Canning Stock Route Closed Indefinitely.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horatius

Misanthrope
Reaction score
No doubt anyone who cares will already be aware of this, but it looks unlikely to be open in 2021 either (from the advice of someone on the "track care" group). Unlikely to be opened until there is a Covid vaccine and the relevant communities have been vaccinated effectively. Fair enough and quite understandable I suppose. That's assuming an effective vaccine can be had, as viruses are well known for mutating, and it could end up like the "flu shot" where an updated one is required regularly.

So even when/if it does reopen, it might be some time before people are allowed into the half way community at Well 33 to fuel up. Which would mean either carrying enough fuel to go the 1850 kms from Wiluna to Halls Ck (or vice versa) or arranging for fuel drop off at well 23 (I think?). A strange new world we're living in.

https://permits.canningstockroute.net.au/

Pitty, been thinking of doing the Canning for some time. Now that I can't go overseas and do a couple or roads still on bucket list the Canning has been raised to the top of the list. None the less I would do so with doing the whole 1850K's with enough fuel aboard. I wont be stopping at any community for fuel For me it's all about the drive and to do so unsupported is all part challenge. From what i have heard and seen the canning is not that hard in itself but it's just unrelenting.

Pitty, been thinking of doing the Canning for some time. Now that I can't go overseas and do a couple or roads still on bucket list the Canning has been raised to the top of the list. None the less I would do so with doing the whole 1850K's with enough fuel aboard. I wont be stopping at any community for fuel For me it's all about the drive and to do so unsupported is all part challenge. From what i have heard and seen the canning is not that hard in itself but it's just unrelenting.

Yes unrelenting is a good descriptor. I did it in August last year on my KTM530EXC enduro motorcycle with a friend driving my D40 Navara as support.

If you're going north to south note the bit from Halls Creek down to Billiluna is a formed unsealed road as is the last 28km into Wiluna. Once you get to Bililuna the true off road experience starts. Once permitted it's the last place for fuel and general supplies before heading into the unrelenting desert. You've got about 600km to the community at Well 33 then another 1000km to Wiluna. The sense of isolation is real. The vehicles average about 30kph ... the motorcycles about 45kph

If you enjoy sand and dunes then you'll love it. I had 14psi cold in the tyres (in the Navara) and it walked up the dunes like a camel. I ran 11 psi cold in the KTM. The sand has some clay so it's not as bad as beach sand. It was better in the morning when cool compared to the afternoons in the heat.

It was the last few hundred kilometres before Wiluna where the very rocky outcropping terrain caused some damage to the Navara. The driver hit a rock shelf and shoved the LH front wheel back 10mm! The lower control arm brackets were bent back and the stabiliser bar mount crushed. It cost me $1000 on a frame pulling rig to get it repaired. Even with the damage the trusty Navara kept going and got us home safely.

We made a short four minute highlights reel.

Last edited:
Thanks for insight, Info and nice little vid you put together.

If you still about, how much fuel did the Nav consume on that 1850 K's?

You're in luck because we kept detailed records.

From Fitzroy Crossing to Billiluna we used 72.4 litres for 463.8km ... that's 15.61 litres/100km. We filled up at Billiluna which is the last supply outpost.

We consumed 123 litres to travel 634 km from Billiluna to Well 33. That's 19.40 litres/100km
We consumed 188 litres to travel 984 km Well 33 to Wiluna. That's 19.21 litres/100km.

So a total of 311 litres to travel 1618 km Billiluna to Wiluna. That's 19.22 litres/100km. Those 820 dunes and the heavy load use lot's of diesel.

If I did it again now I'd probably do a bit better because I've since installed new injectors and it's definitely using a bit less fuel.

Last edited:
So a total of 311 litres to travel 1618 km Billiluna to Wiluna. That's 19.22 litres/100km. Those 820 dunes and the heavy load use lot's of diesel.

