Buying an early D23

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GunMentalGrey

Reaction score
I’m looking to upgrade my 07 D40. D23 is on the list, but budget is around the ‘15-17 models. I’ve seen a few reviews etc but thought I’d ask personal experience, especially for the manual models. I just want a manual despite it not being ‘better’.

Anything to look for? Problems? Little nightly design features that bug you? Things that are good?

Will mostly be used around town near empty but will go off road semi regularly including beach and bush. Also will tow a 2.5t van from time to time and need to fit 5 full sized people for MTB treks.

Thanks in advance. Im also considering a Dmax or BT50. Have ruled out a hilux or triton due to poor rear seating.

Test drove a 2017 D23 manual ST today. Power delivery was underwhelming. Felt very sluggish compared to the D40. The drivers seat position was a little weird too. Back seat was pretty roomy.

which version did you drive?
the early ones have a single turbo and dual turbo versions. stick to the dual turbo models.

which version did you drive?
the early ones have a single turbo and dual turbo versions. stick to the dual turbo models.
Pretty sure it was a single turbo. Being in the used market, I’ll have to take what I can get, so if one is available I’ll test a twin turbo.

Edit: the carsales ad says it was a twin turbo, but as it tends to auto populate I’m not so sure.

Last edited:
Maybe it was just he way I drove it. Hopped in a ‘21 Dmax today and the power was there, but it took a lot of right pedal travel to make it want to go. Like the throttle was tuned for economy so you really have to mean it to get stuck in.

Shortly after, I hopped back in the D40 and there was a much more responsive pedal. Push it a bit, get some power. Push it a lot, get black smoke and lots of torque.

one thing i don't like with ecu controlled diesels is the throttle controller.
zd30 D22's have a nasty 90% power at 50% throttle setup which can be dangerous at times.
i drove a mitsi once and that drove me nuts (and dangerous) as it has very little throttle response in the low throttle range. your really have to move that throttle driving up small slopes. you put in part throttle and it does nothing, you crawl through that intersection like its at idle.

Thanks for the responses. ‘Unfortunately’ I’ve gone and purchased the D-MAX so will shortly be selling the D40. Our R51 is on the way out too if it’s replacement ever gets built. It’s been ordered but deliver keeps getting pushed back, as late as March now despite ordering in late January.

Thanks for the responses. ‘Unfortunately’ I’ve gone and purchased the D-MAX so will shortly be selling the D40. Our R51 is on the way out too if it’s replacement ever gets built. It’s been ordered but deliver keeps getting pushed back, as late as March now despite ordering in late January.
getting any vehicle is difficult at the moment. huge back log of orders.

we have a new dmax at work and its fairly decent. guys like that it will drop down gears (auto) on the decents, its a bit more truck like.

Latest posts

Back