Black smoke

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zebbadenz

Reaction score
Hi, I just got a d40, and I got a problem! When I push any power to the engine I'm getting black smoke, I initially found a hole in the plastic of the intercooler where it was knocked and I have patched it up while I wait for a new one but annoyingly that hasn't solved it.

I read on this thread Turbo noise. that a solution was that the front exhaust flex section was leaking and that is an advisory in the mot. So I am hopeful that is it.

Does anyone have any other suggestions of things to look for. I have done the intercooler pipe check for glitter and don't see any. There is some oil in there tho. It didn't pour out but it is nicely coated.

Also there is this electrical socket that is empty and I wondered if it was supposed to be? Or if it indicated a mod? Pic attached. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_20220502_093002.jpg
    IMG_20220502_093002.jpg
    933.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20220430_161108.jpg
    IMG_20220430_161108.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
  • 16514871400813397675735178252125.jpg
    16514871400813397675735178252125.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 30
Welcome to the forum.

Some black smoke is normal under moderate or harder acceleration. That oil in the pipe is also normal. The hole in the intercooler isn't, good find - that would have been a constant source of boost loss.

It's when things like the MAFS sensor gets dirty, or the EGR valve lets in too much exhaust gas, that things start to get messy.

Two things to try:

1) Blank off the EGR. It took me an hour with a piece of 1mm scrap stainless steel and some hand tools. I copied the gasket from between the gold-coloured EGR pipe and the EGR valve, made the two bolt holes but didn't make the large central hole. Put some gasket cement on, installed, haven't looked back.

2) Clean the MAFS. This is a sensitive measuring device that checks both air flow rates and air temperature (because both are important). This device sits in the back of the air tube just out of the air filter box. Remove it, but do not EVER stick anything in the small hole you see facing the incoming air stream. It's really sensitive. Use either electrical contact cleaner spray or MAFS cleaner spray (they're the same thing, different cans, different labels, different price depending on where from). Spray it in the hole, watch the black stuff pour out, repeat until it runs clear. Reinstall and see how it goes.

Obviously things like air filter cleanliness go without saying, but a little fouling on the injectors could do it too - you might consider either a run with Diesel Purge (really, really fast clean) or a tankful of fuel with a can of Fuel System Treatment in it.

Cool, thanks!

Air filter is nearly new, so no worries there. I'll clean the maf!

I just noticed another problem, the oil level is high, really high! No obvious signs of coolant or diesel in there.

Attachments

• IMG_20220502_120740.jpg
    IMG_20220502_120740.jpg
    1,008.8 KB · Views: 24
That's really worth paying a lot of attention to, the D40 doesn't like being overfilled. Bring the oil level to normal, note the temperature of the oil (roughly). Drive the car for a few days, get the oil to a similar temperature and check it again. If it's risen, you might have to check the injector lines and seals out.

Cool, thanks!

Air filter is nearly new, so no worries there. I'll clean the maf!

I just noticed another problem, the oil level is high, really high! No obvious signs of coolant or diesel in there.
wow thats high oil. i'm surprised the engine is not running on, kicking and bucking like a wild horse.
that will most certainly cause lots of black smoke and start clogging up the cat (if one is still fitted).
drain it asap !

also check the front diff oil. i kid you not, there has been cases where they have drained the diff oil and the engine gets double the amount of oil.
ie got the diff mixed up with the sump, didn't notice the oil smells a whole lot different and never checked engine oil level.

what the others say, but in my case blowing heaps of black smoke, the turbo had failed and in turn over fueling dumping unburnt diesel into the engine in turn rising my oil level with unburnt diesel.

OK, thanks for the advice! Yeah it kind if freaked me out!

Is it worth a dpf cleaning service once I've got the new intercooler on?

what the others say, but in my case blowing heaps of black smoke, the turbo had failed and in turn over fueling dumping unburnt diesel into the engine in turn rising my oil level with unburnt diesel.
thats a rarity. over fueling usually doesn't lead to fuel wash. leaking injectors can tho.
the turbo is usually the first thing to fail when you have diesel in the oil.

So... Took it into garage, did oil change and checked errors, 2 for intercooler 1 for MAF and 1 for turbo. I mentioned the diff oil and he said he would check, but he wasn't there when I picked it up so not 100% he checked it.

Anyways I know he did oil change and said it was at the right level, said drive for a bit with new intercooler and bring back to check for codes.

