Best throttle controller?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dantheman85

Reaction score
Just wanted to know who has a throttle controller fitted and what brand? im after one for towing. Any recommendations?

What do you hope to achieve? You may get a slightly faster throttle response but no additional power or torque. My view is that if you're after such trivial changes in throttle performance, and are prepared to pay ridiculous the prices that are being charged for throttle controllers, you should probably have bought something with better performance than a Navara in the first place.

As above.

The best controller for the throttle is your foot.

Most throttle controllers are expensive resistors that just modify the signal going to the ECU making the ECU think you're putting your foot down harder than you are: but they can't send the signal past 100%. You literally are throwing money to solve a problem without solving it.

I tow a fair bit - 2.5T caravan. If I were to just use more throttle - particularly on hills - I'd end up cooking my engine really quickly. Hook up a bluetooth OBD adapter to an Android phone/head unit and run the app "Torque", watching the coolant temperature. I try not to let mine get over 105C (which is safe, you can let it get to 110 without damage, but I wouldn't let it go to 120). It gets to 105 rather easily going up a hill.

For instance, climbing up out of Sofala heading towards Bylong, I'm usually down to first gear as I near the halfway mark.

Is there a benefit in taking it easy?

When we were last at Bathurst for a race, I was parking my van and discovered coolant leaking from the motor. One of the local mechanics diagnosed a cracked head, we don't know why because it never overheated, but bought a new head and had them install it. I asked them to replace the water pump and the thermostat with new ones just in case these were the culprit (because overheating was NOT the cause - I just don't let that happen). The car had seen over 360,000km at that time.

So during the work the mechanic called me and asked me how long ago I had the timing chains replaced, because they looked nearly brand new. As did the water pump (he replaced it anyway at my request). I told him that he was the first to see the timing chains since the car was assembled at the factory.

Taking care of the car does bring rewards.

But if you're after more power, a throttle controller isn't going to do it. It will make it feel like it has, but it's really no different at all to putting your foot down harder, and that isn't going to do the engine any favours.

I have the idrive , big difference to the drive ability of the Nav,

Attachments

• DA86E5EA-B68B-4FF2-985C-ADE83EE00E97.jpeg
    DA86E5EA-B68B-4FF2-985C-ADE83EE00E97.jpeg
    355.6 KB · Views: 25
People that aren’t too fond of a throttle controller, have you guys had one to try it out?
I can't speak for others but I've never tried one, hence my questions. Bear in mind that I do understand what they can and can't do, so wonder whether there's a real difference to throttle response or if it's more of a feel-good thing. I do know of one bloke who swore black and blue that it made a massive difference to driving his car, even after his brother had secretly disconnected it, just to prove a point.

Seems the best bet would be an ECU remap to be honest. This throttle response is addressed with a remap (drivers wish if I recall Rumpigs description on his remap thread??).
Comes with the added benefit of more power all over

I have been reading this thread since it was first started.

I have a SAAS S-Drive mainly to help overcome (and not totally eliminate turbo lag, don’t think it can be done)

When stopped for a while (at the lights) I had to let my Nav creep very slowly so that when the lights changed and I then accelerated I would get instant response. So I got the S-Drive, now, it does get rid of turbo lag on ONE setting, SPORTS MODE, it gives instantaneous acceleration, which in traffic is also known as ‘change your underpants mode’.

PERFORMANCE MODE for maximum acceleration for use when dragging against the Amarok’s or any other European ute for that matter.

COMFORTABLE MODE gives smooth acceleration (still experience turbo lag)

ECO FUEL SAVING MODE give slower and smoother acceleration designed for the very grey (almost white nomad) and

ORIGINAL MODE back to factory setting.

All of these modes have a 1>9 setting, docile to aggressive, I currently use the COMFORTABLE MODE setting on 5 but when I hookup our Jayco Swan I change the setting to 7 or 8 just to take care of hill stopping (at lights, Gympie) or getting back onto the highway where there are no on ramps.

My Navara by the way is 2012 STX-550 auto (diesel) EGR blocked off and 3.5inch exhaust (nice note) and 193556 on the clock.
Eric

I have a SAAS S-Drive mainly to help overcome (and not totally eliminate turbo lag, don’t think it can be done)
Thanks Eric, that should be a handy description for those contemplating such a device. You're right in that turbo lag can't be eliminated. Reduced yes, eliminated no.

In regards to ‘change your underpants mode’, if a Navara's acceleration can make you shit your pants you should probably talk to a doctor about it.

Thanks Eric, that should be a handy description for those contemplating such a device. You're right in that turbo lag can't be eliminated. Reduced yes, eliminated no.

In regards to ‘change your underpants mode’, if a Navara's acceleration can make you shit your pants you should probably talk to a doctor about it.

hahah this is so true... my other ride is a Q5 TDI with the 3.0L V6.... I did exhaust and a tune to it, ~650nm of torque becomes very addictive, then you get into the Navara and silently die inside every time you accelerate.

To answer your other question, they do help and it's not just a placebo.. you don't magically get more power it is just adjusting the pedal to send a higher signal to the butterfly to open wider at lower pedal push.

Many cars with a "sports mode" do exactly this.. so does my Q5.

Even at WO throttle, the ECU won't ever let it be 100%, on all my cars when doing a dignostic, I've never seen a full pedal push get me more than like 85% opening of the intake.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back