Brake Lights on when parked up

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldie

Reaction score
I'm full of dumb questions these days so here's another one.
For about 5 months now, after being parked up for about 4 to 5 hours, the brake lights come on. I've screwed the brake light switch in a bit but the brake lights keep coming on.
What I was doing was stab the brake pedal and lights would go off. It has just happened again but I tried lifting the brake pedal this time and the brake pedal has dropped a few mil and it's activating the switch.
What would cause the brake pedal to drop ?
Cheers

^ Age, worked on my dangly bits too.

Wait ...

Actually, it could be. Check the pivot point for the brake pedal in case it's worn. Unfortunately requires a significant amount of contortionist training, or a desire for inflicting pain on yourself.

Trouble is, why does it wait 4 to 5 hours before activating the brake lights? I can't think of any process that might be running in the car's ECU or BCM that waits that length of time for anything. In my D40 the air doors in the air conditioning ducts activate within 10 minutes of the car shutting down. There's simply nothing that I know of that runs 4 to 5 hours after shutdown.

So this morning I turn my self into a pretzel and have a good look at the brake pedal. At my age, my back now hurts and I'm in a cranky mood hahaha
There is no side ways movement in the pedal but there is the 0 to 5 mil movement in the up and down. I thought there would have been a return spring but there isn't.
So I did a quick fix, 19mm round stick on furniture leg gizmos's from bunnings to fill the gap. I could have wound in the switch again but I'll wait.
So far so good but it still doesn't explain why the pedal dropped. There has to be a reason but it's got me stuffed.

I'm full of dumb questions these days so here's another one.
For about 5 months now, after being parked up for about 4 to 5 hours, the brake lights come on. I've screwed the brake light switch in a bit but the brake lights keep coming on.
What I was doing was stab the brake pedal and lights would go off. It has just happened again but I tried lifting the brake pedal this time and the brake pedal has dropped a few mil and it's activating the switch.
What would cause the brake pedal to drop ?
Cheers
On top of the brake pedal there is a little grommet. Blue green colour. About $15 from Nissan. These decompose over time and fall on the floor. If the brake pedal comes up far enough “lights on”. Easy to replace. Don’t try to push it in. Place it in the hole and pull the pedal up. A bit of lube helps. My mother was a human catortionist she died in her own arms. Hope this helps.

I put a nut and bolt up to the switch then a nut on the other side of the hole in the peddle that the switch would poke through.

Latest posts

Back