Quantcast

Canning Stock Route Closed Indefinitely.

The Navara Forum

Help Support The Navara Forum:

Horatius

Reaction score
No doubt anyone who cares will already be aware of this, but it looks unlikely to be open in 2021 either (from the advice of someone on the "track care" group). Unlikely to be opened until there is a Covid vaccine and the relevant communities have been vaccinated effectively. Fair enough and quite understandable I suppose. That's assuming an effective vaccine can be had, as viruses are well known for mutating, and it could end up like the "flu shot" where an updated one is required regularly.

So even when/if it does reopen, it might be some time before people are allowed into the half way community at Well 33 to fuel up. Which would mean either carrying enough fuel to go the 1850 kms from Wiluna to Halls Ck (or vice versa) or arranging for fuel drop off at well 23 (I think?). A strange new world we're living in.

Tappet

Reaction score
Pitty, been thinking of doing the Canning for some time. Now that I can't go overseas and do a couple or roads still on bucket list the Canning has been raised to the top of the list. None the less I would do so with doing the whole 1850K's with enough fuel aboard. I wont be stopping at any community for fuel For me it's all about the drive and to do so unsupported is all part challenge. From what i have heard and seen the canning is not that hard in itself but it's just unrelenting.

Scott52

Reaction score
Pitty, been thinking of doing the Canning for some time. Now that I can't go overseas and do a couple or roads still on bucket list the Canning has been raised to the top of the list. None the less I would do so with doing the whole 1850K's with enough fuel aboard. I wont be stopping at any community for fuel For me it's all about the drive and to do so unsupported is all part challenge. From what i have heard and seen the canning is not that hard in itself but it's just unrelenting.
Yes unrelenting is a good descriptor. I did it in August last year on my KTM530EXC enduro motorcycle with a friend driving my D40 Navara as support.

If you're going north to south note the bit from Halls Creek down to Billiluna is a formed unsealed road as is the last 28km into Wiluna. Once you get to Bililuna the true off road experience starts. Once permitted it's the last place for fuel and general supplies before heading into the unrelenting desert. You've got about 600km to the community at Well 33 then another 1000km to Wiluna. The sense of isolation is real. The vehicles average about 30kph ... the motorcycles about 45kph

If you enjoy sand and dunes then you'll love it. I had 14psi cold in the tyres (in the Navara) and it walked up the dunes like a camel. I ran 11 psi cold in the KTM. The sand has some clay so it's not as bad as beach sand. It was better in the morning when cool compared to the afternoons in the heat.

It was the last few hundred kilometres before Wiluna where the very rocky outcropping terrain caused some damage to the Navara. The driver hit a rock shelf and shoved the LH front wheel back 10mm! The lower control arm brackets were bent back and the stabiliser bar mount crushed. It cost me $1000 on a frame pulling rig to get it repaired. Even with the damage the trusty Navara kept going and got us home safely.

We made a short four minute highlights reel.

Last edited:

Latest posts