ok, nothing else it could be?

It'll depend on cost re replace or repair options. Unfortunately you won't really know what that will amount to until the transfer is stripped to find the damage.

could be one of a few things. may be a stretched transfer chain.
i have doubts about the pothole incident damaging the transfer case, how sure are you the noise is coming from there?

Hi all, so first I bought a load of bearings and uj’s but when I put the truck on stands and got under it when running It was clear it was coming from the transfer box. But closer to where it joins the gear box. So I ordering a second hand one from the scrap yard for £120 delivered, and spent a couple of days under it swapping it out with my dad. He’s pretty good at mechanics so we tagged teamed it. Joined it with some three bond and out it all back together. Runs sweet as a nut. When you rotate the shaft but on the t case you can feel every revolution it nights up and clicks slightly. It was also black inside probably due to low burning oil as the seal was clearly leaking. Only changed the oil a few months ago and got about 100mls out of it. The new case was nice and shiny inside. And with the original oil in it which also looked good.
But if a pig getting off and out though, few things I found and saw mention of are as follows-
1) getting the torsion bars out- ideal world you can remove the bars from the spline housing mount but mine were well and truly in there, I found removing the snap ring and shifting the bars as far back as possible to get the front mounts off 2 of the 3 studs, I then managed to drop the strut out without putting force in studs, of course once all cleaned up and greased it all went back in a dream.
2) hand break cable existing the floor stopped the t case from moving back enough, so out came the binnacle and hand break.

3) you need to take the gear knobs and gater off, remove all insulation rubber and the plate that holds it all down to expose the 3 bolts at the top of the t case.

4) spray every thing with a penetrating oil a few days before. Especially the torsion bar springs. Mind you it’s 2003 plate.

so for £140 including gasket seal thought it was a pretty good job well done. Oh and some oil.

Latest posts

Back