Can’t turn over crank to set timing

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newnav100

Reaction score
Ok so I’m in the process of removing the head on a 2008 d22 yd25, and I’ve removed everything around the head. I’m trying to rotate the crank clockwise to line up timing marks but it will only go about 90 degrees before locking up. It’s in neutral , I’ve removed all belts. The timing was right when it was running. I’m lost as to why I can’t rotate the crank anymore . It feels like a valve is meeting a piston. I don’t have the injectors out yet could they be causing the compression to be too high to rotate the engine?.

have you got the glow plugs out?
if not its going to be hard to turn over.
Yeah glow plugs out . It turns for half a rotation then the tensioner is coming down and it just locks up. I’ve got a big breaker bar on the crank but and it ain’t moving

nothing silly like left it in gear?
i take it you have not removed any timing gears or chain?

the other thing is injection pump. might have to loosen off the fuel line as its probably trying to compress the hell out of the fuel. ie let it leak fuel out a bit.

nothing silly like left it in gear?
i take it you have not removed any timing gears or chain?

the other thing is injection pump. might have to loosen off the fuel line as its probably trying to compress the hell out of the fuel. ie let it leak fuel out a bit.
It’s in neutral , all fuel lines are loose. Haven’t touched any timing gear. Was running fine before I started taking it apart .

It’s in neutral , all fuel lines are loose. Haven’t touched any timing gear. Was running fine before I started taking it apart .
Wierd shite, I'm betting something has fallen down into the timing drive gear.... Something stuck in a link or jammed in a gear/sprocket tooth????
Those things have more chains than the local gang banger too.... Don't those have two chains?

You've tried turning over both ways no doubt!

Got me buggered,,,,,, you do know where the 10mm socket is don't you ;) j.k j.k

All the glow plugs complete on removal??? A center core didn't drop out and fall into the pot?

Has to be something to do with the chains......? You'd think! Got me.... good luck!

Wierd shite, I'm betting something has fallen down into the timing drive gear.... Something stuck in a link or jammed in a gear/sprocket tooth????
Those things have more chains than the local gang banger too.... Don't those have two chains?

You've tried turning over both ways no doubt!

Got me buggered,,,,,, you do know where the 10mm socket is don't you ;) j.k j.k

All the glow plugs complete on removal??? A center core didn't drop out and fall into the pot?

Has to be something to do with the chains......? You'd think! Got me.... good luck!
Glow plugs were complete. I highly doubt I dropped anything but could be wrong. I turned it anti clockwise for maybe 90 degrees till I heard a valve spring clank. Wasn’t game to go any further. Is it possible to crank it anti clockwise without doing damage ?thanks for the help anyways

keep on dissmantling remove your head take front cover off and when you reassemble refer to instructions same as if engine has been completely dissmantled

you would have the timing cover off to set up the timming marks and then remove the sprockets to be able to remove overhead cams , you will be able to see any obstuctions. below shows setting up marks on all points, and LOCK GEARS in position then start removing cam sprockets no vioce just a bit od annoying music
Step by step on How to change Timing Chain kit in Nissan Navara D40 (YD25 Engine)

you would have the timing cover off to set up the timming marks and then remove the sprockets to be able to remove overhead cams , you will be able to see any obstuctions. below shows setting up marks on all points, and LOCK GEARS in position then start removing cam sprockets no vioce just a bit od annoying music
Step by step on How to change Timing Chain kit in Nissan Navara D40 (YD25 Engine)
thanks but was that a link? It’s not working if so

Glow plugs were complete. I highly doubt I dropped anything but could be wrong. I turned it anti clockwise for maybe 90 degrees till I heard a valve spring clank. Wasn’t game to go any further. Is it possible to crank it anti clockwise without doing damage ?thanks for the help anyways
Yes mate it is, its just that the chains will run slack but it will still turn over in reverse. Just go slow!..

Mate, if it was running before you started working on it id say theres more than a good chance the 10mm socket is playing tricks on you...

Last edited:
If you're in the process of removing the head, then have you removed the inlet and exhaust manifolds? If so, you could look inside. I have a USB inspection camera from Jaycar that has really served me well over the years. This should make it a lot easier.
Yup, got one in my tool box that uses my phone or tablet, it's just a cable with usb/c connections! Very easily packed away.. flea bay nor more than $20...

There are different types if cable too, I have two actually, one has a very stiff cable and the other is very soft and flexible...

