Can’t turn over crank to set timing

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got hold of a inspection camera and from what I can tell it looks like the third valve from the front is hitting a piston , hard to see as the valves are kinda buried in the head. I guess I’m just gonna have to pull the head off as is and worry about lining the timing up when it’s ready to go back on

Took the plugs out after this photo and tried again, same thing
Oohhhhhh..... right, it could be a valve?.... ok, Mark chain and timing gear with paint pen or tie off with small cable ties and remove !

I've got a little to do on mine atm so I can't move... but you don't need me, your doing fine so far!

Appreciate the help!
No probs, just use a paint pen from chain to sprocket, use different colours for each sprocket... curious to see what it is eh

Are any of the rockers/tappets realy lose? If it has a bent valve and it's hitting the piston the valve will be open.. turn back and forth as much as you can and see if any tappets go realy lose/ lots of play/ movement...

I'll be Bathurst way soon if you hit a wall.. cheers

No probs, just use a paint pen from chain to sprocket, use different colours for each sprocket... curious to see what it is eh

Are any of the rockers/tappets realy lose? If it has a bent valve and it's hitting the piston the valve will be open.. turn back and forth as much as you can and see if any tappets go realy lose/ lots of play/ movement...

I'll be Bathurst way soon if you hit a wall.. cheers
Can’t see or feel any loose tappets . Used a camera and going by when it stops and the sound it makes is definitely in the head, I can see the 3rd valve fully open. Think I messed up when I first got the upper timing cover off for some stupid reason I put a spanner on the right side cam nut and turned it clockwise . This must have skipped the chain out of time. I can’t think of anything else as it was running fine and I didn’t see anything loose or extra in the upper or lower timing assembly or the valves . Bathurst is a bit of a hike but I thank you for the help once again.

Can’t see or feel any loose tappets . Used a camera and going by when it stops and the sound it makes is definitely in the head, I can see the 3rd valve fully open. Think I messed up when I first got the upper timing cover off for some stupid reason I put a spanner on the right side cam nut and turned it clockwise . This must have skipped the chain out of time. I can’t think of anything else as it was running fine and I didn’t see anything loose or extra in the upper or lower timing assembly or the valves . Bathurst is a bit of a hike but I thank you for the help once again.
DO NOT Turn A Motor Over By the cams ! MAN ;) you're lucky you didn't snap a cam! A little bit of wee came out when I read that ;)

Down load the manual off here and READ READ READ ... It's all there my man and it's alllll step by step..

Go buy the right size socket for the harmonic balancer nut! Slack arse lol

I've got friends in Coonabarabran that I was thinking of heading too after Baturst and Orange, and your on the Hunter River soooo you have that in your favour lol shite, I could have grabbed Tony on the way ;)

Don't stress, once you start reading the manual and bouncing your questions off people here you'll be fiiiiine!

It's the aligning of all the marks on re fit that's the concern! Take your time, check everything three times and youlll beee fiiine...

" just the other day I left a square of paper towel in the inlet "before the turbo" when I was cleaning the air filter. Blocked it off whilst I gave her an oil change"!

Yup, fired her to idle, just to prime the oil filter, cut it, walked around the other side and it hit me!
Shite, I know what WAS there! Stuck the fingers down the inlet and there it was!

The way I'd shuved it in there it had hit the very center of the prop and didn't get sucked in... man I died for a second, wee'n'poo i tell you.... if I had of given it a rev I'd be crying today ;)
We alllllll make them bloke,,don't stress!

Last edited:
DO NOT Turn A Motor Over By the cams ! MAN ;) you're lucky you didn't snap a cam! A little bit of wee came out when I read that ;)

Down load the manual off here and READ READ READ ... It's all there my man and it's alllll step by step..

Go buy the right size socket for the harmonic balancer nut! Slack arse lol
Yeah yeah I know. I’ve got plenty of tools that’s not the problem. I’ve also got a manual for it. I’ve also done many head gasket jobs in the past, I just got done a few months back doing both gaskets on my Subaru. I don’t know what possessed me besides a Brain fart we all have at times . So you think I could have thrown the timing out that much?

Oh cool... good to know you have a good tool box eh what possessed you to leaver on the cams, Mannn.. ;)

Hmm, I can't see it bloke, that chain would have to be hanging there, BUT, it may have from turning it in reverse as the chain would slacken.. Doubtful, but maybe! What do your sprockets look like? Worn? I mean grandpa's mouth worn! It may have...

Yup, paint pen or cable tie the chain to the sprockets and remove... oh, and always get a second opinion!

But if an update . Got the head off. No visible cracks. Gasket looks like shit. Rang a place that does pressure testing and they told me that it’s not worth the money because 90% of the time the heads are stuffed and most people replace them! I’m ringing around trying to get a second opinion but very few people do them on turbo diesels around here.

