Battery Recommendations

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phunk

Reaction score
Hi Guys.

Looks like my battery is on the brink of failure, she starts the car but drops down to 7.4v on the crank.. meaning it's only a matter of time. (Alternator is working fine)

Current battery is an AC Delco with 680CCA.

I really don't want to go overboard with pricing on a battery,

What are you guys running?

I've seen a few 'recommended' batteries with 610 / 620 CCA but not sure if I want to drop CCA's.

Thanks mate, 910CCA seems huge? wouldn't the stock alternator also struggle to keep a battery that big charged?

Funny you linked Batteriesdirect, that's usually where I shop
you only charge back in what the battery looses. so size doesn't really matter all that much.
alternator puts out more current than what the battery can charge at anyway. the alt is what powers the ute most of the time.

i run dual batteries (in parallel) in the old toyo and no problem charging compared to when it was single battery.
imho bigger batteries makes for better starting, especially when its cold. engine spins over faster and cranking speed is critical for a starting a diesel.

you only charge back in what the battery looses. so size doesn't really matter all that much.
alternator puts out more current than what the battery can charge at anyway. the alt is what powers the ute most of the time.

i run dual batteries (in parallel) in the old toyo and no problem charging compared to when it was single battery.
imho bigger batteries makes for better starting, especially when its cold. engine spins over faster and cranking speed is critical for a starting a diesel.

I learned this the hard way when I didn't drive the ute for over a week and looks like the dashcam and wireless charger were draining the battery via the constant on power socket (one below the stereo).

It barely spun over, but a petrol engine would have fired up.. the diesel with the extra compression struggled.

I've got one of those little Lithium jump starters, she got that jolt into it that it needed thankfully.

Hi Guys.

Looks like my battery is on the brink of failure, she starts the car but drops down to 7.4v on the crank.. meaning it's only a matter of time. (Alternator is working fine)

Current battery is an AC Delco with 680CCA.

I really don't want to go overboard with pricing on a battery,

What are you guys running?

I've seen a few 'recommended' batteries with 610 / 620 CCA but not sure if I want to drop CCA's.

Where do you live?

This is mine... chosen by previous owner.
(YD25)

20220414_093702.jpg

Thanks mate, 910CCA seems huge? wouldn't the stock alternator also struggle to keep a battery that big charged?

Funny you linked Batteriesdirect, that's usually where I shop

The stock alternator puts out 130A which is more than enough to replace the energy used when starting in just a few minutes. Let's calculate it: we know the starter motor draws somewhere around the 550A mark (give or take 50A). For 5 seconds, which is 1/(12*60) = 1/720 of an hour equals 550/720 = 0.76Ah drawn from the battery.

Yes, an AA battery holds enough power to start it, just not the voltage.

And it doesn't take long for the alternator to put it back in. Naturally the alternator's rating is its peak output and since you aren't going to idle the car at 4500rpm, it's going to take a little longer to recharge if you're just sitting in the driveway.

Latest posts

Back