Cant bleed the fuel lines

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nav22

Reaction score
Hey guys. We've managed to get out 07 ZD30 stuck on the side of the road a few hours from home.

We were checking to see if we had water in our fuel line and cant prime the fuel through again.
Our manual primer isn't build any pressure, and we can't seem to push the diesel through by pressurising the tank.

We have a spare primer at home but does anyone have any tip in case it doesn't work before we make the trip back?

Cheera

if using a bit of compressed air down the tank vent, thats under the bonnet, doesn't push fuel up (need to have hose off the fuel filter) then you may have a fuel line blockage or broken tank pick up.

btw i changed one of ours to a boat style primer and fitted it at the tank end.

Hey guys. We've managed to get out 07 ZD30 stuck on the side of the road a few hours from home.

We were checking to see if we had water in our fuel line and cant prime the fuel through again.
Our manual primer isn't build any pressure, and we can't seem to push the diesel through by pressurising the tank.

We have a spare primer at home but does anyone have any tip in case it doesn't work before we make the trip back?

Cheera
Excuse if this sounds silly, but have seen it done so thought I'd ask. Have you got the fuel line that goes between filter and pump undone (at the fuel filter) when trying this?

Excuse if this sounds silly, but have seen it done so thought I'd ask. Have you got the fuel line that goes between filter and pump undone (at the fuel filter) when trying this?
Daresay this has been sorted by now but if you aren't getting any fuel on the outlet side of filter the prime pump is stuffed, if that is ok I usually just drop the tank return line off and pump until fuel comes out, usually fires up after a couple of turns.
The primer pumps are pretty cheap on ebay and they seem to be a regular problem.

Daresay this has been sorted by now but if you aren't getting any fuel on the outlet side of filter the prime pump is stuffed, if that is ok I usually just drop the tank return line off and pump until fuel comes out, usually fires up after a couple of turns.
The primer pumps are pretty cheap on ebay and they seem to be a regular problem.
I have just ordered a hand prime pump,...fuel seems to be bleeding back away from pump after being parked up for a while...no diesel leaks on my garage floor or when i pump up primer,..sometimes 10-15 pumps now til it goes firm. Hoping this will sort the problem. will post results if and when successful.D22 zd30

D22 zd30,...meant to ask this question before,... can anyone confirm whether there should be a smaller rubber seal/o-ring between the filter and the primer pump housing. I feel certain that in the past i have had to fit what looks like a peice of black rubber hose (Thats the profile, not like a standard o-ring) cut off at about 10mm between filter top and housing when changing the fuel fiter. Funny thing is that I dont recall getting a new one with the new filters, only the bottom o-ring. And from memory its not a tight fit,...sort of thing that u could easily lose if not concentrating. I noticed some of the hand primer pump pics on EBAY appear to come with the seal I am referring to, but not the one I ordered. Whatta ya reckon???

D22 zd30,...meant to ask this question before,... can anyone confirm whether there should be a smaller rubber seal/o-ring between the filter and the primer pump housing. I feel certain that in the past i have had to fit what looks like a peice of black rubber hose (Thats the profile, not like a standard o-ring) cut off at about 10mm between filter top and housing when changing the fuel fiter. Funny thing is that I dont recall getting a new one with the new filters, only the bottom o-ring. And from memory its not a tight fit,...sort of thing that u could easily lose if not concentrating. I noticed some of the hand primer pump pics on EBAY appear to come with the seal I am referring to, but not the one I ordered. Whatta ya reckon???
I reckon you're right! I'm sure there's a seal there also..

I reckon you're right! I'm sure there's a seal there also..
Funny thing is,..the old Navara has been running perfectly up til about 3 weeks ago, so if I am missing the mentioned seal, well it hasnt been a problem for 4-5 months.???? Brand new filter just to eliminate obvious issues didnt make a scrap of difference....worse if anything which brings me back to primer pump. Will let Y'all know how it goes.

Funny thing is,..the old Navara has been running perfectly up til about 3 weeks ago, so if I am missing the mentioned seal, well it hasnt been a problem for 4-5 months.???? Brand new filter just to eliminate obvious issues didnt make a scrap of difference....worse if anything which brings me back to primer pump. Will let Y'all know how it goes.
Yeah do that!

oh, If she has been sucking air the i.j pump will hate that! Put a "pick up pump" at the tank, pressurise the line..