But if an update . Got the head off. No visible cracks. Gasket looks like shit. Rang a place that does pressure testing and they told me that it’s not worth the money because 90% of the time the heads are stuffed and most people replace them! I’m ringing around trying to get a second opinion but very few people do them on turbo diesels around here.

Attachments

• 1D1B51C8-0470-4B5C-AF51-7E8A9E89C045.jpeg
    1D1B51C8-0470-4B5C-AF51-7E8A9E89C045.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
  • 7655EBBE-089E-42FE-A123-800195CFFEA0.jpeg
    7655EBBE-089E-42FE-A123-800195CFFEA0.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
  • 7DEF5C28-C1C9-4973-A97D-C8FBE0BC5BA7.jpeg
    7DEF5C28-C1C9-4973-A97D-C8FBE0BC5BA7.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 13
Does anyone have any suggestions on buying a new head? The eBay ones all say Australian made and are only a couple hundred cheaper then from a machining shop. Which way would you all go. Can’t even find a genuine one not that I would.

Also if as all the mechanics I have contacted told me that there’s no point getting turbo diesel heads pressure tested and better off replacing them , what causes the heads to warp or crack in the first place? Do the gaskets ware out and the heads are immediately rooted? I’ve had gaskets go many times on petrol motors and a quick resurface and good to go . Is it the way higher pressure these heads are under?

Does anyone have any suggestions on buying a new head? The eBay ones all say Australian made and are only a couple hundred cheaper then from a machining shop. Which way would you all go. Can’t even find a genuine one not that I would.
Both Partsouq and Amayama sell genuine heads, with and with out cams and valvetrain...

The pressure inside a diesel engine is considerably higher. Our little diesels run around the 15:1 (a little over, but under 16:1). That's still pretty strenuous. A cracked head could even be repaired by chucking in some Goss Chem Weld - but you get no guarantee that it will last (it's just filling the crack with glass). I have had people tell me that they've done it and it's been good for many thousands of km.

But that's not what I did. I opted for a new head. We got one out of Camberwell Vic, I could get you the eBay seller's name once my wife joins us for the day (it's her day to sleep in). Our head was dispatched promptly. It came with camshafts, valves, everything set up and adjusted ready to install. The mechanic put it on, placed the cam gears on the front and away it went. The kit was missing a turbocharger gasket and I think one other gasket, as well as some exhaust studs, but the mechanic sourced these elsewhere.

Am I happy?

Yes. The mechanic - Inwood Motors in Bathurst NSW - did a fine job. I had to use the freshly repaired Navara to tow my caravan home from Bathurst (just short of 400km). It performed flawlessly. In fact, it's cooling just a little better than usual. Performance is no different to before, noise levels are the same. It's difficult to tell that the job was done (except that I have the old head in a box downstairs).

This is the one that we bought (from this seller). We had absolutely no dramas with them. It might be a Chinese copy, we don't know, what we DO know is that it was the correct part for the car, they verified that it would fit based on the model specifics. The mechanic said they were correct.

Yours is a D22, you should contact the seller and give them your specific engine details and see if they have anything that matches.

The pressure inside a diesel engine is considerably higher. Our little diesels run around the 15:1 (a little over, but under 16:1). That's still pretty strenuous. A cracked head could even be repaired by chucking in some Goss Chem Weld - but you get no guarantee that it will last (it's just filling the crack with glass). I have had people tell me that they've done it and it's been good for many thousands of km.

But that's not what I did. I opted for a new head. We got one out of Camberwell Vic, I could get you the eBay seller's name once my wife joins us for the day (it's her day to sleep in). Our head was dispatched promptly. It came with camshafts, valves, everything set up and adjusted ready to install. The mechanic put it on, placed the cam gears on the front and away it went. The kit was missing a turbocharger gasket and I think one other gasket, as well as some exhaust studs, but the mechanic sourced these elsewhere.

Am I happy?

Yes. The mechanic - Inwood Motors in Bathurst NSW - did a fine job. I had to use the freshly repaired Navara to tow my caravan home from Bathurst (just short of 400km). It performed flawlessly. In fact, it's cooling just a little better than usual. Performance is no different to before, noise levels are the same. It's difficult to tell that the job was done (except that I have the old head in a box downstairs).

This is the one that we bought (from this seller). We had absolutely no dramas with them. It might be a Chinese copy, we don't know, what we DO know is that it was the correct part for the car, they verified that it would fit based on the model specifics. The mechanic said they were correct.

Yours is a D22, you should contact the seller and give them your specific engine details and see if they have anything that matches.
Thanks yeah looks like the same seller I was looking at. I’ve messaged them several times asking about the warranty , it says 5 years . Did yours come with a warranty ? What were the conditions if it did cause I can’t get a straight answer

Latest posts

Back