box go bang

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^ If you have the time, can you grab pics of the trans and bolting pattern and throw it in the D21 bible.

Which I have to stick that to.

Yeah, no worries. Was planning to do that when I had the two of them out side by side, but that date seems to be a long time coming ...

the z24 box is in vl commodores i think. stuck on an rb30. there's a lot of them around. i think patrols use the r30a, but i'm not sure. i found this thread because i'm trying to find other buyers. if the info helps a guy offered me 350 for my fs5w71c so the mark up would be massive i'm sure. 1500 seems to be the going rate for a reco.

rb30 and z24 (and KA24) share the same bellhousing bolt pattern as far as I can find.
I was told $800 from the wreckers for a non-reco gearbox, if they ever got one in which was rare.

Hi Guys,

Does the the FS5W71C have the same gear ratios across the board? Ie for td27/Sd25 and Ka 24?

Is the 4wd transfer the same from the 4cylinder d21's to the 6cylinder Vg's?

Are the mounting points the same for the 4cylinder gearbox and 4wd box from the d21's to the 6cylinder Vg's?

Christian

Does the the FS5W71C have the same gear ratios across the board? Ie for td27/Sd25 and Ka 24?

4x4 and 4x2 are different but for a given year, the ratios are the same between diesel and petrol.

Is the 4wd transfer the same from the 4cylinder d21's to the 6cylinder Vg's?

No D21 4x4 VGs were ever made. The VG33E in 4x4 came in the D22, this does use a TX10A the same as the four cylinder models, but the front flange pattern is different.

Are the mounting points the same for the 4cylinder gearbox and 4wd box from the d21's to the 6cylinder Vg's?

See above. 35mm difference on the gearbox mount (FS5R30A is a longer box)

The D22 series 1 ran the VG30E in the 4wd model.

Series 2 and on the VG30E was only a 2wd engine as the VG33E was the new 4wd petrol engine.

Hey guys, does anyone know if the VG33E 4WD gearbox will bolt up to a VG30E ??

I've recently bought a VG30E from 1986ish Z31 300ZX and wanted to drop it into my D21 thats currently got a Z24 and 4x4 FS5W71C 5sp gearbox.

I've been told I shouldn't try and run the VG30E in front of the standard W71C because it will break it in no time, although I'm a bit confused because I've also rear that the stock Z31 300ZX and a VL Commodore RB30E gearbox is a W71C as well. And I'm thinking if the box survives behind both of those 3 litre engines, it should survive when fitted up to the VG30E whilst in my D21. I understand the D21 is a heaver vehicle, so the box will cop more wear and tear because of this, but thought that if it's not having the clutch dropped continuously, it should be alright. What do u guys think?

I've been told to run a V6 box or else it won't last, but I'm struggling to find a 4WD VG30 g'box, so thought a VG33 box might bolt up.

Cheers

Dont forget the extra load on the gearbox in the 4wd's.

Ie, bigger tyres, heavier, especially loaded with a tonne on the back.

The VG33E gearbox would bolt up to the VG30E D22 or R50 Pathfinder engine.

Not sure about the Z31 engine.

SR20's had different blocks depending on the model it was fitted to.

Ie, U13 Bluebird Attessa's, N14 GTIR's had the same bellhousing pattern. RWD SR20's are different so I hear.

Who knows with Nissan.

+1 with what Dave said - torque is what kills these boxes and it's not uncommon for D21s to tow two or three tonnes (slowly), have a tonne on the back, and do it all in fifth uphill with a headwind, which is where you're putting every last bit of torque the engine has through the gearbox and onto the road.

The way to work it out is to download the 300zx Nissan workshop manual, go to the MT - Installation section and look at the bellhousing flange pattern. Then do the same with the D22, and if you have a match then it's worth a try. You still might have issues with the clutch and shafts, but that'll have to be trial and error.

Latest posts

Back