I was thinking a bent stuck valve hitting a piston- but he wrote that it was running before he attacked it..soooo...

What else could stop it from turning over?? It's got me, it has to be the 10mm socket ;) if he is saying 90° that's what, not even half a stroke ! Am I right?? 1/4 of a stroke???

Weird! The mystery continues!

Ok gents, place your bets ;) it's the dreaded 10mm or one of his cousins "nut'n'bolt" playing tricks! J.k j.k newnav, don't you leave with out telling us either lol

But think about it, if it was running before you started it HAS to be something you've missed, no biggy, just retrace your steps.. post a picture of what stage you have the works at please! Is the timing cover off etc

Don't stress, if it's something you've done it will be an easy fix it's just that you can't see it yet... Tony has the right idea, buy a cable cam and have a look... I'm sure there's a small opening where you can get into the sump once the timing cover is removed also..

Turn it over again and watch the valves, see what chamber it's stopping at, that will give you more insight also...

Stay with us and we will get you through it, don't stress, WE ALL have issues working on motors lol god, the amount of skin and blood I've lost lol I now think my nav actually needs the blood and skin sacrifice to run!

All the best and keep in touch... I'm dying to know what it is.... plus I have money riding on the 10mm ;) j.k j.k ;)

Yup, got one in my tool box that uses my phone or tablet, it's just a cable with usb/c connections! Very easily packed away.. flea bay nor more than $20...

There are different types if cable too, I have two actually, one has a very stiff cable and the other is very soft and flexible...

I was thinking a bent stuck valve hitting a piston- but he wrote that it was running before he attacked it..soooo...

What else could stop it from turning over?? It's got me, it has to be the 10mm socket ;) if he is saying 90° that's what, not even half a stroke ! Am I right?? 1/4 of a stroke???

Weird! The mystery continues!

Ok gents, place your bets ;) it's the dreaded 10mm or one of his cousins "nut'n'bolt" playing tricks! J.k j.k newnav, don't you leave with out telling us either lol

But think about it, if it was running before you started it HAS to be something you've missed, no biggy, just retrace your steps.. post a picture of what stage you have the works at please! Is the timing cover off etc

Don't stress, if it's something you've done it will be an easy fix it's just that you can't see it yet... Tony has the right idea, buy a cable cam and have a look... I'm sure there's a small opening where you can get into the sump once the timing cover is removed also..

Turn it over again and watch the valves, see what chamber it's stopping at, that will give you more insight also...

Stay with us and we will get you through it, don't stress, WE ALL have issues working on motors lol god, the amount of skin and blood I've lost lol I now think my nav actually needs the blood and skin sacrifice to run!

All the best and keep in touch... I'm dying to know what it is.... plus I have money riding on the 10mm ;) j.k j.k ;)
I’ll be sure to let you all know, I haven’t been to look at it again yet as it’s not at my place and been working a lot . Thanks for all the help . I’m gonna just try turning it over in reverse and see if that lines up the marks but that camera is a good idea thanks.

Where are you bloke? If your close I'll come have a look for ya...

Me, I wouldn't be doing anything untill you work out why it won't turn over!

Have you taken off the timing cover yet? I'm not refering to the ROCKER COVER! The front cover for the timing chain etc!

You have the radiator out? Etc? Post a pick of what stage the motors at if you don't understand me...
I've got the tool box in the back of the Ute at all times and have cable cam's etc So yell out if you're stuck!

No, you can't align timing marks like that! Do not align the marks by turning it in reverse! It needs to turn the correct way to take up the slack in your timing chains! And don't forget there are two times the piston will be at t.d.c! Ones compression "the one you want" and the other is exhaust stroke!

What repair manual are you working from? Cheers

I’m just outside of Singleton . Yeah the top timing cover is off. I can see the tensioner coming down as I turn the crank. I’ve got a repair manual from eBay. It’s correct but just says turn crank over clockwise till timing marks line up , that’s it.

Attachments

• B4D096C0-228B-4B89-A1B5-977F556A8952.jpeg
    B4D096C0-228B-4B89-A1B5-977F556A8952.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 30
I’m just outside of Singleton . Yeah the top timing cover is off. I can see the tensioner coming down as I turn the crank. I’ve got a repair manual from eBay. It’s correct but just says turn crank over clockwise till timing marks line up , that’s it.
your not going to turn it over with the glows still in as per the pic.
also make sure you turn it clockwise, they don't always play nicely in reverse.

Latest posts

Back