Chassis rust ,

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was fitting a city bar on the truck and found rust on the chassis, it’s going into the dealer to get checked, 17reg , 55k miles , anyone else found this

Attachments

• 93E5E545-9F14-4C3D-8F28-E2DB400F3B89.jpeg
    93E5E545-9F14-4C3D-8F28-E2DB400F3B89.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 109
  • E57AD80E-7999-46DC-96E9-9BC38EF88E4C.jpeg
    E57AD80E-7999-46DC-96E9-9BC38EF88E4C.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 110
  • 9744D3AC-CA61-457C-8BCD-25418E58FAF9.jpeg
    9744D3AC-CA61-457C-8BCD-25418E58FAF9.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 106
So its only has 3 years warranty , Could make a claim for good will providing Nissan serviced your Vehicle , Are you in the UK because Salt is used on icy roads there and it inhibits rust on steel .

So its only has 3 years warranty , Could make a claim for good will providing Nissan serviced your Vehicle , Are you in the UK because Salt is used on icy roads there and it inhibits rust on steel .
It has 5 years or 100,000mls warranty , Nissan dealer has checked it and are saying that it’s ok , rust is commensurate with the age of the car , what do you think guys , looks bad to me 😩

Attachments

• 3575C0BF-B254-4971-AD12-A7EF7E4B9DAA.jpeg
    3575C0BF-B254-4971-AD12-A7EF7E4B9DAA.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 86
At this stage it is just surface corrosion where the factory applied paint has fallen off.
The rock salt applied to the roads in countries like the UK, Ireland and some US states destroys cars.
Out of interest, Isuzu get their pickups undersealed as they arrive in the country.

Your best bet is to spend £400 on getting it undersealed.

Hi Rainbow Warrior, you have not said where you are and what conditions the vehicle has been driven in.
If the car is driven in salt then this is what I would expect to see and in saying that in another 3 years the car will have deteriorated considerably. The issue is if you can see this on the outside of the chassis then what is happening where you cannot see it.
I'm in Australia so no salty roads just the ocean to worry about if you go 4WD on the beach. I had a D22 some years ago that presented with surface rust on the radiator support panel, the under side of the tray and the bumper, the Nissan dealer rectified the whole lot, sand blasted, primed and repainted and fitted a new bumper.
What I can see in the photos and what you are seeing is far worse than surface rust. Particularly the pic's where it is blistering. I would be more insistent and push the issue however the dealer may claim that you have not maintained the vehicle properly and this is the end result.
There is no magic cure for rust or corrosion, once the rust starts the is no stopping it unless it is completely removed, the surface treated then primed and repainted. Under sealing it now will only hide what is there and it will keep rotting away out of sight.
In my opinion the best rust preventive is fish oil..

Hi Rainbow Warrior, you have not said where you are and what conditions the vehicle has been driven in.
If the car is driven in salt then this is what I would expect to see and in saying that in another 3 years the car will have deteriorated considerably. The issue is if you can see this on the outside of the chassis then what is happening where you cannot see it.
I'm in Australia so no salty roads just the ocean to worry about if you go 4WD on the beach. I had a D22 some years ago that presented with surface rust on the radiator support panel, the under side of the tray and the bumper, the Nissan dealer rectified the whole lot, sand blasted, primed and repainted and fitted a new bumper.
What I can see in the photos and what you are seeing is far worse than surface rust. Particularly the pic's where it is blistering. I would be more insistent and push the issue however the dealer may claim that you have not maintained the vehicle properly and this is the end result.
There is no magic cure for rust or corrosion, once the rust starts the is no stopping it unless it is completely removed, the surface treated then primed and repainted. Under sealing it now will only hide what is there and it will keep rotting away out of sight.
But by Been
At this stage it is just surface corrosion
yes we have salt on the road here in Scotland, looking at the rest o the chassis there’s no rust at all , you would think there would be some at the rear or under the tub if there’s some under the engine where there’s protection covers .
where the factory applied paint has fallen off.
The rock salt applied to the roads in countries like the UK, Ireland and some US states destroys cars.
Out of interest, Isuzu get their pickups undersealed as they arrive in the country.

Your best bet is to spend £400 on getting it undersealed.
It’s £650 here to get it done professionally, motor off the road f

This is the outcome of Nissan’s investigation 😩

Attachments

• A60AAE3B-A00F-4B9F-854C-B7B849F84E44.jpeg
    A60AAE3B-A00F-4B9F-854C-B7B849F84E44.jpeg
    374.4 KB · Views: 112
Good that you have the official case raised with NCS.
I suggest you write back informing them that you are not happy with outcome and that you wish to escalate the complaint within NCS.

Rust for a 2017 vehicle does seem excessive but fixable. I understand your environment is somewhat more arduous. However you do have maintain these things. 10 year old D40 here that lives in the tropics and near the sea. Go off road on some muddy tracks. Do the occasional pressure wash and particularly straight after muddy track trip, then WD40 or similar after and still as good as new. Cant see the Steel chassis and coating/painting process being to dissimilar to the Navara sitting in my garage.

Although I wish you the best with your claim. Seems like Nissan service is universal. -Pretty poor.

If your that worried about the surface rust , go to a good auto store and buy a couple of large pressurepak cans of Kill rust , give the rust a sand down and apply 2 coats , at least you'll know its been done .

If your that worried about the surface rust , go to a good auto store and buy a couple of large pressurepak cans of Kill rust , give the rust a sand down and apply 2 coats , at least you'll know its been done .

I applied Noxudol rust eater to the rear of the chassis when I got the Nav 6 months ago , I didn’t check for rust under the engine covers , I can apply it there but I’m worried about the inside of the chassis, will probably get the whole chassis done professionally, they will need it for a week and it’s £650

Attachments

• 300876E8-A673-48A8-B25D-920914A28CAE.jpeg
    300876E8-A673-48A8-B25D-920914A28CAE.jpeg
    221.9 KB · Views: 12

Latest posts

Back