Blowing blue smoke.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimmyT.

Reaction score
Hi my 2009 stx d40 is blowing heaps of blue smoke, have catch can in line , after can filter is clean it lasts about 2 days, take car for long drive for about 1 hour and it clears for about 2 days again then gets really bad again .

I would start by checking your oil level.. has it recently been serviced?overfilled with oil happens all too offen. Id then be going to the intercooler. Having a catch is all well and good but is it working as efficiently as your hoping? Or even how long had it been on?
Start by checking all the piping for signs of oil spray. Oil gets into these and heads for the intercooler where its cooled and settles. It then makes the rubber seals a bit slipery and they can leak air.. i recently swaped out the hose clamps for new ones as they didnt want to stay tight..
  1. Pull out the grill
  2. Undo the intercooler hose clamps
  3. Unscrew the two bolts holding the cooler in but just watch you dont lose the two rubber feet it sits on.
  4. Intercooler will wriggle free - being careful again not to damage the boost sensor - sat engine side of the cooler on the driver side
  5. Outside and with some cheap petrol - cover entry to cooler with your hand and pour petrol in the exit - now cover exit and tip it over, letting petrol run thru
  6. release hand thats highest to release pressure and repeat a couple times..
  7. pour out the oil soaked petrol and repeat until it comes out the same as it goes in.
  8. wouldnt hurt to remove the pipework and give this a tidyup
  9. reinstall in reverse order
At the same time I would be checking the air filter - checking the box to make sure its sealed and there isnt any major airflow obstructions
Pull out the maf sensor and give it a spray clean ONLY with mafsensorcleanerspray
also a can of liquimoly fuel system cleaner and conditioner dumped in the fuel tank wouldnt ever go unnoticed

Latest posts

Back