Black smoke and globby oil

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vornosd22

Reaction score
Hi seeking some advice on my D22 yd25 . Been blowing loads of black smoke and the oil becomes a thick paste in only 5000kms . Been running injector cleaner through it, did a egr system clean and replaced the intercooler to no avail. Mechanic is a bit stumped but basically thinks the engine is close to the end . Any help would be greatly appreciated . Cheers vaughan

which version of the yd25 do you have? common rail?

common problem is failing to reset ecu after fuel filter change. otherwise i suspect the MAF sensor.
when did it start doing it?

You don't indicate how many km the engine has done, which would help. An engine that has seen 400,000km+ might need some attention on its rings (I say that, because at 355,000km my own YD25 has no issues). What colour is the oil, is it completely black? How much blow-by do you have at idle? What's the pipework between the turbo and the intercooler look like on the inside, is it super-oily?

Yes K's on the engine will help in diagnosis. Yd 25's are notoriously sooty engines. Injector flow rates, particularly on D40's are high, more so than any other CRD engine. The pasty/ goopy oil is a bit weird. If it was over fueling I would of thought there would be a fair bit of dilution. Perhaps thinner watery like oil. I'm just guessing but I would be leaning towards to much Exhaust Gas Recirc. You could block it but it is illegal. It's an easy thing to do but I would start with the easy things first.

Hi seeking some advice on my D22 yd25 . Been blowing loads of black smoke and the oil becomes a thick paste in only 5000kms . Been running injector cleaner through it, did a egr system clean and replaced the intercooler to no avail. Mechanic is a bit stumped but basically thinks the engine is close to the end . Any help would be greatly appreciated . Cheers vaughan
Black exhaust smoke simply means that your engine is burning too much fuel. Engines need both fuel to burn and oxygen to burn it with. If there's too much fuel in the combustion chamber and not enough oxygen to burn it with, it can cause black smoke to come from your exhaust.26 July 2017
https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/exhaust-smoke-colorexessive soot causes oil to thicken

thanks for your reply /info . yeah the common rail 2.5 litre with turbo ,. Its got about 328000 on the clock. cleaned the MAF, had this car for about a year and a half and ive noticed the black smoke for a least a year but most likely was doing it before that. I've tried resetting the ecu this morning and now check engine light is on prob a good thing.

common problem is failing to reset ecu after fuel filter change. otherwise i suspect the MAF sensor.

thanks for your reply /info . yeah the common rail 2.5 litre with turbo ,. Its got about 328000 on the clock. cleaned the MAF, had this car for about a year and a half and ive noticed the black smoke for a least a year but most likely was doing it before that. I've tried resetting the ecu this morning and now check engine light is on prob a good thing.
Black exhaust smoke simply means that your engine is burning too much fuel. Engines need both fuel to burn and oxygen to burn it with. If there's too much fuel in the combustion chamber and not enough oxygen to burn it with, it can cause black smoke to come from your exhaust.26 July 2017
https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/exhaust-smoke-colorexessive soot causes oil to thicken
So either too much fuel or not enough air
Yes K's on the engine will help in diagnosis. Yd 25's are notoriously sooty engines. Injector flow rates, particularly on D40's are high, more so than any other CRD engine. The pasty/ goopy oil is a bit weird. If it was over fueling I would of thought there would be a fair bit of dilution. Perhaps thinner watery like oil. I'm just guessing but I would be leaning towards to much Exhaust Gas Recirc. You could block it but it is illegal. It's an easy thing to do but I would start with the easy things first.
328000 ks on the engine its a D22, have been thinking that the injectors might be kaput but with goopy oil thinking the engine whole might be near done , so reluctant to spend the $2500 getting them replaced. Pretty sure the EGR was already blocked when i bought it

Soot in the sump is caused by blow-by - this is why all of our diesels have oil that starts to discolour within minutes of an oil change. If you're overfuelling badly, this will be dramatically worse. It has other potential consequences - like diesel run-on (blow-by pumps enough oil out of the PCV into the intake which is combusted causing more blow-by). Diesel run-on is an uncontrolled failure that without proper intervention will cause the destruction of the engine (you stop it by either disconnecting the PCV - difficult - or blocking the air intake with an object other than your hand!).

So let's look at the overfuelling. This is either too much fuel or not enough air (it means the same). The ECU meters the fuel out based on the sensor readings (air, fuel), engine load, engine RPM, throttle position and engine coolant temperature. A fault in any of these could cause it. An underperforming turbocharger could also do it - and this could be caused by a failing turbo, a boost leak in the charge air path (the piping between the turbo, intercooler and intake manifold) or a blocked intercooler.

