chassis differences

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwolf

Reaction score
can anyone tell me if the 2wd and 4wd d21 chassis's are the same ?
and if not what are the differences ?
reason being mines got a bit of rust in a few tricky spots to repair and i know of a 2wd dual cab that i can get for cheap which has a good one.
so if they where the same i'd get that one and do a swap over.
rather than repair mine.
thanks craig

They're very different.

The front end suspension is very different, and there's no mounts for the front diff.

And the body mounts are 50mm lower.

They're very different.

The front end suspension is very different, and there's no mounts for the front diff.

And the body mounts are 50mm lower.

righto thanks. i kinda thought that'd be the case but you never know untill you ask.
what about throughout the d21 4wd range did they change any thing between the years ?
there's an early one in the wreckers nearby that has a rusted out body but the chassis looks alright, was a farm hack and probably never saw the beach.
unlike mine i think it spent a lot of time on the beach or may even have had a swim some time in the past.
thanks

what about throughout the d21 4wd range did they change any thing between the years ?
there's an early one in the wreckers nearby that has a rusted out body but the chassis looks alright, was a farm hack and probably never saw the beach.
unlike mine i think it spent a lot of time on the beach or may even have had a swim some time in the past.
thanks

As far as I've seen, provided the cab type is the same (single/king/dual), it should be interchangeable. I'm not aware of any differences.

The worst you're likely to find is thickness of various bits and pieces. extra gussets, welding in different places. It shouldn't make too much difference if you're gonna just straight up swap the chassis'

The worst you're likely to find is thickness of various bits and pieces. extra gussets, welding in different places. It shouldn't make too much difference if you're gonna just straight up swap the chassis'

all depends on the dollars they want for it.
i can repair this one no probs just time wise and the end result.
if it's not too expensive then i'll sand blast it and paint it up properly so then
it'll last for years.
the way it is now i reckon i'll be doing repair after repair chasing the rust.
if i do swap the chassis then it'll be a good excuse to give it a panel and paint at the same time. :)

went and seen the guys at the wreckers. $400 for a 86 dual cab chassis it's in pretty good nick no rust to be seen anywhere. average price i thought.
but i might go one better and be able to get hold of a whole car for $200.
gotta go and have a look at it.

went and seen the guys at the wreckers. $400 for a 86 dual cab chassis it's in pretty good nick no rust to be seen anywhere. average price i thought.

That sounds like par for the course. Still bloody unfair though, wreckers are so arsey. Something that they would have otherwise got $100 for from scrap metal, nobody else is going to come looking for it, no labour in getting it ready since it's already stripped or will have to be anyway to get the other parts, but it's apparently worth $400.

Regardless though, if they don't make a quid on it, they're not doing business. I've never shopped around for a chassis before, and in my ignorance, would probably have accepted the $400. Sure, the wreckers have made their dough off of it a hundred fold, but they still have to pay rent on the site and all other running costs. If that chassis wasn't there, there'd be another vehicle that they'd be dismantling and getting $ for.

How'd it all pan out anyways Cwolf, did you get the chassis or the $200 shitta?

yeah mate i understand how the whole wreckers thing works.
and if i needed it bad enough with no alternatives then i'd probably shell out the 400 and fix it.
as far as the shitter goes looks like it's turned into a " just take the thing away" freebie. :)
next issue will be finding some space for it, stripping it and disposing of the unwanted bits. . . . oh and the lack of time but that's pretty standard with everything i do.

Latest posts

Back