CAS Gear, harmonic balancer etc ZD30

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nafen

Reaction score
Hi fellas,

Chasing an issue on my ZD30 powered Nav which has been happening on and off for way too long now. Ive been trying to make it completely fail so i can find the problem but at that point it just starts up and runs again.

So searching here and i found this quote from Northside in another thread.
I have seen this a few times. And i know its going to sound stupid.
But first thing to check, was the original crank angle sensor damaged?

I have had two come in with the exact same problem and it was caused by the CAS gear coming loose and moving all over the place resulting in car that was very hard to start,Sometimes ran like a bag of S*@T and sometimes good, Occasionally threw a CAS code, made occasional weird noises from the bellhousing area, and had an extremely erratic wave form from the CAS (as the wheel was moving towards and away from it in an eccentric manner).

If your mechanic has an oscilloscope get him to do a scope of the CAS to check for fluctuations.
Those are the exact symtoms of mine bar the cas code, i get a knocking from the bellhousing area when off the throttle and everything else as mentioned.

Are there any pics or diagrams showing the ring gear 'inside the bellhousing' and the CAS itself?

Cheers,
Nafen

SM1E-1D22FG1

Page 119. Have you downloaded the service manual ?

If not its in the D22 section.

Any problems, sing out.

Hey Dave,
Yeh just dloaded the manual again, the one i had was the old one.

Spoke to Northside this morning and they were extremely helpful and im trying a few things and then if it continues to happen ill put a scope on the cas.

Cheers,
Nafen

Back