Catch Cans (2 sizes) - Forefront Industries

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the small one I swapped the inlet and outlet around, I also looked at a similar unit and this was the way it was, so far the outside of the filter has remained totally clean and it's draining nicely , yes I have ignored the instructions and did it the way my brain said it would function better, got to love engineers hey, I've also mounted mine on the engine

Common sense and making errors is far better for learning than instructions. I did the same mate.

With the small one I swapped the inlet and outlet around, I also looked at a similar unit and this was the way it was, so far the outside of the filter has remained totally clean and it's draining nicely , yes I have ignored the instructions and did it the way my brain said it would function better, got to love engineers hey, I've also mounted mine on the engine

thinking about swopping the pipes meself just thought I might get a response from the forefront guys is all. swopping the pipes would make it easier for the drain back system

I would there is 20 layers of mesh to get through , the drain lines up with the top hose , I did ask forefront the question and they did agree .
Part of my work involves filters , fluids gases etc. so have a little knowledge of this sort of thing

Last edited:
might even be able to bloke the large hole in the bottom of the filter and drill a few drain holes throu the bottom plate between the outter case and the drain that way the over preasure release valve would still work, mind you swopping the pipes would be easier

Take a look at the diagram for the larger one, the over pressure valve is likely to have issues if the oil level fills up on the outside before making it through the filter

Ok after following destructions, in through the bottom and out through the top. It DOESNT work. After 8k left more oil in outlet hose than not having filter. And clear drain hose not even touched by oil.
Did read to run backwards. In through the top and out the bottom. Will be trialing this for another service distance.
Will report back. In 5k to 8k!

Ummm, they ARE supposed to be inlet top, outlet bottom....

Dont expect catch cans to pick up tonnes of oil in the first week or so. Mine took a 300km trip to start noticing the results. Around town it will take longer. I run a Provent though, but these Forefront ones look good too so you wont be let down.

I have now done 3000kms with the can fitted, drain hose is still clean, but the can itself and filter has quite a bit of oil in it.

REGARDING THE SMALL CAN

they are supposed to be connected top to turbo and bottom from rocker cover

the idea to this is that is the flow direction of the gas ....so the oil and air will be traveling in this direction pulling or pushing the oil through the filter to the middle cavity in the can and using gravity to drain to the bottom

HOWEVER!!! many users like malicious have experimented with exchanging the pipes and have had reported very good results...some say better than if the other way around

Ok after following destructions, in through the bottom and out through the top. It DOESNT work. After 8k left more oil in outlet hose than not having filter. And clear drain hose not even touched by oil.
Did read to run backwards. In through the top and out the bottom. Will be trialing this for another service distance.
Will report back. In 5k to 8k!

im confused by this

How are you confused. Followed destructions in your first post, rocker cover to inlet (bottom) ,Outlet (top) to turbo not hard. After 8000kms it cought jack.
Now after another 5000kms to 8000kms I will report back from running it backwards bottom to turbo and top to rocker cover as some others have reported.

ran mine for a week the factory way and it caught oil the intake side was oil coated and outlet side nuttin. switched sides thou so its more effective when plumbing the oil waste pipe back into engine just incase oil vapour from sump makes it way up

Has anyone fit a large catch can in a ZD30 like this?

image-2658441346.jpg

If so have you got any pics around the catch can to see what to do with the bottom, the clearance around it and exact location in relation to the fuel filter and firewall?

Did you have to move anything or modify the drain outlet on the can or anything?

I was mucking around before and trying to dummy up where to put it, ways to face the inlet/outlet, etc. but had trouble with the drain outlet touching the body work or just getting F all clearance. Either that or trouble fitting it where the bonnet hinge would clear.

Or has anyone found a location to get better clearance around the drain outlet?

I would like to know how to clean the filter inside the catch can. I had a mate tell me to drop in a bucket of Kerosene, but I am not really feeling that. What is the recommendation from the manufacturer? I went to the Forefront website but could find any information on cleaning it.

Has anyone fit a large catch can in a ZD30 like this?

View attachment 15608

If so have you got any pics around the catch can to see what to do with the bottom, the clearance around it and exact location in relation to the fuel filter and firewall?

Did you have to move anything or modify the drain outlet on the can or anything?

I was mucking around before and trying to dummy up where to put it, ways to face the inlet/outlet, etc. but had trouble with the drain outlet touching the body work or just getting F all clearance. Either that or trouble fitting it where the bonnet hinge would clear.

Or has anyone found a location to get better clearance around the drain outlet?

Rastik I have mine like this, I drilled a hole in the engine bay floor/wheel well roof so the drain bung pokes through to the wheel well, that way you wont have clearance issues up top.

Thread from the dead.

So I finally got around to making a bracket to mount this puppy, turns out I ended up having the same idea as DaveHAT... works great and out of the way, until I blow a tail light fuse I guess.

Bracket was made from scrap steel in our workshop (also made the EGR plate), lick of paint from a can left over from another job, hose to plumb it up was about $15 overall one of the cheapest mods I've done. I've plumbed it 'backwards' as previously described as it makes sense to me. I'm about to do a 7000klm 'round trip so I should be able to give a an accurate account of highway and city results ( I haven't plumbed a drain pipe, any overflow will be on the inner guard)

Attachments

• DPP_0004.jpg
    DPP_0004.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 245
  • DPP_0006.jpg
    DPP_0006.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 258
This is a small catch can, fitted to my 2006 D22.
Bracket is aluminum angle, shaped and bolted.
Fitted a clear plastic tube with a tap on the end.
Did a trip to Darwin, about 8ths kys, collected about 300 to 400mil.
To much i think, should have measured it properly, after this oil and filter change i will drain and measure properly.

15077155568_65311a2cfc.jpg

15077155598_7615c3f6df.jpg

Latest posts

Back