I just fitted the intercooler and cleaned the MAF and thought I would check oil again, it is back up really high, Like immediately, I drove about 1km from the garage and that's it, not above 2k rpm cos its only down the road and I wanted to put intercooler in first...

Also it looks black, not like new oil, so maybe it is just excess in the dip stick hole? I can't imagine it doubled in 1km?!

There may be a serious issue with the engine and you really want to make sure it's not, before taking the car on a drive again.

If the mechanic checked the oil level and declared it correct, then he must have checked the dipstick as he was filling the sump.

If after such a short drive the sump has been filled to excess, it must be diesel fuel entering the sump rapidly - and that could easily spell doom for the engine if it starts exiting the PCV and feeding back into the intake manifold. The source of this really does need to be investigated.

Diesel oil "blackness" is normal. Mine turns dark fairly quickly after an oil change.

So... Took it into garage, did oil change and checked errors, 2 for intercooler 1 for MAF and 1 for turbo.
try to get the actual codes or pull up the codes yourself.
there is no such thing as codes for the intercooler.

Cool, thanks, taking it into the garage this morning for a good look around!

What could be the source of that much fuel in there that quickly do you think? I've read a couple posts about fuel pump seals?

Ok, so on further inspection I figured that the dipstick is dragging oil up the pipe, when I clean it of 4 or 5 times in a row it eventually gives me a reading at the high mark.

Mech came to the same conclusion without me telling him that's what I had (cos I forgot) but he drove it around, up and down the dual carriageway. He said it smoked for a bit then cleared and ran fine, no codes with the new intercooler on.

HOWEVER... He also noticed the turbo was whining on spool up and down and sounded like a siren in the cab. I haven't got it back yet to try.

I rang the dealer to ask for him to send a turbo but he is keen for me to check for leaks first. He said the exhaust side can get loose and sound like that. I trust the mech as he wasn't expecting to be able to do the work for me as I'm supposed to be leaving. And he said he would have a look, but thought I would ask here as well. Most threads I have read end up with a new turbo!

Also I checked this thread previously which looks very similar Turbo noise. and as stated in my 1st post the flex part of the exhaust has a hole advisory on the mot. And I got a new part on order so gonna check that first! fingers crossed!

If it's the gold tube that runs around the front - that's the EGR tube, feeding exhaust gas to the intake manifold.

The dealer is correct - there are times when it's not the turbo, it's just the gasket in the exhaust manifold->turbocharger interface. My own went, started fluttering like a reed and sounded like a poorly played clarinet. It's actually easy to spot - look for the black sooty emissions.

Updates... So I have done a big drive in the truck now, 600km. It is still whining even at low revs, and takes a second or two to die down when you let up.

I also noticed that at speed when I let off the gas there is a kind of rattle like noise coming from turbo side if the hood. Its like when a skateboard bearing is nearly gone and you try to spin the wheel and it only spins a bit.

I had a good look for leaks and found this one... Image attached... Where what I think (and hope) is the turbo oil drain pipe meets the engine. Is that bad news?

Also when I put my foot down in third yesterday to see how well the turbo pulls it didn't feel like any boost at all, it just revved up and poured some smoke. Black from what I could see in the mirror.

The dealer wants me to put a new solenoid in before shelling out on a turbo

Attachments

• IMG_20220507_170529.jpg
    IMG_20220507_170529.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20220507_170634.jpg
    IMG_20220507_170634.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20220507_165904.jpg
    IMG_20220507_165904.jpg
    971 KB · Views: 20
That oil on the side of the motor is an issue. The pipe should be a tight fit on the side of the motor, so that oil being thrashed around inside can't get splashed out. Is the oil coming from where the pipe joins onto the engine, or is it tricking down from above?

Hi, I just got a d40, and I got a problem! When I push any power to the engine I'm getting black smoke, I initially found a hole in the plastic of the intercooler where it was knocked and I have patched it up while I wait for a new one but annoyingly that hasn't solved it.

I read on this thread Turbo noise. that a solution was that the front exhaust flex section was leaking and that is an advisory in the mot. So I am hopeful that is it.

Does anyone have any other suggestions of things to look for. I have done the intercooler pipe check for glitter and don't see any. There is some oil in there tho. It didn't pour out but it is nicely coated.

Also there is this electrical socket that is empty and I wondered if it was supposed to be? Or if it indicated a mod? Pic attached. Thank you!
IF IT LACKS POWER AS WELL WHEN SMOKING IT COULD BE EGR . BLOCK AND TRY SE IF FIXES

Latest posts

Back