Wow. That is a little thirstier than I was calculating. (15~16 l/100) That is handy first handy relative info. Well side/tub type tray here was thinking of making a 240 odd liter tank that gravity feed into the main standard 80l tank. That's the biggest rectangular tank I can fabricate that will fit forward of rear wheel arches. Would have to carry a couple of 20l Jerrys to be on the safe side.

That would be the biggest single weight for me, I plan on going as absolutely as light as possible.

Many thanks Scott.

^ For anyone who knows some of the NSW legislation regarding the carriage of fuels in a vehicle, don't sweat. We may not be able to carry additional petrol so that the total amount of petrol exceeds 250L but that's because petrol is a different class of substance to diesel. There's no limit to diesel quantity (except for weight, you certainly couldn't carry 2,000 litres of it - about 1600kg without the weight of the tank!).

Just to make that clear: a petrol vehicle is not allowed to have more than 250L of petrol stored in it (in either tanks or cans or bladders or whatever). This restriction does not apply to diesel, so feel free to add up to the GVM of your vehicle if you need to (and don't forget to make the appropriate subtractions from GVM when towing large loads - figures are in your car's manual).

Personally, I have a Long Ranger tank added (total 150L in through the normal filling point) and on long hauls will carry 5x20L jerry cans (yellow) just so I can't tempt an errant HWP who isn't sure of the legislation but has an itchy ticket-writing finger.

Wow. That is a little thirstier than I was calculating. (15~16 l/100) That is handy first handy relative info. Well side/tub type tray here was thinking of making a 240 odd liter tank that gravity feed into the main standard 80l tank. That's the biggest rectangular tank I can fabricate that will fit forward of rear wheel arches. Would have to carry a couple of 20l Jerrys to be on the safe side.

That would be the biggest single weight for me, I plan on going as absolutely as light as possible.

Many thanks Scott.

If you're traveling from the north you don't really get out of the sand and dunes until around Well 12. That's a lot of kilometres in sand with about 15 psi in the tyres and heavy load so the rolling resistance is high. It's interesting that the three vehicles on the trip all used about the same. We had my D40, 120 Prado and 79 series Landcruiser single cab tray back.

Before I left a veteran of five CSR expeditions said to be safe budget 5km/litre or 20 litres/100km. I reckon most vehicles end up with a similar GVM and the energy comes from the fuel so they all consume the same amount of diesel.

Once we're allowed back the community at Well 33 will be operating again. The diesel is fine and it's good to support the service they provide. To show my commitment I also bought a plastic plate and ice cream in the the little general store! After spending about $400 on diesel I thought ... "what the heck!"

I left Well 33 with a full tank of 80 litres and 7 jerries = 220 litres. I think a 240 litre tank in the body, jerries, supplies and full tank to do the total distance may have you overloaded. You need a maximum of 200-220 litres if you avail yourself to the Well 33 supply stop. It's a welcome oasis in the desert and they have good quality accommodation if you want to stay a night in comfort ... or you can rent a room for an hour or two to have a shower and clean up.

If you watch the video again that Triton (2:33) had snapped in half and it was near new. I checked the compliance plate and it was built in mid 2018. I reckon it had about 20,000km to 30,000km on the clock. It was at Well 41 and had broken about four weeks before we came through. It was no doubt overloaded and possibly going a bit too fast. The sand often gets whooped out between the dunes and the 4wd's will start flexing up and down (pivoting in the middle) if you try to push too hard. Couple that with a full load and they can't cope. Really our Navara's, Tritons, DMAX's, Ranger's and Hiluxes are medium duty 4wd's. They will break if you go beyond their design limits for days on end. However if you take it easy you won't have any problems.

I have a weighbridge not far from me so I'm going to see what mine weighs. With the amount of gear we install like bullbars, towbars, bash plates, lights, second batteries, storage boxes, water tanks etc it adds up quickly.

Hope that information is helpful.