So, the free things to do:

* clean the electrical connections (including both battery terminals)
* clean the intercooler
* check the turbocharger (wiggle the shaft, check for smooth rotation)

Some low-cost things to do:

* put a bottle of Liqui Moly Fuel System Treatment in the tank and drive it.
* get electrical contact cleaner and go over the electricals again, remove sensors and clean
* install a catch can

I'd start there. Naturally if you notice the turbocharger's shaft is wobbling like mad, then it's a no-brainer - you need another. There's a good chance that a wreck won't have a faulty turbo (because faulty turbochargers rarely cause accidents) so if money's tight that's an option (consider a rebuild kit off eBay - just search for your model turbo).

just a thoudht ,i had a diesel motor leaking a lot of fuel into sump, leave car on level ground overnight , pull dipstick out and you wil see a clean film in top of oil level ,this is diesel

Thanks for your reply . Had some issues after I replaced the fuel filter about a year ago and I didn't do any ecu reset then . so this reply made me think . So I Reset ecu a couple of days ago and the engine light came on. But it was still running ok, until I put about 800 kg of sand and gravel mix in it (work required )Drove it back ok but went to move it 10 metres and the whole street filled with thick white smoke which this car doesn't normally blow . Anyway I thought it had finally blown up and i got a lift home with my mate and went fishing to bring down stress levels . The next day (yesterday) we thought we'd give it a go driving out to my place (about a 60km drive ) and it ran like a dream hardly any smoke and more power than normal . I'm not getting to excited but I think it might have fixed it Maybe sorted out the air to fuel ratio or something. Cheers
QUOTE="tweak'e, post: 393168, member: 78"]

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your reply . Had some issues after I replaced the fuel filter about a year ago and I didn't do any ecu reset then . so this reply made me think . So I Reset ecu a couple of days ago and the engine light came on. But it was still running ok, until I put about 800 kg of sand and gravel mix in it (work required )Drove it back ok but went to move it 10 metres and the whole street filled with thick white smoke which this car doesn't normally blow . Anyway I thought it had finally blown up and i got a lift home with my mate and went fishing to bring down stress levels . The next day (yesterday) we thought we'd give it a go driving out to my place (about a 60km drive ) and it ran like a dream hardly any smoke and more power than normal . I'm not getting to excited but I think it might have fixed it Maybe sorted out the air to fuel ratio or something. Cheers
thanks for the feedback.

basically the ecu adjusts for the restriction the fuel filter makes. when you replace the fuel filter the ecu is meant to adjust to account for the change. but often fails to do so, especially if there is a big change caused by a very dirty filter. by wiping the data it forces it to start from scratch.
i would recommend changing the filter more often.

I've looked through this thread and can't find the answer - is yours an auto? If so, read on - if yours is a manual, just forget this post altogether!

Quickly take a note of how many km on your odometer, and subtract however much km you've done since it stopped smoking (so if your odo reads 110,590 and you just did 120km, the magic number is 110,470). Now, add 200 to that number.

When your odo passes this magic number, start checking your mirrors. If you notice clouds (and I mean CLOUDS) of whitish/greyish "smoke", there's an excellent chance your DPF is not regenerating properly. My own car did this. In fact, I was stopped by the Highway Patrol for a random breast test and it started billowing clouds - I shut the engine down to stop it, and noticed that as I drove away the smoke was gone! It did return later.

Turns out my DPF sensors had packed it in. A replacement set from @auggie on this forum fixed it right up, no dramas, just plug and play, didn't have to do anything else and the car's been perfect ever since.

I've looked through this thread and can't find the answer - is yours an auto? If so, read on - if yours is a manual, just forget this post altogether!

Quickly take a note of how many km on your odometer, and subtract however much km you've done since it stopped smoking (so if your odo reads 110,590 and you just did 120km, the magic number is 110,470). Now, add 200 to that number.

When your odo passes this magic number, start checking your mirrors. If you notice clouds (and I mean CLOUDS) of whitish/greyish "smoke", there's an excellent chance your DPF is not regenerating properly. My own car did this. In fact, I was stopped by the Highway Patrol for a random breast test and it started billowing clouds - I shut the engine down to stop it, and noticed that as I drove away the smoke was gone! It did return later.

Turns out my DPF sensors had packed it in. A replacement set from @auggie on this forum fixed it right up, no dramas, just plug and play, didn't have to do anything else and the car's been perfect ever since.

its a D22 and no D22 ever came out with a DPF.

Latest posts

Back