Blow Black Smoke (Navara Black Smoke)

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pretty crap video, tho a few good points.
main reason for smoke, like in aussie, is crap fuel.
same issue we had here until they made smoking diesels illegal and fuel companies changed the fuel.

pretty crap video, tho a few good points.
main reason for smoke, like in aussie, is crap fuel.
same issue we had here until they made smoking diesels illegal and fuel companies changed the fuel.
That is interesting Tweake. I usually get the Caltex ultimate diesel(I think that is what it's called).
I believe it is regular diesel with a cleaning additive?
Is there more to "better diesel" than that?

That is interesting Tweake. I usually get the Caltex ultimate diesel(I think that is what it's called).
I believe it is regular diesel with a cleaning additive?
Is there more to "better diesel" than that?
Hi Guys, I add 'Fuel Doctor' to my diesel and it really does work. i get it at Supercheap when it is on special [usually half price]. Before a trip or a run down the freeway i add 400mm just before filling up and 100mm every other tank. better klms and a more responsive engine. cleans everything and breaks down sludge in the tank and no smoke. I have a 2011 D40

Thanks Billy54. Mine smokes badly on heavy acceleration but otherwise seems ok. I did get some dirty fuel a while back but changed the filter a couple of times and that helped quite a lot but your idea may be even better to clean the tank of whatever is left. Cheers.

Thanks Billy54. Mine smokes badly on heavy acceleration but otherwise seems ok. I did get some dirty fuel a while back but changed the filter a couple of times and that helped quite a lot but your idea may be even better to clean the tank of whatever is left. Cheers.
yeah / my 2010 d22 2.5 is exactly the same /// mine has over 400,000 klms though , although nearly everything has been replaced and the mechanic has also just put the egr back on after 180,000klms without it

Probably the biggest factor with these engines black smoking is the injectors. They do have a very high flow rate. I have read probably the highest flow of all diesel engines in this category. The AFR part in the video doesn't seem right as all diesel engines have quite a huge range in AFR depending on load and speed. Turbo Diesels run from about 15:1 up to 100:1 AFR. Diesel engines don't work like petrols where you can't go to much either side of 14.7:1

Earlier D40 engines with the vacuum operated variable vane controller seem a little worse. I guess they don't respond as fast. Mine is a little smokie if giving it a bootfull from low RPM but once revs are up, say 2000 rpm you can floor it with no real visual smoke. It's like engine fuels for said throttle input- smoke - then once the boost arrives. No smoke. Your driving style can reduce smoke.

As tweak'e for mentioned the crap fuel we use here is no help. I have notice in Europe while refuelling if you hold nozzle out a little and look at the fuel it looks far more refined, not as oily, not as smelly to.

Earlier D40 engines with the vacuum operated variable vane controller seem a little worse. I guess they don't respond as fast.
exactly. less precise as well. that causes a few issues with amount of egr flow which in turn effects soot production.

Latest posts

Back