Last edited:
You've got about 600km to the community at Well 33 then another 1000km to Wiluna.
That first leg is not much longer than the Simpson, which I was using as a rough guide re mileage. A little over 500 kms across the French line I only used 75 litres of fuel (around 15 lts/100 kms). Were poor conditions too aparrently, a very dry year, with the track chopped up and temps in the 40's every day making the sand very soft.

I took a full tank with 4 x 20l containers. Finished with a full tank and one container with a small amount left in it.

Would require more supplies on the Canning though, so was thinking 175 lts on the first leg (full tank plus 5 x 20l containers) should be comfortable and work out requirements for second leg from that. I'm never using as much fuel as a 79 cruiser anywhere, if I do it's getting traded in lol.

Once we're allowed back the community at Well 33 will be operating again.

Hope so, though it's far from a certainty from what I hear. At least initially. I notice that tour operators are already advertising for next year though, so who knows.

Just to make that clear: a petrol vehicle is not allowed to have more than 250L of petrol stored in it (in either tanks or cans or bladders or whatever). This restriction does not apply to diesel, so feel free to add up to the GVM of your vehicle if you need to (and don't forget to make the appropriate subtractions from GVM when towing large loads - figures are in your car's manual).
No way I would take a petrol vehicle on a trip like that, for safety reasons. People do though.

Last edited:
^ Realistically I should have said between 75-80 l of fuel (15-16l/ 100kms), as those containers take more than 20l of fuel. The worst day where it was extra rough though, it took a solid 8 hrs driving to go 80 kms using a full 20l of fuel (around 25l/100 kms).

^ Realistically I should have said between 75-80 l of fuel (15-16l/ 100kms), as those containers take more than 20l of fuel. The worst day where it was extra rough though, it took a solid 8 hrs driving to go 80 kms using a full 20l of fuel (around 25l/100 kms).

I feel my fuel use on the CSR was more than typical for a D40 due to the load I was carrying and the injectors were on the way out. I had to carry all fuel and spares for the bike as well. Plus food, water and gear for two people. I reckon I was overloaded for sure.

I'll post the weight of my D40 once I've been over the weighbridge ... I think I'll get a surprise.

I'm considering doing the Simpson next year ... 4wd trip only this time.

We would probably all be surprised at the weight we carry on long trips. If it isn't necessary don't take it, no more than 2 people per vehicle and balance the load things should be ok. Also the closer to stock standard the better for trips like this IMO (with some lift for clearance).

Apart from necessities a lot of people also seem to overdo the accessories, which helps keep up with the Jones's but a lot of it they would be better off without. When you consider some people start with many or all of a steel bullbar, winch, awning , 1 or 2 extra batteries, sliders, underbody protection, heavy rear steel drawers, fridge slide, steel/alloy canopy, rooftop tent and so on...Throw in 1 or 2 extra spare wheels/tyres, then pack it for a big trip and it can get very unrealistic for a little diesel ute very quickly.

We would probably all be surprised at the weight we carry on long trips. If it isn't necessary don't take it, no more than 2 people per vehicle and balance the load things should be ok. Also the closer to stock standard the better for trips like this IMO (with some lift for clearance).

Apart from necessities a lot of people also seem to overdo the accessories, which helps keep up with the Jones's but a lot of it they would be better off without. When you consider some people start with many or all of a steel bullbar, winch, awning , 1 or 2 extra batteries, sliders, underbody protection, heavy rear steel drawers, fridge slide, steel/alloy canopy, rooftop tent and so on...Throw in 1 or 2 extra spare wheels/tyres, then pack it for a big trip and it can get very unrealistic for a little diesel ute very quickly.

I just put mine on the weighbridge: D40 Single Cab on Weighbridge ... Not Surprised with the Result

Yes just rolled my camper trailer. U bolts broke and axle came out putting the trailer on its side. Found 11 tins of beetroot and 15 cans of gas I didn't know I had. Then there's the old Army term - if you,ve got transport Take It.

Latest posts

Back