If fuel is dropping back while sitting, there is an air leak in the line and you won't see any fuel on the outside, sometimes they can be hard to find but usually happen after something is touched or replaced, it doesn't take much for an air leak. just a slightly loose fitting can do it.
Because I have dual tanks I have an aux pump and non return valves after the pollock c/o solenoid and with all the extra fittings had a hell of a job trying to find a couple of leaks but ended up being in a prefilter air relief screw.
Irrespective of whether you put an auxiliary pump at the tank and have a good hand primer you still need to find your air leak, I did use some clear plastic hoses to try and identify where leaks were coming from but they are really hard to seal and can confuse the issue more.

Yeah do that!

oh, If she has been sucking air the i.j pump will hate that! Put a "pick up pump" at the tank, pressurise the line..
If you use an aux pump you probably need a bypass non return valve depending on pump type so that if it stops fuel can still get through.
Personally think you are better off relying on the hand prime as if working properly it doesn't take many pumps.
Edit even if you have an aux pump an air leak will still introduce air into the system and injector pump, I really think my air leak problem or at least time to find it caused the SCV to fail.

If you use an aux pump you probably need a bypass non return valve depending on pump type so that if it stops fuel can still get through.
Personally think you are better off relying on the hand prime as if working properly it doesn't take many pumps.
Edit even if you have an aux pump an air leak will still introduce air into the system and injector pump, I really think my air leak problem or at least time to find it caused the SCV to fail.
Howdy bloke,
If you have a look at the pump and plumbing i did on mine you'll notice the by pass valve and plumbing... Billy Hunt not silly ,,,,,,

Ha, You can stand there all day and hand prime if ya want bloke lol
But there is more benefits than just filter change days ;)
The ZD's pump get bench tested at 5psi, diesel man recommends the same feed when installed.. Something about pump timing???
And if you want to run a pre filter with the water inspection bowl you'll need to run a pick up pump.. so, I did what I thought you had to do.. been on there for over 80000ks with no issues so far.

Yeah, I don't know how a line with constant feed and pressure is going too take on air? Can't see that one!
Pump when running at idle sits above 8psi, on the gas she'll drop to 3 to 5 psi AT the pump, then the pump takes over.. no air getting in there bloke! As soon as one of those lines or fittings leaks you'll know about It with a puddle before air ingress.. each to their own though eh
And let's not forget the best bit, the fighter plane NOISE you get pre start up lol my God they're loud! Rubber mounted mine too, needs another shroud I think! The bash plate i made helped, but she's got the primer noise of a D12 before she fires ;)

You won't find many with the seal that goes between filter and housing where it screws on (though I have one) as most people wouldn't bother. You won't get one with a filter either. They seem to be more common on the patrols.

It's very unlikely to cause your problem. At worst it will allow a small amount of fuel to bypass the filter element. It's the big o ring on top of the filter and the smaller one on the bottom for the float switch that could cause your problem, as if not sealed properly they will let air in.

You won't find many with the seal that goes between filter and housing where it screws on (though I have one) as most people wouldn't bother. You won't get one with a filter either. They seem to be more common on the patrols.

It's very unlikely to cause your problem. At worst it will allow a small amount of fuel to bypass the filter element. It's the big o ring on top of the filter and the smaller one on the bottom for the float switch that could cause your problem, as if not sealed properly they will let air in.
Ahhhh so that's where I've seen it, on a pooroll forum maybe.. I'm danm sure mine has one,,, you got me now- I'll see next filter change... see you in 5000ks!

If fuel is dropping back while sitting, there is an air leak in the line and you won't see any fuel on the outside, sometimes they can be hard to find but usually happen after something is touched or replaced, it doesn't take much for an air leak. just a slightly loose fitting can do it.
Because I have dual tanks I have an aux pump and non return valves after the pollock c/o solenoid and with all the extra fittings had a hell of a job trying to find a couple of leaks but ended up being in a prefilter air relief screw.
Irrespective of whether you put an auxiliary pump at the tank and have a good hand primer you still need to find your air leak, I did use some clear plastic hoses to try and identify where leaks were coming from but they are really hard to seal and can confuse the issue more.
Yeah grumpy, I had a small split in my fuel line underneath the protective rubber sheath or whatever surrounding the hose. A mate of mine suggested this so I cut it off and found the culprit. Right around where the feed and return hoses run together if I recall.

Happened with mine, check the primer plunger on top of filter is tight, i had to tighten the philips screw that holds it on was loose, job done.

Latest posts

Back