Battery draining over night

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unsteadm

Reaction score
Hi, I'm having trouble with my battery draining almost flat overnight. My cranking battery is in good shape and it's quiet a big battery. I have tested with a multimeter and the touchscreen cd player seems to be drawing alot more than it should. If I unplug the harness from the back of the head unit it drops right back down. It never used to do it. So I replaced the head unit with a new pioneer touchscreen and it still is drawing to much and killing the battery. It's factory wiring the plugs into it so hasn't been tampered with. As I said it never used to be an issue it's just something that has started happening. Any suggestions would be much appreciated

Playing with the stereo often has some unwanted side effects. For better or for worse, Nissan decided to share the earth point between the stereo and the instrument cluster on some models (possibly many more than just a few). Dislodging the earth could cause the earth to run through the instrument cluster (or power to be fed by the instrument cluster). This might cause the stereo to not respond properly to the ACC OFF power loss, which means it may continue running with the screen blank.

It's easy to test: connect a jumper from the radio chassis to a good earth point.

I'm not running the factory twin batteries, it has the redarc dual battery system installed.
I will try as you suggested regarding the earth, however I had the DVD touch screen installed for a good 2 years before this problem occured and nothing has been changed or played with. It just randomly started happening

From memory the d22s don't have a ground wire in the harness, they use the antenna as the earth. I'm pretty sure I grounded mine on a nut or bolt on the metal frame behind the dash. That was using the adaptor harness too. It wouldn't hurt to try, in case the ground from the aerial has broken down over time.

Sent from my 5042G using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure they actually ground thru the brackets that bolt the unit into the dash. However I have actually ran the ground wire off the new one straight to an earth point. Could a faulty relay cause this issue?

Top right of the unit you'll see the earth, it's surprising how dirty it gets behind there after a few years. I'd be testing the unit for current draw whilst in operation and overnight. It would take a fair load to flatten a good battery so quickly. Or isolate the unit overnight by pulling the fuse, keep doing that until you find the culprit.

Latest posts

Back