Automatic hubs wont fit

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Paterson

Reaction score
Hi bought some automatic hubs for my D22, year 2015. Can't figure out how they go on or fit, anyone got any ideas.

Cozza 4x4. Free wheeling hubs

Attachments

• 20200901_203504.jpg
    20200901_203504.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 20
its not a brand i'm familiar with.
i assume it came with no instructions.

keep everything in order and pull the insides out. the bits before you get to the splines part should go on the axle, then the splined part, then the circlip (which you pull off the axle).
there is basically two halves to to hubs. one half fits onto the axle (splined) the other half bolts to the hub. there should be a part on each that mesh together when it locks. then you have the locking mech which is the part that bolts onto the hub.

i hope that sort of makes sense.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I spoken with the supplier, they got back to me today saying no they won't fit, they'll give me a credit.
Do you know of some that will fit a D22? Year 2015

Hi, thanks for the reply. I spoken with the supplier, they got back to me today saying no they won't fit, they'll give me a credit.
Do you know of some that will fit a D22? Year 2015
did they say why? it looks to be the right model.
auto hubs probably AVM.
manual hubs i would find some original ones but you need to make sure you get the bit off the axle as well as the hub part.

They had a D22 there and the machine had a look at it. He said it won't fit unless you get a conversion kit, which I have no idea what it is.
More research. Do you have any idea?
There's one guy on the North shore advertising them, don't know if they'll work though.

I've got original manual hubs on the ute just want yo change to automatic

sounds like they where missing the bit that fits on the axle. they may have been replacement hubs not after market conversions. some countries got auto hubs.
generally speaking most 4wd guys change factory auto hubs for manual hubs. auto hubs have a reputation of not working reliably.

I don't understand why you'd bother with auto hubs on a d22 anyway. Single cab 4wds had permanently locked front hubs (basically a hub cap with splines that bolted to the hub face). If you want to use 4wd without getting out, just leave them locked in. Manual hubs are awesome for low speed maneuvering because you can stick the transfer in 4lo and crawl around without winding up the transfer case.

4WD should only be engaged when road surface traction is low. you need to exercise extreme caution in how fast can you drive in 4WD high? It is not recommended to drive faster than 60KLPH in 4WD .there is always the risk of drivetrain “binding” if we don’t adhere to this rule.Driving in 4WD-Lo should not exceed 10mph. If you can safely drive faster than 10mph in 4WD-Lo, it is advisable to switch to 4WD-High,remember keep under 60 KLPH Technically, you could drive in 4WD on any paved road, but the problem is that you’ll be locking the differential ration between your wheels. That can be dangerous when you’re trying to turn the vehicle and need the wheels on either side to move at different speeds. .

I regularly stay in low range in between climbs/descents, and reach speeds up to about 40kph in 4th gear. Though I never use 5th gear in low range. On some tracks it would be a pita constantly stopping to swap between hi/lo. In some situations such as outback tracks, going over 60kph in 4H shouldn't be a problem either. The manual says not to engage 4wd on dry hard surfaces, and speeds over 50 mph (80kph) in 4H are not recommended. It also mentions to engage 4wd at least once a month.

This is what it says on the sun visor sticker on my d22.

"1. (2H): Use this position for normal driving.

2. (4H); Use this position for driving on rough, sandy or snow covered roads. Set free wheeling hubs to "LOCK" when using this position (if equipped).

3. (4L): Use this position only when maximum power and traction (eg. uphill, sandy or deep snow covered roads) are required. When using this position, always set free wheeling hubs to "LOCK" (if equipped). Speeds must not exceed 30 mph (50kph).

Note: Always stop your vehicle before shifting between 4H and 4L positions."

Last edited:
As to the original question, no idea where to get the hubs. I didn't know they made them, most off road people go the opposite way, from auto to manual hubs.

I think bods has the best idea, just leave them locked in? I doubt it'll hurt anything.

At least your system can be unlocked allowing travel in rwd if you have problems with the front unlike the common "soccer mom" feature in later utes. Apart from being unreliable they can also be problematic off road if something goes wrong in the front drive. Instead of going back to 2wd and limping out you can basically be stuck until you fix it. Have seen people grind axles off and so forth to get going again, looks a pita though.

of interest, the UK D22's never came with lockable hubs, it was permanently locked. they wore out the front prop shaft so quickly nissan issued a heavier duty version. running around locked when 4wding is fine, the km's is not large. but for wear and tear, and fuel economy they are best unlocked for normal driving.

Latest posts

Back