Caravan Towing.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to the information I have on the Nissan Spec sheet the D22 DX 4x4 single cab is as follows ;
Tare mass is 1559 kg without the tray
Carry capacity 1301 kg without the tray
Gross vehicle mass 2860 kg, the same as a dual cab.
In saying that, the lighter the tray fitted to a single cab the more pay load. An that would be the same for a dual cab if a tray swap was done. If the tare weight can be reduced then the pay load can be increased but still not above the GVM.
I can try and post the sheet if any one wants it for information.

Thats interesting that GVM stays the same for both which probably means that with a 3000 kg towbar the GCM would be or might be 5860 for tray models but 5660 for tubs, doesn't make any difference in my case as don't need 3000kg so limited by 2860kg for GVM and be well under GCM.
Reworking aluminium tray which is much lighter than a steel one here and now using plastic water tanks (124L cap) but expect two fuel tanks will be 70kg+ (250L cap) heaps when full but not going to be full often and only when going to remote areas, crate/body on tray is not too heavy but might leave roof rack off, will see how we go as I keep adding.;)

I have the same problem: i do tow in 5 when in flat country, as stated before change down gears when engine revvs start dropping.
Now with GCM it's a problem i have emailed Nissan 3 time with my question of what is the GCM have supplied the vin ect, just dont get any reply.

I have a 2005 ddi ZD30 turbo, Normal driving use 10.5/11 lt per hundred Klm. Now towing my van a 18ft fully loaded comes in at 1750/1850KG i'm usually getting around 15/16 lt per 100 Klm tho at time going into heavey head wind it went to 19 lt per 100 Klm. My rego papers state Tare 1895 GVM2920,
GCM i have two figures 5920 that i got of some internet site like Reece tow bars or similar they stated tow cap 3000kg GCM 5920 so thats what i go by.

I also have my own calculation but can't be sure if i'm right, 5290 or 4990 ? who knows. As we all know the handbook and Nissan is as useless as a "take ya pick".

I personally think the GCM of all should have the GCM on the Rego papers or at least in the owners manual.
Here in W.A the DoT do not record GCM for vehicles whose tare is under 4.5 ton (how stupid) so can not help, in W.A if no GCM is not supplied by the manufacture the GCM is your tare X 1.5 go figure, there is ADR rules on this but like all Gov't bull dust contradicts itself a bloody mine field.
I think if you got stoped and weighed by the authority they would soon come up with a GCM figure just so they could bust ya.

If any one can add to this or the original post please do so.
Now don't get me started on the rules & regs on towing mirrors thats not a mine field it's 10 mine fields in one.

Regards Ge "metfast"

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back